New Google Maps feature could simulate GPS on iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...e-users_1.html

"Google Maps with My Location will use GPS data to locate the user if the phone has the capability."

"A user pulls up Google Maps and hits the zero key on the phone. A blue dot will appear on the map in the user's location. If the service used GPS in the phone, the blue dot will be solid. If the service used cell towers to determine the location, the blue dot will have a halo around it, indicating that the location isn't precise."

"Google says the cell tower technique will locate the user within about 1000 meters. It doesn't use triangulation, which calculates a user location based on the user's distance to three nearby towers. Instead, it essentially shows the range of the tower that the user's phone is connecting to."

The problem is that the iPhone does not have a built in GPS, nor can it communicate with an external GPS receiver. If Apple does not want to put a GPS in the iPhone, they should at least allow users to pair the iPhone with a bluetooth gps unit and run their choice of mapping software.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Hmmm, won't load past the Terms and Conditions page on my SE phone. The previous version worked.

Never mind, I've got TomTom Mobile and MGMaps (uses Google or Yahoo) on the phone still and those are better.

I wonder when Apple will update the iPhone version. Surely there must be a new firmware release soon. There's been no real new features on the iPhone since launch.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I wonder when Apple will update the iPhone version. Surely there must be a new firmware release soon. There's been no real new features on the iPhone since launch.

This update depends on how closely Apple is working with Google. Hoepfully it will come out with the 1.1.3 update, but I'm guessing it'll be in the 1.2.x versioning.

I, too, have a Tom Tom--which kicks ass--so I have no need for a GPS in my cell phone to drain my battery. I also don't want a camera in my cell phone but I obviously don't speak for the majority. C'est la vie.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I, too, have a Tom Tom--which kicks ass--so I have no need for a GPS in my cell phone to drain my battery. I also don't want a camera in my cell phone but I obviously don't speak for the majority. C'est la vie.

I have TomTom Mobile running ON my mobile phone, not a separate TomTom box. It doesn't drain my mobile as it's plugs in to the power socket. It's got almost all the features of a TomTom Go box but with a 3" screen, which is the only downside. I was using someone else's TomTom Go XL today. Nice size although it did crash a couple of times on a 4 hour trip.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    A few things:

Accuracy: (This has already been talked about, but never the less...)

Urban Areas – Accuracy is usually around 50m. While this isn't perfect obviously, if you can see a street sign or a landmark building in an urban area, you know exactly where you are within the approximated region and you didn't have to type anything in to the phone to do this.

Adjustment – If google maps allows you to adjust your dot in a drag and drop manner, the problem of (lack of) accuracy is improved. All I have to do is look at a building or street sign, find it on the map, and slide my dot over to that intersection or building. This is made even easier with Satellite imagery.

Rural Areas – Accuracy will be approximately 100m. If you are in a rural area, however, a 100m range is nothing compared to the density of rural areas. For instance, rural blocks are 1 square mile, usually, so My Location will tell you what road you are on as there are no other roads around!

Most cell phones that use what is referred to as "GPS" is actually A-GPS, Assisted GPS, which uses a combination of regular GPS and cell phone triangulation to improve accuracy in poor-signal conditions.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randykato View Post

Ummm... iPhones have a native Google Maps app. And I have lots of games on mine.

Wake me up when you have games that are more than simplistic widgets:

http://www.michaelyuan.com/blog/2007...mobile-phones/

The fact that the iPhone cannot currently run the thousands of free third party games and apps out there is a big negative for many people.

PS. I guess you'll just have to wait IF they ever update your "native" google app...meanwhile, most people can just download and try out the new google app TODAY.

"In order to use the service, phone owners must download a free application from Google. The application will work on BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, and Symbian phones as well as many phones that support Java"

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...e-users_1.html
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

The fact that the iPhone cannot currently run the thousands of free third party games and apps out there is a big negative for many people.

