A new mac pro in 2008?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shell Dweller View Post

I have a question for anyone who knows about current/future hardware...

What are the odds of the new Mac Pro changing its hard drive controller from SATA to a new technology?

I have pre-purchased 3 Hard Drives (Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s) in anticipation of the new upcoming Mac Pro release - and to offset my income tax this year. My 30-days are almost up to return them and I am having some second thoughts. I do not want to be stuck with these if there is some new technology bandwagon they might jump on.

Any advice would be appreciated!

AFAIK it should be SATA, SATA2, or SATA?. I think SATA protocol is backward compatible, but I'm not sure about it. Although I have not been informed of any new technologies. There could be a small Solid State drive to compliment all new Macs that would reduce boot times, but other than that I have heard of nothing. Though I am not looking that hard. I like to be surprised, in a good way, at Mac events. The new FireWire might Make it in, but those wouldn't be used as your main drives, and that's a long shot at that. UNless SJ is holding Mac Pro's just for that I wouldn't expect too much.
  • Reply 42 of 42
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shell Dweller View Post

I have a question for anyone who knows about current/future hardware...

What are the odds of the new Mac Pro changing its hard drive controller from SATA to a new technology?

I have pre-purchased 3 Hard Drives (Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s) in anticipation of the new upcoming Mac Pro release - and to offset my income tax this year. My 30-days are almost up to return them and I am having some second thoughts. I do not want to be stuck with these if there is some new technology bandwagon they might jump on.

Any advice would be appreciated!

While I wouldn't bother prepurchasing drives considering how fast technology cheapens, you're in no danger of those drives being obsolete in the next few months. SATA/SAS is the standard for HDs right now. Apple is not about to move to ultra320, SAS and SATA are faster, cheaper, and newer. Nothing else is going to come out and sweep them away for a while. And even if Apple puts SAS backplanes instead of the cheaper SATA ones in the new Mac Pro, your SATA HDs will work fine (just not the other way around).