Which MacBook to get?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    I have 4GB and I max it out occasionally.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    I've had it for about 5 hours now and so far, so good! It's hard to put it down! I do have a question that I'll post related to shared computers so look for it so you can answer!
  • Reply 23 of 26
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clucas View Post

I've had it for about 5 hours now and so far, so good! It's hard to put it down! I do have a question that I'll post related to shared computers so look for it so you can answer!

Glad to hear its going well.

When I switched back to a mac from a pc, I had a period of about a month where it seemed awkward to work on my Mac. I was used to running spyware and virus programs daily. Not doing that and other troubleshooting on the Mac seemed unnatural at first. Then it became second nature to work with the Mac.

Now I hate to work with a pc.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I'm an ol' Windows veteran, planning on fetching a Mac this spring. Please advise, you cogniscenti?

I'm a web designer. I seldom (well, let's say, never) use more than two USB ports at a time. I DO use a smart card/SD card slot (to be handled by Apple Express card). Looks like, the POWER (cpu, memory, possible disk capacity for MY needs) are ample and about the same, on both Macbook and Macbook Pro. I'd want to run Parallels/Windows.

So, now. The differences, as I count them, are: Macbook Pro has larger screen, one more USB port, aluminum case. Macbook has camera, and could be less expensive, equally equipped. Is that about it?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

I'm an ol' Windows veteran, planning on fetching a Mac this spring. Please advise, you cogniscenti?

I'm a web designer. I seldom (well, let's say, never) use more than two USB ports at a time. I DO use a smart card/SD card slot (to be handled by Apple Express card). Looks like, the POWER (cpu, memory, possible disk capacity for MY needs) are ample and about the same, on both Macbook and Macbook Pro. I'd want to run Parallels/Windows.

So, now. The differences, as I count them, are: Macbook Pro has larger screen, one more USB port, aluminum case. Macbook has camera, and could be less expensive, equally equipped. Is that about it?

The biggest difference is the dedicated GPU on the MBP. The Macbook uses integrated graphics. If you don't need the graphics card the Macbook is a good choice.

The MBP has an integrated isight camera like the Macbook.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The biggest difference is the dedicated GPU on the MBP. The Macbook uses integrated graphics. If you don't need the graphics card the Macbook is a good choice.

The MBP has an integrated isight camera like the Macbook.

What would I gain from a "dedicated GPU"? (What IS a GPU, pray tell? Sounds like, I'm guessing, a Graphics Processing Unit? Does this sound like something a web designer, who, indeed, uses Graphics, needs?)

I have an HP dV5000 now, and also an ol' IBM Thinkpad A31...would a Macbook have graphics equal in quality to those two?