Briefly: More sightings of mysterious metallic grey MacBooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    New Macbook is a bit thicker than people have been suggesting

• Reply 42 of 116
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though noticeably thinner but otherwise similar in size to the company's 13-inch MacBooks, the notebook appeared to have a metallic sheen to it, which set it apart from the current black MacBook.

[...]

Still, there has been no definitive evidence to link these sightings the company's sub-notebook project, which has been detailed (1, 2, 3) by well-respected sources over the past year and is due to culminate early next month with an introduction at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

[...] Apple is also likely working on more slender consumer MacBooks, which could at times be confused with the upcoming sub-notebook.

I see AppleInsider is preparing folks for what some of us made clear in the past: a 13" laptop does not equal an "ultra-portable".

Now it's a "sub-notebook".

In January, it will be a "slightly thinner ... MacBook".
  • Reply 43 of 116
    Why doesn't my macbook float?

I feel gypped....
  • Reply 44 of 116
    and the iSlipper

• Reply 45 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I see AppleInsider is preparing folks for what some of us made clear in the past: a 13" laptop does not equal an "ultra-portable".

I see AppleInsider suggesting that there's the distinct possibility that there are two distinct and separate products in development.

From what I am gathering, one is an ultra thin 12-inch notebook; the other a re-designed replacement for the present 13.3-inch MacBook, clad in a metallic form factor, most likely aluminum.
  • Reply 46 of 116
    Insider source reveals Apple's return to their former design. If it works for fashion, why can't it work for technology too?

Don't you all miss the trackball? And manual screen controls?

Wow!

This design a la the PowerBook 100. Enjoy!
  • Reply 47 of 116
    I have one of those, as well as a PowerBook 140 and a 145. They don't have a good battery between them, and the 145 has a wonky inverter, but they still run fine.
  • Reply 48 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

That's almost guaranteed. After 5 years the MBPs need new styling and a new keyboard. They'll probably all be a bit thinner. I think the new thin machine will be a MBP, I can't see why they wouldn't charge a premium for it, $1500 seems a bit cheap.

If its 1500, then that would have to be for like a 32 ssd. Actually, I'd guess it was for one with an HDD but it is unclear if the super thin design would fit that (ssd are lighter, but often come in the same size shell as the HDD drive, but as another poster mentioned, they may opt to install the ssd flashes right on the motherboard as they are looking for a very tiny case and super thinness).
  • Reply 49 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Prove it. You are defining touch by apps based on previous UI constraints not multi touch methodology. Apps will become more visual, think Bento, Delicious Library. Even spread sheet apps could benefit. Btw graphic arts is one of Apple largest sectors. The mouse is NOT accurate. Spend some time with a Wacom Cintiq and you may see how the mouse is flawed. Btw apple makes the worst mouse out there. The mighty mouse scroll pea is a joke.

How are these applications more visual? You mean they're prettier? How does any of it help with touch? Not only is my index finger large, it's covering the thing that I'm trying to point at. Ditto for pens. I just can't see it. If you have some sort of theory (which doesn't involve Apple being the almighty) I'd love to hear it. Also multi-touch isn't a methodology. It's a useful technique for getting a little bit more from a touch screen, not a breakthrough in computer science.
  • Reply 50 of 116
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

An all aluminum lineup though? I think that might start to seem a little dull. Although if they threw in black anodized aluminum, that might help.

It could be even more subtle:

A white Apple logo on the aluminum Macbook and a sexy black Apple logo on the aluminum Macbook pro.
  • Reply 51 of 116
    imatimat Posts: 216member
    I wonder if the look is going to be similar to the iMac in regards of the choice of materials. Morevoer I also wonder if they are going to keep the backlit Apple Logo on the back of the computer (one of the best marketing inventions in computer history if you ask me).

If the MacBook (not PRO) is going to somewhat borrow the iMac looks, which it should (just like the white plastic theme previously) I wonder how the PRO line is going to be shaped. Apple has to combine, in my opinion, the minimalistic and classy look with one that stands out in the crowd, as many users are grown used to it/love it.

A black Mac, plain and simple as seen in some photoshopped images, would not stand out or be innovative enough for Apple. It would get too "normal" and even "boring".

I love my MacBook white, and like the design of the iMac (alluminium) my girlfriend has. On the notebook however, one is much more "tied" with regards of design. So the choice of materials, the small little details, are the ones that make a difference.

That said, I am also looking forward to see what the PRO line design is going to look like. Creating an "alluminium iMac" like design for the MacBook PRO line would not make sense at all.

All in all I am really looking forward to my second MacWorld as a Mac owner. It is an exciting moment (not for my bank, if you ask them).

Personally I still hope that the AppleTV gets a hefty software revision and content is available in more and more countries.

This time around, I'll make sure I don't buy into any "hobbies" from Cupertino, but only in real products (btw. AppleTV does a lot of stuff I like, in a way I like, I just concentrated on the biggest shortcoming).

• Reply 52 of 116
    Quote:

Wow! Apple certainly have balls. I was given a sneak preview the other day of the new Ultra Portable.

Apparently they are targeting the female/homosexual market...

Yes like that one but with spider silk as previously mentioned. Sony used woven clotted Gnat's milk for a carry case on their latest sub-note offering. Hope Apple are sourcing similar earthy-but-fashionable materials.

