Mac Mini Update?!?!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    I have a mini and what's wrong with the mini? Yes it's a cheap Mac and theirs nothing wrong with it. A lot of people (Including me) don't have $2000+ to spend on a Mac. The mini might not be as powerful as the iMac or Mac Pro but, it certainly gets the job done for me. If they discontinue the mini I will be very disappointed at Apple for discontinuing a product that is selling great and has nothing wrong about it.
  • Reply 62 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plaidfork View Post

I have a mini and what's wrong with the mini? Yes it's a cheap Mac and theirs nothing wrong with it. A lot of people (Including me) don't have $2000+ to spend on a Mac. The mini might not be as powerful as the iMac or Mac Pro but, it certainly gets the job done for me. If they discontinue the mini I will be very disappointed at Apple for discontinuing a product that is selling great and has nothing wrong about it.

Boy are we a bit excited or what?

There are lots of things wrong with the Mini. Of course that is not a big issue as every model computer has its issues.

In any event when the Mini gets riped from the line up it will get replaced with something better. That is what people are talking about here, a better product. Better does not mean more expensive, just that it will have a feature set better suited to the common problems of the future.

Dave
  • Reply 63 of 110
    I have the $600 Mini, the one with the 80 GB and the 1.8 GHz C2D - installed 2 GB of $40 RAM I bought from newegg, and I pulled the 2nd DVD burner in had in my PC tower, put that in a 5.25 external case, and it works like a champ.

The GMA 950 is weak, and I wish it at least had a GMA x3100 (HW T&L).

I do wish Apple would sell a desktop that used standard desktop parts:

1 x 3.5" bay

slot-loading DVD burner (possibly a 5.25" bay, if done right)

desktop DDR2 RAM slots

desktop CPU

802.11n

Doesn't have to have a replaceable video card, but an Nvidia 8600 at the minimum, especially since Apple trumpets Boot Camp all the time.

Dual DVI ports - I run dual monitors on my PC, and it's hard to go back to just one.

And most importantly, the RAM and hard drive must be easily replaceable - I've opened up my Mini to replace the RAM, but I didn't enjoy it, and I'm never that nuts about external drives.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaEsperanza View Post

I think it was more his small-man-syndrome coming out. You know, guys with not much in their pants need big computers to compensate. Hence his hate for a sub-$2500 computer...

???

Make idiotic statements much?
  • Reply 65 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

make it desktop with pci-e slots and maybe also have on board video so you can have systems with out video card.

Why is it that every post you make says almost exactly the same thing?

Just make it part of your signature and post something worth while instead.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Isn't that called the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 67 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Not at all - the Mac pro uses server parts; Socket 771, ECC DDR2, a BTX-based motherboard design.

Edit: Most PC OEM's use BTX boards too, but they still use standard desktop RAM and CPU's.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I have the $600 Mini, the one with the 80 GB and the 1.8 GHz C2D - installed 2 GB of $40 RAM I bought from newegg, and I pulled the 2nd DVD burner in had in my PC tower, put that in a 5.25 external case, and it works like a champ.

The GMA 950 is weak, and I wish it at least had a GMA x3100 (HW T&L).

1 x 3.5" bay

slot-loading DVD burner (possibly a 5.25" bay, if done right)

desktop DDR2 RAM slots

desktop CPU

802.11n

Doesn't have to have a replaceable video card, but an Nvidia 8600 at the minimum, especially since Apple trumpets Boot Camp all the time.

Dual DVI ports - I run dual monitors on my PC, and it's hard to go back to just one.

And most importantly, the RAM and hard drive must be easily replaceable - I've opened up my Mini to replace the RAM, but I didn't enjoy it, and I'm never that nuts about external drives.

Absolutely. A desktop-class hard drive (bigger and cheaper), a desktop-class processor (faster and cheaper), and a discrete 3D graphics chip. It could still be small and sleek- they'd only have to "grow" the mini by about an inch in every dimension to fit all of this.

Apple wouldn't put dual DVI ports on it, but you can connect two displays to one port with a Matrox DualHead2Go now.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Apple wouldn't put dual DVI ports on it, but you can connect two displays to one port with a Matrox DualHead2Go now.

That is correct, but the Matrox site lists these 2 as the max resolutions for the Mac Mini's

Mac Mini\t2048x768

(2x 1024x768)

Mac Mini G4\t2560x1024

(2x 1280x1024)

I would rather have one 20"-24" widescreen monitor than two fullscreen ones at low resolution.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    why do you want two monitors?
  • Reply 71 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

why do you want two monitors?

Photoshop and general multitaksing - I have a friend of mine that does 3d studio max animation, and he has 3 monitors.

Most of the time, I'll have iTunes or a movie going on my 2nd monitor, while typing a paper, or browsing the web. Spaces is nice, but it's not the same, since I do have to flip back and forth between screens.

I'd probably be the very rare exception for people that do buy Mini's, but Apple being what they are, offer limited options. They are a very "take it, or leave it" type of company.

