Warner Music chief has epiphany, praises Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    When your revenue drops over 50% I guess it's time to rethink your business model.

This better be a sign for reasonable business from Time Warner or expect that stock to tank even more.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Warner Music chief went on to praise Apple for its "beautifully designed" iPhone which includes "brilliantly written software." It has a "spectacular user interface" that "throws all the accepted notions about pricing, billing platforms and brand loyalty right out the window," he said.

You got that right!
  • Reply 23 of 27
    I don't think he believes a word he said.

He just said it to get a free iPod from Jobs.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    His comment should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure that he sees the success of iTunes and may even (begrudgingly) admire it, but I bet he's trying to encourage the wireless providers to "copy" Apple so that he will have another productive stream of revenue. In this way, he would rid himself of the need to acquiesce to Jobs just because there's no other game in town. Until other retailers create some real competition to iTunes, Apple has control. When there is competition, the record-labels will return to their position of power over the distributors. This, I'm sure, is the real motivation of his comment.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

When there is competition, the record-labels will return to their position of power over the distributors. This, I'm sure, is the real motivation of his comment.

It occurs to me that the record-labels fear that their "position of power" over distributors may be going the way of vinyl LP's. They no longer have a lock on the recording technology, or, with the interenet, the distribution channels. While it may not come soon enough, I believe the sun is setting on the major record labels as we have known them.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    stompystompy Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

His comment should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure that he sees the success of iTunes and may even (begrudgingly) admire it, but I bet he's trying to encourage the wireless providers to "copy" Apple so that he will have another productive stream of revenue. In this way, he would rid himself of the need to acquiesce to Jobs just because there's no other game in town. Until other retailers create some real competition to iTunes, Apple has control. When there is competition, the record-labels will return to their position of power over the distributors. This, I'm sure, is the real motivation of his comment.

Spot on. Initially, his comments seem flattering, but then you ask yourself, "When a businessman praises another company like this, what's he really after?"
  • Reply 27 of 27
    although the content of music and video is used differently, music for quick snippets of listening, or when doing other activities, and video (TV & movies) for extended viewing,

If the wall between Audio & video could also be cross-marketed at a slight discount, I think people would love that. I guess the trick would be tailoring the bundles...like "The Wedding Singer @ discount with the purchase of any album of artist on the movie, and bundled with ringtones and music videos"

Does this sound crazy?