Powderdust
  • Reply 53 of 116
    Ultra-portable or no ultra portable... the MBPs are definitely getting an overhaul... and the MB may end up with some improvements as a ripple-effect... for example, obvious upgrades like - better graphics capability... more colours including metal casing... superdrive replaces combo-drive in the base model MB.... thats about it for now I think....

... that is exactly why I have put off my MB purchase till after Steve's Keynote... I can feel something cooking in Cupertino.... I can smell it... and it smells delicious... smack!
  • Reply 54 of 116
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macrazy View Post

... superdrive replaces combo-drive in the base model MB....

This is probably the most important of all. Superdrive + same price for the base model.
  • Reply 55 of 116
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Prove it. You are defining touch by apps based on previous UI constraints not multi touch methodology. Apps will become more visual, think Bento, Delicious Library. Even spread sheet apps could benefit. Btw graphic arts is one of Apple largest sectors. The mouse is NOT accurate. Spend some time with a Wacom Cintiq and you may see how the mouse is flawed. Btw apple makes the worst mouse out there. The mighty mouse scroll pea is a joke.

Agree 100% on Apple mice, the first thing I do with a new Apple is ditch the mouse. I was speaking of mice in general.

The problem with Touch is, it's fine for brief use, ultra-portable, dialing a number, perhaps manipulating in Illustrator (though personally I'd go with a Wacom) and so on. For long term, consistent use as a mouse replacement like you're saying, it's just not ergonomic. Holding a Touch based iTablet® in your lap constantly will lead to neck strain, and placing it on your desk while still positioning it for touch ability leaves the screen position lacking. You mention spread sheet apps, most of the time I spend using Excel or Access (come out with a Mac version already!) is done with typing, which is possible with an iPhone style touch keyboard, but not as quick or efficient as an actual keyboard.

It will also be pretty tough to put a 24" iMac touch in your lap if you want to. (I'm just saying...)
  • Reply 56 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elt_rbd View Post

True, but i haven't seen a sense of playfulness in here....

I am sure it's in the eyes of the beholder.

FWIW, here is how I read the responses to your post: (1) Apple never stays still for very long, so it is fairly certain that, within a few months of your purchase, you will see the same product with more features (offered at the same price at which you bought); (2) If you are worried about something like that, you'll probably never buy Apple, ever; (3) Assuming you need it now, buy what is now available, enjoy it, and move on -- you'll probably want to upgrade in a few years, when the same cycle of angst and self-doubt will start all over again.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 57 of 116
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Do those MacBooks require users to enter an iTunes account and credit card number before they can use it at all?
  • Reply 58 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Agree 100% on Apple mice, the first thing I do with a new Apple is ditch the mouse. I was speaking of mice in general.

The problem with Touch is, it's fine for brief use, ultra-portable, dialing a number, perhaps manipulating in Illustrator (though personally I'd go with a Wacom) and so on. For long term, consistent use as a mouse replacement like you're saying, it's just not ergonomic. Holding a Touch based iTablet® in your lap constantly will lead to neck strain, and placing it on your desk while still positioning it for touch ability leaves the screen position lacking.

If they are thinking like I am, this touch computer isn't designed to be your only computer. If you buy an Apple TV or an iPhone, you have to have a computer to sync them too, this would be similar. Although it would be a fully fledged Mac it would only be designed for like work, email and web browsing / communication. Also, it would be great for use on the couch, great as an Apple TV (when they make a good one) remote. Great for watching movies, etc. etc. When you get back to your desk and dock it, it asks you if you want to sync back up your document edits you have made. It would be designed for a person who doesn't leave the desk too often and wants to be able to get work done anywhere, which is a lot of people in my opinion.
  • Reply 59 of 116
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If they are thinking like I am, this touch computer isn't designed to be your only computer. If you buy an Apple TV or an iPhone, you have to have a computer to sync them too, this would be similar. Although it would be a fully fledged Mac it would only be designed for like work, email and web browsing / communication. Also, it would be great for use on the couch, great as an Apple TV (when they make a good one) remote. Great for watching movies, etc. etc. When you get back to your desk and dock it, it asks you if you want to sync back up your document edits you have made. It would be designed for a person who doesn't leave the desk too often and wants to be able to get work done anywhere, which is a lot of people in my opinion.

As a second computer yes, but not as a primary/only PC. That's what I thought you were getting at with your previous post.

It would be nice to be able to afford a second Apple computer! \
  • Reply 60 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

The problem with Touch is, it's fine for brief use, ultra-portable, dialing a number, perhaps manipulating in Illustrator (though personally I'd go with a Wacom) and so on. For long term, consistent use as a mouse replacement like you're saying, it's just not ergonomic. Holding a Touch based iTablet® in your lap constantly will lead to neck strain, and placing it on your desk while still positioning it for touch ability leaves the screen position lacking. You mention spread sheet apps, most of the time I spend using Excel or Access (come out with a Mac version already!) is done with typing, which is possible with an iPhone style touch keyboard, but not as quick or efficient as an actual keyboard.

It will also be pretty tough to put a 24" iMac touch in your lap if you want to. (I'm just saying...)

What you are missing is that if you add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to a tablet that is mounted on a arm (like a smaller iMac)...