I'm a Windows power user - I already have a laptop, a tower, 2 monitors, routers, printer, etc, and desk space being limited, the iMac was a no go, and the Mac Pro was out of my budget. Hence the Mini - which is a terrible value for the money, but I've grown to like it for its size and OSX (and I do like Vista as well, but Leopard is better).
  • Reply 72 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Nope and that is the whole point Apple simply doesn't have a low cost expandable PC. We are not talking tower class hardware here either. What we want is a machine that is slightly more adaptable than the one we have now. This doesn't mean bloating the machines physical size either though the form factor could change some.

Here is an idea that might get people going:

The Mac Mini replacement:

1. Upgraded processor and video. This is almost a given but for the record.

2. Replace the notebook memory with standard DIMM's. Nothing fancy just to lower costs a bit.

3. Make sure the machine can address at least 8Gb of memory. Yeah that is a lot but we want another 5 years out of the basic design. That is key design consideration, a platform to last awhile.

4. Implement Initial secondary storage as Flash. This soldered right onto the main logic board. But provide space for a user installed SATA drive. This should give us the best of both worlds. People with modest storage needs get speed and low power, those that need more can have all they want. Well all that will fit on a single drive.

5. Install high performance HDMI outputs and the tell us which HDTV's work well with the outputs. By the way yes the goal is a unit better suited for HTPC usage. We don't give up driving standard PC hardware though.

6. Expansion slots, one or more. I've thought about this a lot and frankly I don't want to see the machine bloat to much in size. So I'm thinking the latest PCI Express Mobile sots. By the way there are good reasons t want this, and one of those is the state of flux we are in with respect to wide area RF networking. The format wars are just starting here and I'd like to see flexibility to go WiMax, LTE or whatever pops up in the future. An express card slot might do it too, the problem here is burning up valuable back panel real estate.

7. What ever chip set combo they come up with, the availability of hardware acceleration for video is needed.

8. This might be a good item for the expansion slot request above, but ti wouldn't hurt to have a broadcast TV receiver in the box. The hardware takes almost no space at all and really adds useful capability. Likely an expansion card issue, though it does highlight the need for low cost expansion.

This not a lot really and some of the above are likely to come with the next revision no matter what. The ability to add your own disk or expansion card is critical to positioning the machine to sell well. Not like the current system, we are looking for a machie that can take Apple to a new level in sales.

Dave
  • Reply 73 of 110
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Nice looking plugin.

He doesn't really have any great reasons.

A 2008 Mini with HDMI, Santa Rosa and 802.11-draft n would be pretty good as an aTV replacement even at the higher cost. Especially coupled to an Airport Extreme with a NAS to hold your entire video library.

Damn that'd be awesome.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Damn that'd be awesome.

Just curious, Ecking, is that notice of banning something AI does or do you add it because you like it?

Again, I'm just curious. I'm not attacking you.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Here is an idea that might get people going:

The Mac Mini replacement:

1. Upgraded processor and video. This is almost a given but for the record.

2. Replace the notebook memory with standard DIMM's. Nothing fancy just to lower costs a bit.

3. Make sure the machine can address at least 8Gb of memory. Yeah that is a lot but we want another 5 years out of the basic design. That is key design consideration, a platform to last awhile.

4. Implement Initial secondary storage as Flash. This soldered right onto the main logic board. But provide space for a user installed SATA drive. This should give us the best of both worlds. People with modest storage needs get speed and low power, those that need more can have all they want. Well all that will fit on a single drive.

5. Install high performance HDMI outputs and the tell us which HDTV's work well with the outputs. By the way yes the goal is a unit better suited for HTPC usage. We don't give up driving standard PC hardware though.

6. Expansion slots, one or more. I've thought about this a lot and frankly I don't want to see the machine bloat to much in size. So I'm thinking the latest PCI Express Mobile sots. By the way there are good reasons t want this, and one of those is the state of flux we are in with respect to wide area RF networking. The format wars are just starting here and I'd like to see flexibility to go WiMax, LTE or whatever pops up in the future. An express card slot might do it too, the problem here is burning up valuable back panel real estate.

7. What ever chip set combo they come up with, the availability of hardware acceleration for video is needed.

8. This might be a good item for the expansion slot request above, but ti wouldn't hurt to have a broadcast TV receiver in the box. The hardware takes almost no space at all and really adds useful capability. Likely an expansion card issue, though it does highlight the need for low cost expansion.

Dave

Here are my ideas for a mini update:

1. Silverthorne Pentium M class chip (Huge cost savings)

2. Hardware video decode/encode (DVR)

3. Firewire 3.2 Gb/s (True desktop speed and storage...externally)

4. Full OS installation

5. Built in iPod dock
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparker View Post

Here are my ideas for a mini update:

1. Silverthorne Pentium M class chip (Huge cost savings)

2. Hardware video decode/encode (DVR)

3. Firewire 3.2 Gb/s (True desktop speed and storage...externally)

4. Full OS installation

5. Built in iPod dock

I Celeron would also work! Cost would go up, however
  • Reply 77 of 110
    what do you mean full OS installed? is it not already?
  • Reply 78 of 110
    Do you think a mac mini pro would be able to drive a 30" 2560x1600 lcd?
  • Reply 79 of 110
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Do you think a mac mini pro would be able to drive a 30" 2560x1600 lcd?

Since we are making up a product that doesn't exist (Mac mini Pro), sure it will drive a 30" and also a 42".
  • Reply 80 of 110
    well will the current mini drive a 26" LCD 1366 x 768