Apple iPhone (2.5G EDGE) vs. Nokia E61i (3G UMTS) website loading shootout

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Features' matter little to the average user unless they can be easily accessed and used.

They matter a whole load more than 'little' when they aren't there though.

I also find it a little patronising that you seem to think the S60 interface is somehow beyond the abilities of the kind of geek that wants an N95 multipurpose brick.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They matter a whole load more than 'little' when they aren't there though.

I also find it a little patronising that you seem to think the S60 interface is somehow beyond the abilities of the kind of geek that wants an N95 multipurpose brick.

1) [Lots of use]*(Fewer relevant apps) > [Little use]*(LOTS of not-so-relevant apps).

2) We'll see what S60 amounts to if/when it actually shows up in use. I'll keep an open mind.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

1) [Lots of use]*(Fewer relevant apps) > [Little use]*(LOTS of not-so-relevant apps).

ok, but the iPhone is currently [No use]*(No relevant apps) for many people.

If the iPhone doesn't have the app or function you need then the few apps it does well are totally irrelevant.

Quote:

2) We'll see what S60 amounts to if/when it actually shows up in use. I'll keep an open mind.

S60 is on it's 3rd edition (and feature pack 2 of that). A naming convention worse than Microsoft.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

ok, but the iPhone is currently [No use]*(No relevant apps) for many people.

If the iPhone doesn't have the app or function you need then the few apps it does well are totally irrelevant.

S60 is on it's 3rd edition (and feature pack 2 of that). A naming convention worse than Microsoft.

Yeah I can't wait for FP2. N96 should be the first device to use FP2.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Ah, FP2 of the 3ed. of S60 for the N95/96! That's easy ....
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Ah, FP2 of the 3ed. of S60 for the N95/96! That's easy ....

And the that's just the UI. The OS underneath is Symbian OS v9.x (I think it's 9.1 on the N95).
  • Reply 27 of 32
  • Reply 28 of 32
    i've found this to be true myself. i previously had a palm 700p and a moto q on verizon's ev-do service. while they both serve very well as mobile modems, when you browse on the phone interface itself they're not much faster at all than the iphone on 2.5g. in fact, i'd say that the productivity edge (so to speak) goes to the iphone by a large margin. blazer and ie mobile both render pages so strangely that some sites are nearly unusable. iphone safari is amazing as a web browsing experience on a small device. i use my iphone for web browsing more than i did my treo and my moto q.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Im sorry that chart is for what the US only?

The chart represents all mobile web browsers for websites that participate in the survey. Since web traffic can come from anywhere in the world I doubt it is being segregated to the US.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The chart represents all mobile web browsers for websites that participate in the survey. Since web traffic can come from anywhere in the world I doubt it is being segregated to the US.

Where 'participate in the survey' = run Hitslink.com's counter.

I've usually got very little faith in web analytics software, especially companies like NetApplications or Hitwise but you can obviously see there's something up with their stats when Windows Mobile is three times more widely used than Series60. Either their sampling is wrong or their user agent sniffing is wrong.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...ame=M&qpsp=107

It must be pretty tricky to keep up with user-agents in mobile phones especially when fighting over less than 1% of the market.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I've usually got very little faith in web analytics software, especially companies like NetApplications or Hitwise but you can obviously see there's something up with their stats when Windows Mobile is three times more widely used than Series60. Either their sampling is wrong or their user agent sniffing is wrong.

I guess it can also depend on the participating sites. But I also found it curious that Windows was so much larger too.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I guess it can also depend on the participating sites. But I also found it curious that Windows was so much larger too.

The stats would tally with US patterns for mobile phones of course so if the participating sites are almost entirely US based then it kind of makes sense as the US market is a entirely different to the rest of the world.

Running a hosting company, I get to see the actual stats for the sites I host. I host a lot of cycling sites given my background and people I know in that industry. I compared the stats Hitwise were publishing in the cycling sector a while back. I hosted 4 of their top ten IIRC at the time and knew the stats of the No.1 site in the UK, since I own a third of it. It just didn't bear any reality to our actual stats or indeed the ranking of the sites I knew the stats of although it was kind of weird knowing our site was busier than the BBC's RadioTimes and Cosmopolitan.