Apple slashes prices on Macs and iPods for 24-hour sale

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Same, old Apple with the really lame discounts. "Slashes" prices? More like scrapes prices. Why would I want to pay $138 for a nano when Apple charges sales tax almost everywhere? Go to Amazon and even at full retail price with free shipping, it's less than what Apple charges "on sale." However, Amazon is also selling the nano for $138 with free shipping, so it beats Apple hands down. There is almost never a reason to buy from the Apple online store.

By charging sales tax they make it easier on you since technically you are supposed to claim that unpaid tax at the end of the tax season.

But I do agree, $101 off a 24" iMac isn't exactly a huge deal. But the margin isn't all that high on computers anyway.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

By charging sales tax they make it easier on you since technically you are supposed to claim that unpaid tax at the end of the tax season.

But I do agree, $101 off a 24" iMac isn't exactly a huge deal. But the margin isn't all that high on computers anyway.

Apple has 30% margins on their products.

They make out like bank and my stock is doing quite well.

I just don't go for a sales tax cover charge as being a sale.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Isn't "slashing" a bit emphatic? At best, Apple has given prices a very modest trim (10% or less).
  • Reply 24 of 26
    That's not slashed, more like a grazed.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Does anyone know if Apple typically has any other sale days besides "Black Friday"?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBStar View Post

Does anyone know if Apple typically has any other sale days besides "Black Friday"?

Don't expect much of a discount ever from Apple. Just wait for the post Christmas sales and see what you can get out of a regular retailer, or what Amazon might offer.

I looked long and hard at the Black Friday sale and found it totally underwhelming except for obsoleted junk Apple had in the remainder bin.