Confirmed: Older graphics card not supported by OSX

Comments

• Reply 241 of 357
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

I'm sure I didn't have it in the first place. But, you know, if I become unpopular because I stand my ground then so be it. If people like you want to suck Apple's cock and dirty your nose with Job's backside be my guest.

I'll stand by and call Apple a chump when I see it. Keep my nose clean and not go down on my boyfriend.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Scott they can't help it.. when people mention anything Apple does that is bad their apologetic ears burn.
  • Reply 241 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Blast from the past. I found a link to this on Apple's Discussion forums.

<a href="http://icq.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2638154,00.html"; target="_blank">Apple: OS X galvanizes modern Macs</a>

I wonder what happened?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What happened was Apple gave it's customers the Shaft?
  • Reply 243 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by Randycat99:

<strong>

??? Similarly, Apple never made anyone think that they [Apple] were going to swap their Rage Pro for a Rage128 free of charge out of the kindness of their hearts. So what has that got to do with anything?

The point I was trying to make was that both G3 and G4 computers can run OSX and are essentially "OSX ready". However, OSX also has and will include further enhancements that utilize the Altivec unit in only G4-equipped machines. By your strict definition of what counts as "OSX ready", how can any G3 computer be labeled as "OSX ready" when they are fundamentally unequipped with an Altivec unit. Nevertheless, they do run OSX just fine (according to some). They certainly meet the basic "OSX ready" qualification as they are functional to do work on. They just don't meet your strict definition of "OSX ready". In the end, it is largely inconsequential save for a bit of speed- hardly enough to get so upset over, hardly enough to accuse others of "sucking Apple's cock", and hardly enough to accuse others of "happily taking it in the rear by Apple", etc.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh for one Altivec isn't a Core OS X Technology.

For another Apple specifically said G3s are not Altivec enhanced.

Had Apple made a claim that these ATI cards would not be OpenGL enhanced there would be no problem.

Apple wouldn't have lied.

Again Altivec isn't a CORE OS X Feature.
  • Reply 244 of 357
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Sinewave-

1st - "3-5 year old stuff" problem with your confusion is that ATi doesn't make computers, they make graphics chips, and if you know anything about sentence structure, ie you read, you would see that Apple is paying and ATi is making something. So what does ATi make? Yeah, not computers.

2nd - you still have not stated your purpose, is this too hard for you? What [clearly and concisely] do you mean to accomplish by arguing in this forum?
  • Reply 245 of 357
    [quote]Originally posted by Bogie:

<strong>2nd - you still have not stated your purpose, is this too hard for you? What [clearly and concisely] do you mean to accomplish by arguing in this forum?</strong><hr></blockquote>

We have to have a "purpose" to post here? I suppose yours is "valid" and others are "invalid". Right?
  • Reply 246 of 357
    Scott and Sinewave,

I asked about a page ago what the goal of the argument you and Sinewave are making is, I am not asking because I think it is valid or invalid I am asking because I can't determine what it is, besides wanting to bitch.

I am asking straight out for you to correct me and tell me what your goal in arguing is, both of you have side stepped my question or completely ignored it.

Now look, Scott - you lash out at me claiming that I am going to call your reason invalid when I ask what your reason is, talk about defensive. Sinewave, you just ignore my request for your purpose all together.

Here is why I am asking:

1st - To try and get this thread back on topic, it has degenerated to name calling and in my opinion should come back to topic or just get locked up because it does not comply with AI's thread policies. The topic was a discussion of support under Mac OS X for early Rage chipsets, not a shouting match, not name calling.

2nd - To figure out what the two of you [Applenut seemed to have left so now it is just Scott and Sinewave] want out of this since you are continuing to fight and bash people. If your goal is to get drivers for the graphics chips calling people here names is not going to get them written, and if you want to convince others of your side, we need to know what that side is.

3rd - To determine who [Apple/ATi] is ultimately responsible to write the drivers, who [Apple/ATi] has access the necessary information to write the drivers. I know that Sinewave and Scott both think Apple is responsible but other than the computers in question having been made by Apple and Apple saying those computers could run Mac OS X, I have seen no conclusive evidence either way. While the "Apple made the claim and the computer" argument does create a logical connection between Apple's products and their responsibility to support those products, the connection is just as well made by the fact that ATi has pledged Mac OS X support and ATi made the graphics chips. Neither is conclusive as to which [Apple/ATi] is responsible for getting it done.