Really? I don't know anyone who knows how to get free games into their standard AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/ Whatever-else phones. Most people if they want games shell out a couple bucks to download them from the wireless provider.

I would bet that the logical course would be downloaded games from the 'iTunes on iPhone" store... along with music and eventually TV Shows / Movies. (I don't just mean the WiFi store, but over the wireless network)
  • Reply 28 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will it have features like turn by turn voice prompts and automatic rerouting if you go off course? If not, then I would rather have someone make a mapping application for the iPhone which can be paired with a bluetooth GPS receiver.

With a thousandm accuracy? It doesn't actually know where you are, or if you missed a turn until you're well past it.

Besides, I doubt if it can do any of it.

At any rate, 10 city blocks varies depending on whether they are avenue block directions or street directions. 10 street direction blocks is much shorter than 1 Km.

So what direction are they talking about?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

Really? I don't know anyone who knows how to get free games into their standard AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/ Whatever-else phones. Most people if they want games shell out a couple bucks to download them from the wireless provider.

Must be real hard to use your mobile browser to surf to a website and click on a download link

And btw, so what if you need to pay a few bucks for some good games or apps? It's a capitalistic society right? At least they CAN download real apps and games, not just browser widgets
  • Reply 30 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asj2007 View Post

Must be real hard to use your mobile browser to surf to a website and click on a download link

A lot of phone companies don't let you download any games, or whatever, except for specially written ones from their own link, unless, that is, you have a smartphone.

9quote]

And btw, so what if you need to pay a few bucks for some good games or apps? It's a capitalistic society right? At least they CAN download real apps and games, not just browser widgets [/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to bet that not too long after the SDK becomes available, we'll see plenty of "real" games, and programs. A lot of Palm, Win Mobile, Blackberry, and Symbian developers will find the iPhone to be just dandy, even if Apple limits them in some way.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

PS. I guess you'll just have to wait IF they ever update your "native" google app...meanwhile, most people can just download and try out the new google app TODAY.

That depends on if you want to use it right now with beta flaws and all. Or patient enough to wait after some refinement and it works better.

Quote:

Will it have features like turn by turn voice prompts and automatic rerouting if you go off course? If not, then I would rather have someone make a mapping application for the iPhone which can be paired with a bluetooth GPS receiver.

It will be interesting to see what Apple will do. Maps on the iPhone already has a routing feature but it does not know where you are at all times. Apple may not use My Location until this has all been worked out.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    What an awesome video! I like when big companies go lo fi, and it was really well explained. I think it's a useful function. I tried the same function back in 2003 or so when it was introduced in Sweden. Telia had it working already by then, and I must say it was pretty useful.

I think it is likely that it'll show up in iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Essentially, the My Location feature takes information broadcast from mobile towers near non-GPS equipped mobile phones to approximate the device's current location on the map down to about 10 city blocks.

"It's not GPS, but it comes pretty close (approximately 1000m close, on average)," the Mountain View, Calif.-based search giant explained on its website. "We're still in beta, but we're excited to launch this feature and are constantly working to improve our coverage and accuracy."

Sounds like Google is taking too much credit here. If it's in their J2ME app, aren't they just calling the existing API to get the location on devices that support it? Or have they worked out some deal to directly access tower info from providers? If it's the former, I don't see how Google is "constantly working to improve" it, as it's just a built in feature of the phone. If the latter ... can you say privacy issues?!?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asj2007 View Post

Nope, no need to wait. I'm using Navizon TODAY.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Sounds like Google is taking too much credit here. If it's in their J2ME app, aren't they just calling the existing API to get the location on devices that support it? Or have they worked out some deal to directly access tower info from providers? If it's the former, I don't see how Google is "constantly working to improve" it, as it's just a built in feature of the phone. If the latter ... can you say privacy issues?!?

There is no privacy issue. Google cannot tell a name or number, just that a cellphone (any cellphone) exists in a certain location.