First year Apple TV sales fall below expectations

Comments

• Reply 81 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

The aTV does support 1080i and 720p...

Are you sure about that? The aTV specs page says maximum resolution is 1280 by 720. I don't doubt you can *connect* it to a 1080 TV and it will upscale, I'm talking about being able to output 1080i much less p.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

People will eat Soylent Green if that's all that's offered.

So...are you saying you think people will watch it? Because it looks like it is all that will be offered, at least for now.
  • Reply 82 of 222
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It's illegal to eat chicken with a fork in Gainesville, GA ( Link ), that doesn't mean it can be enforced.

RIAA is not breaking down doors of people who use handbrake; P2P - now that's a different story

Yes, Apple does need more content. but that does not make AppleTV a failure.

Just because it isn't, or can't be enforced doesn't mean it's right to do.

The point I was making is that very few people do that, so to them, the reason you have for using this doesn't apply.
  • Reply 83 of 222
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But there is 1080p content available. Why would you say otherwise?

Virtually none.

As far as I know, all broadcast is 720p or 1080i.

Frankly don't know if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD release are currently 1080p.

But I have no ego invested in being wrong about the amount of 1080p content.

There is no 'wow' factor between 1080i and 1080p. I've seen both on good systems.

Its not what will drive the market.... HD is barely doing that on its own.

The improvement over even DVD quality is a diminishing logarithmic curve.

My point is that simply that 1080p has zero bearing on AppleTV's success.

Now 5:1 audio, that's another story, but that's an issue with the content, not the box.
  • Reply 84 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

1) The most flexible DRM I've seen (can you even rip to CD with other DRMs?

2) and they were supposed to do what then? Not get the biggest concessions from the labels ANYONE to that point was able to get? Not provide any content other than your own collection.

Audible does provide many of their audio books in a DRMed format burnable to CD. I think if you bought tracks from the Napster service, you could write to CD.

I don't understand what you're saying about point 2. I just don't see why Apple wouldn't allow "Fairplay" interoperability except to be grinches.
  • Reply 85 of 222
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

jobs should let them try it their way. If it then fails, then fine, they tried, and it didn't work.

Jobs did let NBC try it their way - NBC is doing it now, just not dragging Apple's iTunes name down into mud in the process...
  • Reply 86 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

What has been released in 1080p? Doing a quick search in google, I'm not even sure where I'd find any.

All Blu-Ray content is 1080p. All HD-DVD content is 1080p, even though the cheaper players can only show it as 1080i.
  • Reply 87 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I can't see an internet provider streaming 1080P uncompressed to all the households in NYC. I don't think it's technically possible and even if it were it would be financially inviable. Who's going to pay for all this extra bandwidth that the internet can magically make appear?

ALL 1080p content is compressed. It's either H.264, or MPEG 2. It wouldn't have to be sent as uncompressed.
  • Reply 88 of 222
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple and Microsoft provides 1080p trailers and teasers. Most Blu-Ray and HD DVD movies are 1080p.

ooh wow. trailers!

How's that rollout going for either of those, btw.

As I said... diminishing returns, and consumers by and large get it. They're being forced to shell out for hardware and content replacement for what is at best a marginal improvement.
  • Reply 89 of 222
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Are you sure about that? The aTV specs page says maximum resolution is 1280 by 720. I don't doubt you can *connect* it to a 1080 TV and it will upscale, I'm talking about being able to output 1080i much less p.

I have my aTV connected to my 1080p capable 46" philips via HDMI. I set the aTV output settings to output 720p (it gave me the option for 1080i but I prefer progressive)...

The aTV does upscale...
  • Reply 90 of 222
    Quote:

So you would have wished Apple to appease NBC by forcing you to pay double what you were paying before and let NBC force you to buy suckier shows with the shows you were buying before? Somehow I think you'd be bitching about Apple bowing to NBC's stupid wishes if that happened...

