Cloverfield

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Saw this, this weekend. Pretty cool movie.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

4. Watch the very first minutes of the movie carefully, you'll need it to understand the ending.

I guess I missed it. I didn't know there was anything to "get" about the ending.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    SPOILERS FROM HERE ON IN:

The first few minutes are obvious, we are watching the replay of the video recorded by Hud and Rob recovered from the victims of the Army's bombing attack on the monster. You see that on the screen, "Video recovered from Area 447 aka Central Park, New York City". The persons viewing it is obviously military or government people.

At the ending of the film the video skips back a month before the attack to when Rob and Beth were lovers at Coney Island amusement park. If you watched carefully, there is a streak of smoke or an object far away crashing to Earth. Seems that he recorded the arrival of the creature?

Also this...seems that this video leaked out on the web has something to do with this? Maybe not but it's interesting...though I don't think the connection to the surviving clip Rob made a month prior at Coney Island fits with this.

http://www.break.com/index/leaked-sc...overfield.html

Another thing, I left before the credits ended. Stupid. Because I've read online that there was a final audio recording. Something garbled, but some people took the audio and reversed it. Supposedly it says, "It's (I'm) still alive."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-oj4-fZsc

Sounds like this movie will have a sequel.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON IN:

At the ending of the film the video skips back a month before the attack to when Rob and Beth were lovers at Coney Island amusement park. If you watched carefully, there is a streak of smoke or an object far away crashing to Earth. Seems that he recorded the arrival of the creature?

I don't think the Coney Island scene was meant to capture the arrival of the monster. Abrams did an interview, where he said it was under the ocean for thousands of years:

Quote:

?He?s a baby. He?s brand-new. He?s confused, disoriented and irritable. And he?s been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years.?

link
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I don't think the Coney Island scene was meant to capture the arrival of the monster. Abrams did an interview, where he said it was under the ocean for thousands of years:

link

Yeah, I missed that interview. So the "streak" in the video might be just an artifact of the video. But the link to the oil rig video seems more likely now. And a sequel.

By the way J.J. Abrams is directing the new Star Trek movie. There's a grainy copy of the teaser online...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZePr-R-PU

What about this? Seems promising.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

I thought Alfonso Cuarón did a fantastically realistic job with "Children of Men". Though it wasn't the end of mankind, I give him balls to have most of the entire cast die by the end of the film.

Also, the original "Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price is free to download/watch on the Internet Archive.

I agree, Children of Men was quite an achievement in "film-realism" (other than the floating hologram computer thingy, which was completely underdeveloped as a concept... the computer in Minority Report was far better designed).
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

Yeah, I missed that interview. So the "streak" in the video might be just an artifact of the video. But the link to the oil rig video seems more likely now. And a sequel.

By the way J.J. Abrams is directing the new Star Trek movie. There's a grainy copy of the teaser online...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZePr-R-PU

What about this? Seems promising.

I did catch the movie yesterday. It was quite convincing in it's use of digital effects, especially the vastness and emptiness of the NY streets. Also, the first face-to-face appearance of the creature is hair-raising. Overall, I'd give the effects a '9 out of 10', but the story and acting about a '6 out of 10'. If you're a 15 year old boy, you'll probably dig it.

One thing I can never get used to... there were 3 or 4 families with little kids at this movie. Stupid. This is violent and nightmarish imagery that will scare little kids to death.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree, Children of Men was quite an achievement in "film-realism" (other than the floating hologram computer thingy, which was underconceptualized).

I have seen three movies (& I'll include Children of Men) that have had endings that aren't "good" or "happy" endings. I find that refreshing actually. Some only believe that movies are only there to entertain or make us feel good. Well that is an important factor, but films should also enlighten us or make us think too.

Chrildren of Men - The "hero" dies and we are left with the hope that the girl and her child is rescued and even survives. We aren't shown a sparkly, shiny beach with her and her child playing. We just have to believe that good will come from this.

There Will Be Blood - A man who never stops, never gives in and with deception, greed and murder takes himself straight to his own Hell. Not your run of the mill success story.

Cloverfield - Even when Rob tries to redeem himself and his relationship with his girlfriend, he and her die from the very people thought to protect us from anything. And we still are given questions at the end whether humanity prevailed from this attack (there were slight references to 9-11 in this movie too).

No Country for Old Men - Evil can't be stopped, it moves on and reappears like a ghost and many who fight evil will just plain give up and let another sucker to take the mantle.

All these films have a distinctive link, that some directors want to show an audience that beyond the celluloid and fantasy there is reality and that life is not anyway like the movies. Yet these films frame it in such a way that the art shines through.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:

I did catch the movie yesterday. It was quite convincing in it's use of digital effects, especially the vastness and emptiness of the NY streets. Also, the first face-to-face appearance of the creature is hair-raising. Overall, I'd give the effects a '9 out of 10', but the story and acting about a '6 out of 10'. If you're a 15 year old boy, you'll probably dig it.

