Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update for Leopard users

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm getting the same error but doesn't appear to affect functionality at all.

Yeah, I have about 10-15 of them. Many are in the PrivateFrameworks section of the library. But, like you said, they don't appear to affect functionality at all. In fact, I would say that Leopard is running a little more smoothly on my MacBook.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Unfortunately, I can't get into disk utility without first entering a administrator name and password... Looks like a trip to the Apple store...

When you open the account preference, there's a lock on the left down corner which you can authenticate by typing administrator name and password. Hope this is what you're looking for.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

When you open the account preference, there's a lock on the left down corner which you can authenticate by typing administrator name and password. Hope this is what you're looking for.

Thanks Rokken, but unfortunately the box asks to enter an administrators name and password; there has never been one. The computer is locked out. I've read through the apple site for fixes, so they are obviously aware of the issue. It's interesting, that of the 5 computers we updated, only two have this issue. They are all mac book pros. Thanks for the input.
  • Reply 84 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luca Boccaccini View Post

Hey guys, PAY ATTENTION, PLEASE.

I strongly recommend G5 users to download the full-110 MB 10.5.1 update.

When I started Leopard's update process to 10.5.1 using Software Update, it detected only the 39 MB-sized version.

All went on smoothly, except for a BIG and PAINFUL issue revealed after the update: I selected the Airport on the Finder's Shared Sidebar, then I double-clicked on the folder's icon that represents the hard drive connected to the Airport base via USB

Well..... it didn't show. The "segmented wheel" on the lower-right side of the Finder's window was spinning and spinning and spinning.

I decided to disconnect all the users from the disk connected to the Airport, then I rebooted the iMac and connected such disk on an iMac's USB port.

Disk Utility revealed a fatal corruption on the USB hard drive, nothing that could be corrected.

So I give Drive Genius a try: nothing at all, even REBUILDING the drive's structure.

REMEMBER: even if (see bold up here) I disconnected from the Airport disk using one of the most reliable ways (just because "eject" icon on Finder's window, the best way among the others, didn't work), all the drive's content was corrupted, unusable, impossible to open.

Then, when I decided to download the 110-sized update and installed it on the previous smaller one, everything FIXED. Now the external hard drive can be reached when connected to the Airport's USB port.

Please, check this out and tell me if anybody else has got the same results.

Had I known there was a larger updater on the Apple site I would have done. But I thought only the subsequent COMBO updaters were the ones that were bigger than the one that first shows up in the Software Updater after a new system is installed. - i.e. 10.3.1, 10.4.1 and 10.5.1. All seems to be well so far now on both my Quad G5 and my Quad 2.66 Mac Pro.

Although I did experience considerable FW drive mounting and address problems on my Quad G5 - my FW400 EyeTV 500 ATSC Tuner failed to mount properly for a couple of hours - after applying the 10.5.1 updater from my Software Update. Plus suddenly several of my 9 FW drives would no longer stay mounted after the update - drives which had all stayed mounted just fine prior to the application of the 10.5.1 update.

I spent all afternoon and early evening moving them around and repairing one in particular - with Disk Utility - which at first would not dismount for repair, then not repair when it did dismount and then finally did repair after much rebooting and changing the FW chains among the front 400 and the rear 400 and 800 ports. I got so panicked about my iTunes volume continuing to spontaneously dismount that I moved my whole music and video library to a new albeit larger drive - 465 to 698 net GBs for safety's sake.

Now I'm wondering if I should apply this larger updater - even though nothing seems wrong so far. I don't use Airport - hard wired. I definitely downloaded it the moment I discovered your post a few minutes ago Luca. Thanks for the alert. Can anyone else shed light on why there is such a much larger 110 MB 10.5.1 update at this address than what shows up as the first updater in our Software Update application? Can it really fix stuff the smaller updaters don't address. Or was this a case of placebo when a rerun of the smaller one might have done just as well at fixing the above indication Luca experienced?
  • Reply 85 of 102
    Quote:

Thanks Rokken, but unfortunately the box asks to enter an administrators name and password; there has never been one. The computer is locked out. I've read through the apple site for fixes, so they are obviously aware of the issue. It's interesting, that of the 5 computers we updated, only two have this issue. They are all mac book pros. Thanks for the input.