The idea is to let them try. If people then didn't buy the product, they would quickly understand. But to not let them try means that no one will ever know.
  • Reply 91 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not what it would do but in what it would have- and that is content to purchase and play as in NBC shows- comprendez?

it DID have that, it's not Apples fault NBC is run by a moron.
  • Reply 92 of 222
    If it supported more formats including .ts and .mkv, .avi and xvid, etc. and outputed them with 7.1 surround as well as let me rip my DVD's to my computer and play them on it I would have gotten one. Instead I built my own HTPC which does the job.

Apple TV's only purpose is to get apple's DRM'd itunes stuff on your TV.
  • Reply 93 of 222
    Quote:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

You're right about that.

Quote:

So...are you saying you think people will watch it? Because it looks like it is all that will be offered, at least for now.

People bought VHS recorders and used the 6 hour speeds and tapes, so yes, I would say that quality is not an issue for most people.
  • Reply 94 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Virtually none.

As far as I know, all broadcast is 720p or 1080i.

Frankly don't know if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD release are currently 1080p.

Only a small fraction of Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is anything less than 1080p. There are some exceptions.

Quote:

But I have no ego invested in being wrong about the amount of 1080p content.

There is no 'wow' factor between 1080i and 1080p. I've seen both on good systems.

You previously said it didn't exist, but then you say you've compared them?

Some displays have deinterlacers, but many don't. I think that's a big factor. The size of the set does make a difference too.

Quote:

Its not what will drive the market.... HD is barely doing that on its own.

Yes and no. It's growing, it's just that the cost needed to come down. The projections are a third of US homes will have an HDTV set this year. I'm pretty sure it's passed 25%.

Quote:

The improvement over even DVD quality is a diminishing logarithmic curve.

My point is that simply that 1080p has zero bearing on AppleTV's success.

You could have made that point without adding an unnecessary statement based on blind assumptions.

Quote:

Now 5:1 audio, that's another story, but that's an issue with the content, not the box.

It's partly an issue with the box too, though maybe it's upgradeable to a sufficient extent. It would either need to support DD playback, be decoded internally and sent out HDMI/recoded to DD, or have a receiver that decodes AAC5.1, which I haven't heard of one.
  • Reply 95 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry- Wrong! If you buy a song from iTunes you are locked into buying iPods unless you convert it into another format and then rip it again to your hard drive.

you are clearly wrong and clearly a troll
  • Reply 96 of 222
    Quote:

Jobs did let NBC try it their way - NBC is doing it now, just not dragging Apple's iTunes name down into mud in the process...

What they are doing now, is showing commercials, and not charging. That's not what they, and Apple, were disputing. The was no issue of NBC having free, commercial supported content on iTunes.
  • Reply 97 of 222
    I don't know what all the surprise is about. Selling nearly 1 Mio of AppleTVs in the first year sounds great to me. how long did it take to sell 1 million iPods???

Also the first revision of the iPod probably nevery made it to the 1 Million.

I am sure the second revision of the Apple TV will sell even better. There are so many possible improvements on hand that no matter which ones Apple will choose, the thing will be much better:

-make it a full Mac (Mini)

-add DVD or Blueray or HDDVD support

-allow for a 3.5" 1TB HDD

-support HD COntent

-add Bluetooth for wireless keyboard

-online content purchase

-add DVR

-allow for browsing the internet on big screen TV
  • Reply 98 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Why is he wrong?
  • Reply 99 of 222
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    NBC wanted to raise prices for individual tv shows on iTunes as high as $4.99 and when Apple refused they pulled their library and offered them for free (with advertising) on their own website instead. Doesn't seem like a wise business move for NBC unless they are getting massive amounts of money from advertisers which I somehow doubt is the case for online content.
  • Reply 100 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Actually, he's right. If you want to take your itunes music with you you have to use an ipod. Nothing else works with apple's DRM. And while you can't put purchased music on it from any other service you can put MP3's on it. So if you want to buy music online and have an ipod you are locked into itunes and vice versa.

I have an ipod loaded with music, I use itunes, however I don't buy music from itunes.