Road to Mac Office 2008: Excel '08 vs Numbers 1.0

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    I'm not sure that a number of people actually read what is being written.

1) Sladuuch is 'completely agreeing that Office 2008 is the best peice of software to come out of Redmond, ever' with SDW2001 who was bashing Office 2008 and praising the Window's version - Office 2007.

2) While the article was biased, it was not overly so. Read the conclusion

Quote:

Numbers and Excel don't compete head to head across the very broad market for Excel, but for uses with less technical needs, Numbers 1.0 handily beats Excel 12 as a productivity tool. Outside of that market segment, Excel faces little competition on the Mac, as the available versions of OpenOffice have serious shortcomings on the Mac platform. That might change with work on IBM's Symphony suite for corporate users and with the continued progress on other OpenOffice distributions.*

Until that happens, Excel is a critical product for a variety of Mac users, and its availability as a Universal Binary in Office 2008 will be welcomed by users with Intel Macs. For corporate users, downside to the new Excel is no more support for macros that use Visual Basic for Applications.*

The article is crediting Numbers for addressing a specific market better than Excel, but not the general market. I think this is very true if you're trying to lay out a few numbers in a nice presentation Numbers is much easier and flexible to use IMO.

Finally, everyone seems to be skipping over the last statement (about VBA) which basically kills any sophisticated, cross-platform use of Excel. I complained loudly and often about this, and to official channels, when first announced. Unless there is some excellent translation of scripting back and forth between platforms, I can never upgrade so Office 2008 is irrelevant to me, and a number of users I know.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sladuuch View Post

I completely agree. I'm a huge Mac fan, and I use iWork every day, but boy is Office 2008 amazing. It's probably the only piece of windows software besides games that made me actively want to use Windows if only to get a change to use it. The Ribbon is a user interface revolution once you take the five minutes to get used to it. It makes the cluttered difficult UI of all previous versions of office look like they were designed by chimps. I share the sentiment that Office 2008 is the best piece of software to come out of Redmond, ever.

2007. Not 2008.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Bonjour,

For me, there are two thinks missing in Number:

- pivot table (or something else that delivers the same result) and

- target value (the app changes the value of one selected cell so a selected formula matches a target value).

So I'm still considering Office / NeoOffice.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Bonjour,

For me, there are two thinks missing in Number:

- pivot table (or something else that delivers the same result) and

- target value (the app changes the value of one selected cell so a selected formula matches a target value).

So I'm still considering Office / NeoOffice.

The simple fact that Excel '08 will support more columns is the winner for me. I need that feature.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    PowerPoint needs an update on the Mac. Mine is slow and slow and also slow. Very annoying.