The first user account created on a virgin installation of Mac OS X is an administrator. Only an administrator can create/delete accounts. I would be really surprised if Mac OS X allowed the only remaining administrative account on a system to delete itself.

All in all, I think it'd be a pretty amazing trick to end up with a computer that doesn't have any administrator accounts at all.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:

After the update, and if you try to access time machine, or verify disk - you receive a box that requires that you enter an administrators name and password; there is none for my computer, nor has there ever been one. Any ideas of a fix in sight? JFD

Passwords are not required. If you were wise enough to not enter a password when Apple asked you to in the new system opening series where you enter your Apple ID and contact info etc, then when that dialog box appears all you have to do is press enter or click on the Blue OK button for the subsequent dialog boxes to appear.

The rule I follow is that if the Mac is secure, administrator passwords are a hassle and should be skipped - leave that "enter a new password" field BLANK and agree with their warning you didn't put one in and that is OK with you. Then when you encounter prompts for a password you simply hit enter and they go away.

You can reset your password to NOTHING with your Leopard install DVD. You boot into the DVD and Reset Password is one of the utilities listed in the Utilities Menu after you choose a language.
  • Reply 87 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

I just noticed the iTunes UI is now consistent with Leopard (the faded border when it's inactive). I hadn't updated to 7.5 until just now so I'm not sure if that came in 7.5 or if that came with the 10.5.1 update. Anyone know?

Hi there. The iTunes UI was updated with the 7.5 update.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've recommended it as well, but was plastered here for saying it.

You're quite right. Running disk utility prophylactically is not risky and possibly beneficial.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

I think it'd be a pretty amazing trick to end up with a computer that doesn't have any administrator accounts at all.

If you know your way around NetInfo, it's easy, though I strongly recommend against trying unless you plan to do a clean install of the OS on that computer.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    Since updating to 10.5.1 I have not had consistent airport connections on my imac, while my powerbook has no problem connecting to the internet. Also, every time I wake the computer from sleep it takes about a minute for the airport to connect. it says "Self-assigned IP" and then a minute later it tells me it is connected. The password problem associated with airport has been corrected.

Has anyone else had airport issues with the update?
  • Reply 90 of 102
    Since I upgraded to 10.5.1, I've been having a strange issue with the keyboard on my MacBook Pro. If I use the trackpad, then I can't type for several seconds - the keyboard is just unresponsive, can't even engage caps-lock.

Anyone else having this issue?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

There is always an administrator account. I don't know why you don't know what it is, or what the name and password is.

What does the Accounts preference pane say about which accounts are on the computer? One of them HAS to say "Admin" under the name.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

You're quite right. Running disk utility prophylactically is not risky and possibly beneficial.

If you know your way around NetInfo, it's easy, though I strongly recommend against trying unless you plan to do a clean install of the OS on that computer.

NetInfo is gone in Leopard.

It's replaced by dscl.

man dscl for voluminous documentation.
  • Reply 93 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Passwords are not required. If you were wise enough to not enter a password when Apple asked you to in the new system opening series where you enter your Apple ID and contact info etc, then when that dialog box appears all you have to do is press enter or click on the Blue OK button for the subsequent dialog boxes to appear.

Not a bad idea, but his problem is that he thinks the machine HAS no admin account... not that he just forgot the password or is tired of typing it in (I use a QuicKeys macro for it).

Once he checks the box to remember the password, he won't have to authenticate as often, if he is running as Admin.

What I suspect, though, is that he is running a non-Admin account and that is why he thinks there is no Admin password. Maybe someone else limited him to a regular account.
  • Reply 94 of 102
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I used onyx to clean, delete, optimize and my computer may or may not shut down or restart. I am having to hit the power button on the back of the computer after a few minutes. I am left with the background image and the rotating clock thingy just going around and around.

I have nothing in my crash logs after numerous shut downs and restarts. Spotlight is not indexing anything, and my time machine backup is not in the middle of backing up. iDisk sync is on but not in progress when I restart or shutdown.

Any advice? \

I reinstalled 10.5.1 with the big combo updater and then relized my hdd plugged into my AEBS was off. I turned it on, it is in the basement, and after those two things, permission problems reduced and I am back to shutting down in a timely fashion. Could be quicker but who cares since I never reboot.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

Repairing disk permissions is pure voodoo.

"We" suggest to drink a sip of water, burn a match, blow it out and touch the ground before running an update.

