iWork dents Office share; Nokia/Universal music; iPod giveaway

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

..."Nonetheless, the growth may largely be the result of the delayed arrival of Office 2008, which is now expected in January. iWork's sales are likely to drop once the Microsoft suite upgrade is release, the research group says...."

Not anything to do with Office for this family pack buyer, I was NEVER going to buy office at any time, it has always been my intention to buy iWork, Pages ROCKS for what it is and doesn't suffer the mark of M$.

Bah, Appleworks beats them all! Shows what could've been done, if Apple perhaps decided not to just throw out an entire suite of programs and take the long arduous task of starting over from scratch.

But the quoted text is probably not correct. I doubt iWork's sales are likely to drop because of Office. They may drop percentage-wise due to the demand for office. But iWork's sales, if they drop, will more due to the fact that those who want it bought it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

PS can the mods PLEASE do something about that STUPID F**KING AD banner for JEEP at the top of the screen, that flashing is bound to be a potential epilepsy trigger and at the very least is F**KING annoying! seriously I don't wanna swear, but thats.. too much.

PithHelmet, dude, PithHelmet.

Or AdBlock and Firefox.

I find AdBlock worlds better then PithHelmet. It's easier to see what objects are on a page, and what will be blocked. It also has the ability to get ad info from various places, and keep it updated, so you can just not worry about it and block everything.

PithHelmet's good if you like the 'just block general stuff', but I've found it blocks non-ads too. It also stops links to the iTMS from launching iTunes (but I haven't delved deeply enough to know why or how to re-enable it).

BTW, I prefer to target my blocking. Some sites get blocked because the ads are just ridiculously annoying (hello, yahoo, msn, macnn, etc). Others I specifically don't block for I may actually want to see the ad or support a page's sponsors (and the ads are nice and non-annoying).

Of course, I missed out on the whole "whack-the-mole, win a free iPod" flash ads. I'm still sickened by it.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    I can definitely see why iWork is stealing away from MS Office. Wow, I switched to iWork when Office for mac couldnt support the new Docx format and the beta program from MS didnt do jack for me. I failed a test because I couldn't open this document. Oh well, thats fine, I figured out different solutions. I have loved everything about iWork. Yes there are features apple needs to work on, but, Pages has been available for not even a fifth of the time MS Office has been around. Of course there will be some lacking features. All in all, Pages works great for me, and Keynote kicks powerpoints ass from here to the moon and back. I havnt had to work with numbers.

The problem I have with MS Office is that everyone knows it, there isnt strong competition (till now) the programs are crap. I dont find much different from pages to word. But powerpoint is the worst program ever. Keynote took all that was wrong with power point and made it good. I dont know how anyone would want to use powerpoint again. HELL adobe acrobat makes better presentations than powerpoint.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    I too love iWork

But I don't use it (daily) for two reasons:

1. I don't want to have to export Word docs for others, then have two versions of a doc...

2. I use complicated spreadsheets that numbers can't even open, much less run..

But that doesn't mean I don't like them, I just can't use them...
  • Reply 24 of 24
    "Comes With Music?" Yikes. First "Ovi," now this.

I guess it must sound nicer in Finnish.....