Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1500, 3G iPhone by June - report

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    Ecking gets it.

This is basically shaping up to be a great machine for using on planes and for the accompanying business. Anything that requires serious content creation (of any kind) gets done prior to the trip. The rest of the time is just spent making little corrections, conducting email, or doing similar things like that. If this thing delivers the way I hope it will be, it could also be a trojan horse for getting more Apples into corporate IT budgets. The Intel switch helped a lot, and now they need to go to the next step.
  • Reply 122 of 140
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    just curious but how could this not be less than 13"? Otherwise it's just a thinner macbook without an optical drive. what's all the excitement about? Even if it's 12" so what. 10" or at the max 11" but with some touch screen features and I'd understand the hype.
  • Reply 123 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

just curious but how could this not be less than 13"? Otherwise it's just a thinner macbook without an optical drive. what's all the excitement about? Even if it's 12" so what. 10" or at the max 11" but with some touch screen features and I'd understand the hype.

I'm not sure what is the minimum screen size that can take a normal size keyboard. If there is very little bezel, 13.3" might be it.
  • Reply 124 of 140
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    The 12" Powerbook had a normal size keyboard and that wasn't even widescreen. An 11" widescreen LCD could easily be the same width. In fact, if my calculations are right, a 10" LCD with a 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio is exactly the same width as a 12" 4:3 LCD.
  • Reply 125 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

The 12" Powerbook had a normal size keyboard and that wasn't even widescreen. An 11" widescreen LCD could easily be the same width. In fact, if my calculations are right, a 10" LCD with a 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio is exactly the same width as a 12" 4:3 LCD.

ok so there you have it. If it's not 10" or less it's not worth the hype unless you don't currently have a Mac laptop. For anyone else who has a Mac laptop unless you got cash to burn or are frivolous with your money I don't think many people would be buying a "new sub-notebook" if it is 12" or 13" (without an optical drive to boot). No pun intended :P I mean really what would be the point in upgrading.

Ok so did I answer my own question? This new fandangled notebook is for wanna be OS X switchers?
  • Reply 126 of 140
    the fact is we aren't sure and if apple insider says 13.3 screen, that's my story and im sticking to it!
  • Reply 127 of 140
    I just a new message that read:

Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1

Until I noticed that I had resized my Mail window.

Oh, well.
  • Reply 128 of 140
    If its anything like the sony vaio 11.1"....but thinner.....count me in.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    Bringing the discussion back to the SSD thing.

I think that would be sweet.... but check this out

over $3K for a samsung 128

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609245

EH! idk I guess apple will be able to get them cheaper obviously... but will there be an option of the bigger drive or will it only be the 64?
  • Reply 130 of 140
    does anyone think this is going to push down macbook prices? Or are they just going to drop the black macbook?
  • Reply 131 of 140
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 640x800 View Post

Bringing the discussion back to the SSD thing.

I think that would be sweet.... but check this out

over $3K for a samsung 128

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820609245

EH! idk I guess apple will be able to get them cheaper obviously... but will there be an option of the bigger drive or will it only be the 64?

This has been repeatedly mentioned but you simply can't go by the price of a SSD from the like of Samsung (or anybody else) as this has nothing to do with the cost of the parts to Apple. Further Apple has the potential of a number of implementations including their own custom silicon. Also along the line of one more thing, Apple has a unique relationship with its FLASH suppliers.

In any event the cost of storage won't be a limiting factor in build one of these for sub $1500.

Dave
  • Reply 132 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I just a new message that read:

Apple sub-notebook to retail for $1

Until I noticed that I had resized my Mail window.

Oh, well.

Isn't that realasation the worst?
  • Reply 133 of 140
    I'm buying a brown Zune. Man, I can't wait.
  • Reply 134 of 140
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This has been repeatedly mentioned but you simply can't go by the price of a SSD from the like of Samsung (or anybody else) as this has nothing to do with the cost of the parts to Apple. Further Apple has the potential of a number of implementations including their own custom silicon. Also along the line of one more thing, Apple has a unique relationship with its FLASH suppliers.

In any event the cost of storage won't be a limiting factor in build one of these for sub $1500.

Dave

Of course it does. Apple hasn't invested heavily into SSD to guarantee a discount like it has done for the iPod line.
  • Reply 135 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Of course it does. Apple hasn't invested heavily into SSD to guarantee a discount like it has done for the iPod line.

Just where do you get the idea that there is a difference? Flash is Flash! Sure there are speed grades and process variations but do you really think they will be using a different form of Flash.

The controller is an issue for sure. But Apple has options here for interfacing the flash to the processor bus. One option is a custom controller. Do note that Apple just recently submitted a bunch of patents related to different flash technologies. It is not like there is a vacuum over California sucking the engineering talent out of the state you know. Well there is a sucking sound over California but I think that is due to the Hollywood set.

The only thing that makes a SSD a SSD drive is the controller chip communicating with the CPU. In effect it is the interface between the Flash chips and the I/O bus. That I/O bus can be just about anything, SATA, PCI Express, USB, Firewire and what have you. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple went straight to the PCI Express port on the I/O controller.

Dave
  • Reply 136 of 140
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:

I hope your joking
  • Reply 137 of 140
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The idea behind a ultra portable is actually "ultra-light-weight". Apple's going to dump as much as possible. we're talking everything off it. This is for the day tripper, not somebody who needs their primary machine. I personally tote around two 15" MacBook Pros into San Francisco every single day + accessories power adapters, and survival gear, ends up around 38lbs of bullcrap. While my case is extreme for reasons I won't explain... I will jump on the ultra-portable having owned a duo.

Apple's going to make the portable no thicker than an REAL notebook pad, and super light weight. I don't want a 10" notebook novelty. 13 inch is barely big enough to get business done on and i don't care if the screen is 17 inches as long as it weights 2lbs.

Optical drive will be gone (i'd rip them out of my 15" macbook pros if I could),

The only thing you will be getting is ethernet, video out. Possibly connections through a dock pad.
  • Reply 138 of 140
    Quote:

You are awesome. Thanks for adding comic relief to the thead.
  • Reply 139 of 140
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

Apple hasn't made any such SSD heavy investments and it has to post these for it's stock holders.
  • Reply 140 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple hasn't made any such SSD heavy investments and it has to post these for it's stock holders.

They have invested in flash production. Both with their suppliers and internally with respect to R&D, which is known to the public. In any event you missed the whole point a SSD is nothing more than Flash and a controller chip. The high prices realized with respect to solid state disks is the result of larger profits. There is nothing to keep Apple from delivering a Flash storage solution with its own custom silicon at a reasonable price.