Just to be in peace with the four elements, you know...

High-larious!
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

You know ? every once in a while I'd like to hear, instead of all the whining and complaining (less here than on Mac Rumours, I must say) someone give out a sincere, heartfelt thanks to all the software programmers who must have been working incredibly long hours to get all these updates out the door so quickly.

Thanks guys, you've done an incredible job.

Ditto on that!
  • Reply 97 of 102
    I don't know why, but the 10.5.1 update made my Leopard Install DVD stop working - repeated Failure Yellow Triangles with an explanation mark inside telling me the media is bad. I drove 100 miles RT to replace my Leopard DVD and the new one performed the same errors. I also had FW and USB HDs suddenly start spontaneously dismounting after the 10.5.1 update. Plus one wouldn't remount and the Leopard DVD Disk Utility could not repair it so it would mount. Finally gave up and put in my 10.4.4 2006 Tiger G5 restore DVD and it immediately successfully repaired and mounted that "lost in Leopard" external 500FW drive.

Something is screwy with Leopard big time after the 10.5.1 update on the Quad G5. After repeatedly getting the all these different Failure messages:

1. Installer could not validate the contents of the "BaseSystem" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

2. Installer could not validate "AdditionalSpeechVoices" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

3. The source media you are installing from is damaged. Try installing from a different copy of the source media or contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

4. The installer encountered an unknown error that failed the install. Contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

I just installed Tiger in no time from the 10.4.4 G5 restore DVD. Now running the hardware tests to make sure it isn't something besides weird software craziness in Leopard. Not having any of these problems with the Mac Pro 2.66.

Everything with Leopard was fine until I applied the 10.5.1 update from software updater on Thursday afternoon. And I used the Leopard DVD to Archive & Install Leopard from Tiger 10.4.10 on Saturday October 27. This is very mystifying behavior on the part of the computer and the system.

Hardware test crashed in the middle of checking the RAM. Does RAM fail years after it's installed? I thought that was only an issue when you first put it in.
  • Reply 98 of 102
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

I don't know why, but the 10.5.1 update made my Leopard Install DVD stop working - repeated Failure Yellow Triangles with an explanation mark inside telling me the media is bad. I drove 100 miles RT to replace my Leopard DVD and the new one performed the same errors. I also had FW and USB HDs suddenly start spontaneously dismounting after the 10.5.1 update. Plus one wouldn't remount and the Leopard DVD Disk Utility could not repair it so it would mount. Finally gave up and put in my 10.4.4 2006 Tiger G5 restore DVD and it immediately successfully repaired and mounted that "lost in Leopard" external 500FW drive.

Something is screwy with Leopard big time after the 10.5.1 update on the Quad G5. After repeatedly getting the all these different Failure messages:

1. Installer could not validate the contents of the "BaseSystem" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

2. Installer could not validate "AdditionalSpeechVoices" package. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

3. The source media you are installing from is damaged. Try installing from a different copy of the source media or contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

4. The installer encountered an unknown error that failed the install. Contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

I just installed Tiger in no time from the 10.4.4 G5 restore DVD. Now running the hardware tests to make sure it isn't something besides weird software craziness in Leopard. Not having any of these problems with the Mac Pro 2.66.

Everything with Leopard was fine until I applied the 10.5.1 update from software updater on Thursday afternoon. And I used the Leopard DVD to Archive & Install Leopard from Tiger 10.4.10 on Saturday October 27. This is very mystifying behavior on the part of the computer and the system.

Hardware test crashed in the middle of checking the RAM. Does RAM fail years after it's installed? I thought that was only an issue when you first put it in.

ouch! man.. after reading all your problems with leopard me thinks to wait for 10.6 altogether.. no seriously wtf is going on??? I have a G5 iMac, Macbook Pro CD and a C2D iMac.. wish me luck...
  • Reply 99 of 102
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I think that 10.5.1 is nice but I don't think the kinks are going to get worked out until .3. By kinks I mean the little things that piss us off like the AEBS dropping the USB disk attached to it every 36 hours, etc. One day my computer will shut down and the next day it won't.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

nope, things can stay quiet for quite some time; sometimes not always resulting in a system crash; sometimes you can experience reliability issues with some applications - applications spontaneously crashing which no one else experiences. Try resetting the memory; pull it out and run memtest86 on a PC with the memory plugged in.