MacBook wireless suffering after recent Mac OS X updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Owners of Apple's 13-inch notebooks are reporting that their Wi-Fi access is much less reliable after installing Mac OS X Leopard or more recent updates to Mac OS X Tiger, especially when the systems switch to battery power.

System users in Apple's discussion forums (one, two), as well as those speaking directly with AppleInsider, say the problem first surfaced after the appearance of the Mac OS X 10.4.10 update this summer and so far is known to affect most models, though reports are currently scarce from buyers of Apple's fall 2007 units.

The exact behavior of affected systems can vary slightly, but appears to largely be connected to the computer's power supply. While the connection remains largely stable when plugged into an AC adapter, switching to battery power renders the wireless link intermittent and in many cases drops network access entirely when idle.

"Whenever I unplug my AC adapter, my wireless Internet goes a little crazy and starts continually disconnecting and reconnecting moments later," says one owner.

Users often can't detect nearby networks after restarting the card through software, but can almost always regain a dependable connection after reattaching the power plug. A handful of owners report having to restart the computer to restore the Wi-Fi connection, however.

To date, the intermittent connection issue has not been publicly acknowledged by Apple and affects systems regardless of subsequent Mac OS X updates. Both the recent 10.4.11 update and all current versions of Leopard continue to exhibit the symptoms of the problem, although some note the situation improving for their systems after the most recent upgrades to both Leopard and Tiger.

For those still affected, successful workarounds have included reverting to Mac OS X 10.4.9 when possible, and setting up commands in Terminal that send out data to keep the connection active. But since the issue does not occur when running Windows XP or Vista in Boot Camp, several users say Apple has no reason to leave the apparent flaw unresolved.

"Wi-Fi works OK under other OS X releases and also with Windows Vista running on the MacBook hardware," says one report. "Apple's engineers need to quit playing with their iPhones, roll up their sleeves and look for bugs."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Very interesting! I bought a MacBook in late September with Tiger 10.4.10 on it. Right from the day, wireless has been troublesome! I do not run Windows on this, but also have a Thinkpad running Vista. When placed side-by-side, the Thinkpad will maintain strong signal averaging 75-85% whereas the MacBook will connect and reconnect often, particularly when on battery power or when resuming! Upgrading to 10.4.11 does not seem to fix the issue - I can detect no increase (or decrease) in stability of the wireless connection.

I hope Apple rolls out a patch for this issue soon...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Owners of Apple's 13-inch notebooks are reporting that their Wi-Fi access is much less reliable after installing Mac OS X Leopard or more recent updates to Mac OS X Tiger, especially when the systems switch to battery power.

System users in Apple's discussion forums (one, two), as well as those speaking directly with AppleInsider, say the problem first surfaced after the appearance of the Mac OS X 10.4.10 update this summer and so far is known to affect most models, though reports are currently scarce from buyers of Apple's fall 2007 units.

The exact behavior of affected systems can vary slightly, but appears to largely be connected to the computer's power supply. While the connection remains largely stable when plugged into an AC adapter, switching to battery power renders the wireless link intermittent and in many cases drops network access entirely when idle.

"Whenever I unplug my AC adapter, my wireless Internet goes a little crazy and starts continually disconnecting and reconnecting moments later," says one owner.

Users often can't detect nearby networks after restarting the card through software, but can almost always regain a dependable connection after reattaching the power plug. A handful of owners report having to restart the computer to restore the Wi-Fi connection, however.

To date, the intermittent connection issue has not been publicly acknowledged by Apple and affects systems regardless of subsequent Mac OS X updates. Both the recent 10.4.11 update and all current versions of Leopard continue to exhibit the symptoms of the problem, although some note the situation improving for their systems after the most recent upgrades to both Leopard and Tiger.

For those still affected, successful workarounds have included reverting to Mac OS X 10.4.9 when possible, and setting up commands in Terminal that send out data to keep the connection active. But since the issue does not occur when running Windows XP or Vista in Boot Camp, several users say Apple has no reason to leave the apparent flaw unresolved.

"Wi-Fi works OK under other OS X releases and also with Windows Vista running on the MacBook hardware," says one report. "Apple's engineers need to quit playing with their iPhones, roll up their sleeves and look for bugs."

• Reply 2 of 56
    Mine has been like this for a while, it sucks!
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjharary View Post

Mine has been like this for a while, it sucks!

Mine was like this for a long time as well, after upgrading to Leopard and updating to 10.5.1 the issue is almost non existent. Only a minor glitch when waking from sleep 1 out of 10 times I would say.