I agree, the storyline was thin, but it's a plain old monster movie. Also, this movie reflects our society's craving for "reality". Since the Real World and all it's incarnations, people want everything to give off a sense of "reality". Another element is the YouTube factor. This film I think succeeds in it's view of how vain and self centered some people have become in real life. Honestly, if you were being pursued or attacked by a monster, would you be videotaping every minute of the experience? That's why I think the character Hud is portrayed as more or less a moron from the beginning, so we don't really question his motivations ("I'll just keep documenting").

But how many morons have you seen on YouTube videotape themselves leaping head first off their suburban home, blowing themselves up or video tape a tornado going by their house.

Quote:

One thing I can never get used to... there were 3 or 4 families with little kids at this movie. Stupid. This is violent and nightmarish imagery that will scare little kids to death.

Same thing happened when I saw Blair Witch. Though the imagery wasn't a factor, it was the sounds and screams that freaked out the 1 year old baby.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    I'm sorry but I have to interject here- the most important part of the movie is the STAR TREK XI TRAILER IN THE BIGINNING! Come on, people!
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

I have seen three movies (& I'll include Children of Men) that have had endings that aren't "good" or "happy" endings. I find that refreshing actually. Some only believe that movies are only there to entertain or make us feel good. Well that is an important factor, but films should also enlighten us or make us think too.

Chrildren of Men - The "hero" dies and we are left with the hope that the girl and her child is rescued and even survives. We aren't shown a sparkly, shiny beach with her and her child playing. We just have to believe that good will come from this.

There Will Be Blood - A man who never stops, never gives in and with deception, greed and murder takes himself straight to his own Hell. Not your run of the mill success story.

Cloverfield - Even when Rob tries to redeem himself and his relationship with his girlfriend, he and her die from the very people thought to protect us from anything. And we still are given questions at the end whether humanity prevailed from this attack (there were slight references to 9-11 in this movie too).

No Country for Old Men - Evil can't be stopped, it moves on and reappears like a ghost and many who fight evil will just plain give up and let another sucker to take the mantle.

All these films have a distinctive link, that some directors want to show an audience that beyond the celluloid and fantasy there is reality and that life is not anyway like the movies. Yet these films frame it in such a way that the art shines through.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw There Will Be Blood. That movie was 'bloody' brilliant.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

I'm sorry but I have to interject here- the most important part of the movie is the STAR TREK XI TRAILER IN THE BIGINNING! Come on, people!

It was an interesting portrayal of the Enterprise being built with traditional ship-building tools, although it makes no logical sense. It would make more sense to assemble such a massive structure in pieces in space, or maybe even on the moon. Oh, well.

One thing I've noticed about J.J. Abrams projects is they usually feel somewhat 'safe'... in other words, relying on previously established movie conventions too much. In the case of this film, he took a lot of Cloverfield from Godzilla and Aliens. I think it could have gone even further with the freak-out factor.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

It was an interesting portrayal of the Enterprise being built with traditional ship-building tools, although it makes no logical sense. It would make more sense to assemble such a massive structure in pieces in space, or maybe even on the moon. Oh, well.

One thing I've noticed about J.J. Abrams projects is they usually feel somewhat 'safe'... in other words, relying on previously established movie conventions too much. In the case of this film, he took a lot of Cloverfield from Godzilla and Aliens. I think it could have gone even further with the freak-out factor.

it makes more sense to assemble a self propelled craft where the resources are than where they need to be shipped at great expense...
  • Reply 33 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

it makes more sense to assemble a self propelled craft where the resources are than where they need to be shipped at great expense...

Hell, they designed the thing to land in emergencies anyways.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    You're not watching it getting built, it's getting refit. Because this is Kirk's first command of the ship...he's actually taking over for Captain Pike, who ran the ship before he did.

When Captain Christopher Pike found out that he was going to be replaced (by Kirk of all people) he found a back alley garage that would strip the enterprise of all its useful parts, even most of the hull. This story is building upon a canceled episode where Pike was using the ship as his pimp-mobile and some hookers got killed (probably from Harry Mudd's brothel). The censors didn't like it back in the sixties because it was too similar to a real life story involving NASA.

It's a trailer (Teaser no less) people. I watched the original Star Trek with my Dad when I was six years old. We watched every one until it was canceled. I started watching it again as re-runs in the seventies and realized how sparse and simple the effects were, yet still held my interest. The stories helped, they held new meaning as a teenager (so did Yvonne Craig).

I think that Abrams is going far beyond retro here. We'll just have to see.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Yeah, I missed that interview. So the "streak" in the video might be just an artifact of the video.

maybe not...

Quote:

Remember this last shot in the film of our intrepid heroes at Coney Island, enjoying a post-coital day of amusement? Apparently something huge splashes down into the ocean in the background. We missed it, but if you couple it with the translation from the graphic novel that says the Japanese Tagruato corporation's satellite fell from orbit, then bingo. You've got the alarm clock that woke up the monster from its deep-sea slumber.

really just speculation, I guess.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe not...

really just speculation, I guess.

Good link, I followed it to the Manga comic that seems to be another J.J. Abrams genius of marketing. Seems the manga is a prelude to the movie. It's all in Japanese, but I'm beginning to see the thread. It all seems to involve this fictional Tagruato corporation.

This movie will be big in Japan.