So, can either of you [Scott/Sinewave] answer what your goal/purpose/point/whatever in this argument/discussion/name calling match is?

PS - Scott, no if you want to go through life without a purpose, I spose you don't need one, but if you are pushing an agenda and you want it to succeed it will help your audience to know what that agenda is.

[EDIT ADDED - Sinewave's name at the top by Scott's, the PS note, and clarified some wording in my 3rd statement.]

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Bogie ]</p>
  • Reply 247 of 357

<strong>Sinewave-

1st - "3-5 year old stuff" problem with your confusion is that ATi doesn't make computers, they make graphics chips, <hr></blockquote></strong>

We where talking about ATI supporting these machines for OS X. When you said "stuff" I believed "stuff" = computers. Stop being a ass. You know very well you weren't clear on the issue. Your arguing semantics.

[quote]<strong>

and if you know anything about sentence structure, ie you read, you would see that Apple is paying and ATi is making something. So what does ATi make? Yeah, not computers.<hr></blockquote></strong>

No but ATI makes the cards in the computers that aren't supported by OS X.

[quote]<strong>

2nd - you still have not stated your purpose, is this too hard for you? What [clearly and concisely] do you mean to accomplish by arguing in this forum?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know.. what is your purpose? I hadn't said a thing about it till some of you morons starting making fun of the people complaining about a legitimate issue. Like they had no reason to complain. I come in to support them saying I too think it's bogus and I get called a whiner and a moron. You tell me.
  • Reply 248 of 357

<strong>

3rd - To determine who [Apple/ATi] is ultimately responsible to write the drivers, who [Apple/ATi] has access the necessary information to write the drivers. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Again.. it's not up to ATI to back up Apple's claims. It's up to Apple to take the initiative to get it done. ATI did not make the OS X ready claims. Apple is responsible for their own words. Not ATI.

[quote]<strong>

I know that Sinewave and Scott both think Apple is responsible but other than the computers in question having been made by Apple and Apple saying those computers could run Mac OS X, I have seen no conclusive evidence either way.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

Sure you have. Are you saying Apple didn't make claims of OS X readiness?

[quote]<strong>

While the "Apple made the claim and the computer" argument does create a logical connection between Apple's products and their responsibility to support those products, the connection is just as well made by the fact that ATi has pledged Mac OS X support and ATi made the graphics chips. Neither is conclusive as to which [Apple/ATi] is responsible for getting it done.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

[broken record]

Again ATI never made claim that any certain chipset would be OS X ready. ONLY Apple made those claims.[/broken record]
  • Reply 249 of 357
    Sinewave you just misread my post, ignored most of it and again failed to provide an answer to my chief question: what are you trying to accomplish?

And in response, ATi has stated Mac OS X compatibility, look on their website.
  • Reply 250 of 357

<strong>Sinewave you just misread my post, ignored most of it and again failed to provide an answer to my chief question: what are you trying to accomplish?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I did no such thing. I came in here to take up for the people you guys where calling whiners for complaining about this. What are you trying to accomplish?

[quote]<strong>

And in response, ATi has stated Mac OS X compatibility, look on their website.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://support.ati.com/products/mac/motherboards/index.html"; target="_blank">http://support.ati.com/products/mac/motherboards/index.html</a>;

ATI Chips in Apple iMac and PowerMac Systems

Display drivers and multimedia applications for ATI chips that are factory-installed in Apple iMac and PowerMac systems are NOT available for download from ATI Technical Support.

Please refer to Apple Technical Support for assistance and drivers.

Not only that I don't see anywhere that ATI states it supports OS X on these chipsets.
  • Reply 251 of 357
    Just a For Your Information Post here:

In the hopes of confirming that either it is Apple's responsibility or that it is in fact ATi's I am emailing ATi to ask their tech support about their OS X compatibility. I know Sinewave and Scott will tell me that some how asking for the facts from the source that knows is a copout I am going to do it anyway. Here is the little info I found on their site.

<a href="http://support.ati.com/"; target="_blank">http://support.ati.com/</a>;

BUILT BY ATI

ATI Retail products are manufactured by ATI and may be identified by the "BUILT BY ATI" logo.

"BUILT BY ATI" products will also have a 100 part number on the retail packaging, as well as a 102 part number on the PC Board.

support on BUILT BY ATI products