Steve
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I have had the same issue with my 15 inch MacBook Pro (Purchased in Aug) running Leopard and all the current patches. When I accidentally disconnect the power supply and reconnect it I loose the connection to my Linksys wireless router (WRT300N). If I disable airport, then re-enable it, the connection comes back most of the time. Once I had to do a reboot to get it back. Additionally I noticed that the signal strength meter only shows 50% when power has been removed and restored. Normally the meter shows 100% as I am usually 15 feet away from the router.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Well I'm glad I'm not going crazy, I've been having wireless issues with my 1st generation black MacBook since upgrading to Leopard. Applying the 10.5.1 update did nothing for me and it doesn't matter whether I'm on battery or connected to the power adapter. The Macbook acts like it's having DNS issues, you'll go to Google and Google is fine, but then go to Yahoo! and the pages won't load fully and I can't get to my Yahoo! e-mail account. If I shut off the Airport connection and turn it back on everything is fine for about 5 minutes, then it starts acting up again. Sometimes it takes a reboot to fix the problem. I've been using it connected via a network cable since I upgraded it to Leopard and that seems to be the only way it works reliably. My Ubuntu notebook and Vista Media Center PC all work fine (at least until Vista decides to crash, which is often). I'm about two seconds from wiping the Macbook and going back to Tiger, but the aggravation in backing up all my stuff and re-installing all my applications once again has kept me from doing it so far. Here's hoping Apple comes out with a fix soon.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    I bought a MacBook one week after they were announced in June 2006. I have not experienced the problem at all, and after installation of Leopard have seen increased throughput and reliability. I currently have 10.5.1 installed. Perhaps it only involves the 802.11n MacBook models?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I had many problems with my MacBook Pro when running 10.4.10 to the point I was ready to purchase a new router. But I have to admit the lost connection issue disappeared once I upgraded to 10.4.11.

--Dave
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Airport strength has dropped a bar or maybe two.

Batter time has gone from 3+ hours to less than 2 on a full charge.

Reset everything - PMU NVRAM PRAM, let it completely die twice...

No improvement.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    From what I've read, the problem is that some sort of power saving feature of the AirPort card does not play nicely with certain routers. This is why you'll have a large handfull of people with the problem (using the unfriendly routers) and some who do not have problems at all.

I never experienced this problem with my 13in Macbook or MacBook Pro on my Linksys WCG200 router, however, when I switched over to a 2Wire router, both laptops began experiencing this problem immediately; great connection while plugged-in, spotty connection and frequent disconnect when on battery.

I think there is actually a technical article posted by Apple covering this issue and their solution was to buy an AirPort Base Station, seesh. If I'm able to find the URL to the article before someone else does I'll post it here.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by portablecow View Post

I think there is actually a technical article posted by Apple covering this issue and their solution was to buy an AirPort Base Station, seesh. If I'm able to find the URL to the article before someone else does I'll post it here.

Interesting if true. I have a September 07 MacBook and an Airport Extreme and I have no problems.

Haven't had any problems under 10.4.10, 10.5 or 10.5.1
  • Reply 11 of 56
    I have an old macbook 2Ghz(802.11g) and have been using 10.4.8 up to 10.4.10 and now leopard and wireless has always been and is very stable. I have an Airport Extreme basestation(100Mb) as router.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    I have had issues with wireless and Leopard (10.5.1) among other things. Wireless says its connected, but I cannot browse and .Mail cannot connect. Upon repairing permissions and restart, everything is fine. My issue is not related to power I do not think.

Not pleased with Leopard's speed or stability right now.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I have a MacBook Pro which has always had a few problems, but it became more frequent after upgrading to 10.5 and 10.5.1. In fact, I lose my WiFi several times a day. I've found that the only way to restore it is to turn off Airport and then turn it back on.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I am having the same issues. I just bought a 2.16Ghz Macbook about 1 week ago.

Running 10.5.1.

I am plugged into AC power

Airport Extreme Router (Gigabit) version 7.2.1

I am connected to an external monitor via mini-dvi to vga

Tried both WPA and no wireless security

Laptop lid is closed

Power settings are set to not sleep, do not turn off monitor, and do not turn off HDD

At night I've left my NZB downloader running and each morning I wake up and I've lost connection. I can regain it be either rebooting or turning the airport card off and then on again.

I have also had issues during the day where I will also lose connectivity.

Hopefully Apple addresses the issue soon...
  • Reply 15 of 56
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    I have the macbook pro 17 incher, and as soon as I installed the new kitty, my connection became weaker than it used to be... but that could also be because I swtiched from an AirPort Extreme to the Express the same time. But even when I sit right next to the router, the most I get is 80% conectivity, and sometimes, the internet goes VERY slowly... My airport express also cuts out for minutes at a time...
  • Reply 17 of 56
    "Apple's engineers need to quit playing with their iPhones, roll up their sleeves and look for bugs."
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

"Apple's engineers need to quit playing with their iPhones, roll up their sleeves and look for bugs."

Reseting your Airport Extreme. I took it too Apple Store and after Trouble Shooting they said resetting will do the trick. It has been running Awesome for over 2 weeks.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    My wireless networking sometimes quit responding and I have to turn Airport off from the menu and back on to get networking working. I don't have to do it on my PC. It's a pain but the user interface is pretty. I have a TRENDnet wireless router and have WPA turned on.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    I personally haven't had any problems with my macbook Pro, but my roommate who is using a 13" Macbook was having this exact problem and we are using an Airport Extreme router. Our third roommate hasn't said anything about having a problem and he's using a (i think) Dell laptop running windows...

My roommate with the macbook was having problems with 4.10 and the only thing that ended up fixing the problem was to downgrade to 4.9, and now he's working fine on the internet. also he was experiencing the problem connecting to the wireless even when connected to power.

So don't really know what it means but it seems like it was 4.10 since downgrading to 4.9 fixed it not to mention no other computer had a problem connecting to the router.