Apple to tweak 'Stacks' in Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 Update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

That's a custom dock. I'm pretty sure at least.

That's a shame... The Dock really does look much nicer when it is darker. It also creates a better contrast for those ridiculous little blue indicator lights.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    The custom dock hack can be found here:

http://www.leoparddocks.com
  • Reply 23 of 40
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

I thought I'd use one for my applications folder, but instead I've just been using spotlight.. It really is a killer app launcher.

I'm curious, how many apps do you have that require your regularly searching for them with spotlight? What's wrong with placing the apps in the doc?

I have 35 Apps in my Doc and have no problem seeing them. What's faster than one click?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

I have 35 Apps in my Doc and have no problem seeing them. What's faster than one click?

I have about 35 as well. I only have the ones that I need often on my dock. My old computer had at least 80 - maybe over 100.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

I'm curious, how many apps do you have that require your regularly searching for them with spotlight? What's wrong with placing the apps in the doc?

I have none in the dock, except the 15 or so apps that I have running at any one time.

What's faster? Quikeys, for one.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

The other thing I HATE about stacks is that you can't quicklook a stack item.

So if you want to see a file in your stack the quickest way is to drag to the desktop and hit space, which obviously defeats the whole point of stacks!

Use the Quick Look Droplet

http://www.apple.com/applescript/quickviewer/index.html
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Hope they dont mess them up, I love stacks. I dont keep anything in the left side of my dock except running apps of course. I keep everything in stacks to the right. All my stacks are custom from folders where I put in aliases... works much nicer for having 50 some things i want to get to quick then having some huge ugly dock at the bottom, just 5 or 6 pop ups, see the exact apps i want to see... no extra junk.. no need to go through sub-menus...

The fix they need to do to stacks is have it automatically make them for oyu how i already use them. Have it so you can highlight like 20 apps, drag them down and it makes a stack, not of some stupid folder, but just aliases to those 20 or so you drug down.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Have a look at:

http://www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/hierdock/

I really couldn't hold my tears (of joy) back when I came across this.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

It takes me a few seconds to look through the dock and find an app. Believe it or not, it's actually quicker for me to use Spotlight to launch an app.

Not to mention that I use key commands whenever possible, one click takes longer if you have to move your hands from the keyboard to the mouse.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Hope they dont mess them up, I love stacks. I dont keep anything in the left side of my dock except running apps of course. I keep everything in stacks to the right. All my stacks are custom from folders where I put in aliases... works much nicer for having 50 some things i want to get to quick then having some huge ugly dock at the bottom, just 5 or 6 pop ups, see the exact apps i want to see... no extra junk.. no need to go through sub-menus...

The fix they need to do to stacks is have it automatically make them for oyu how i already use them. Have it so you can highlight like 20 apps, drag them down and it makes a stack, not of some stupid folder, but just aliases to those 20 or so you drug down.

Ooh. This is clever. It's hardly an intuitive 'feature' we can thank Apple for, but... why didn't I think of doing this?

(Still hate stacks though.)
  • Reply 31 of 40
    How are these loaded after download?

Thanks, MLJ

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markaceto View Post

The custom dock hack can be found here:

http://www.leoparddocks.com

• Reply 32 of 40
    Correction. How are the leoparddocks used after downlaod?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Thanks for this information, but specifically, how do I get a new dock and buttons to work in my dock? Where do I store them? Do I then restart? I know it's basic, but that's what I am...basic!

Thanks, Michael

• Reply 35 of 40
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member

A few good points can be found from this article, however I think it's exceptionally biased. A lot of the observations from this and some other articles from this source are blatant opinions shared by the minority with little to no supporting backup. Seems like the intentions are to just flame Leopard.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

A few good points can be found from this article, however I think it's exceptionally biased. A lot of the observations from this and some other articles from this source are blatant opinions shared by the minority with little to no supporting backup. Seems like the intentions are to just flame Leopard.

You haven't read many of John Siracusa's articles, have you? His Mac OS reviews are very technical, and he is neither an Apple fanboi nor a Mac basher. Many of his criticisms are well founded. And he provides the screenshots and videos to back them up. But I guess some people will settle for nothing less than total acceptance by everybody of everything that Apple does.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thejoneses4444 View Post

Thanks for this information, but specifically, how do I get a new dock and buttons to work in my dock? Where do I store them? Do I then restart? I know it's basic, but that's what I am...basic!

Thanks, Michael

To: thejoneses4444

this is what i use for my dock switching, its a lot easier then digging in system files like i did before. SwapMyDock

Its a pretty simple app
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

The Leopard WWDC '07 beta worked exactly as you describe, as seen here by a screenshot I took back then on my PowerBook. Note the iLife '06 stack I had open for demonstration.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...?t=1198300702p
  • Reply 39 of 40
    To: Stewisawesome: Thank you. I appreciate your help.

mlj

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stewisawesome View Post

To: thejoneses4444

this is what i use for my dock switching, its a lot easier then digging in system files like i did before. SwapMyDock

Its a pretty simple app

• Reply 40 of 40
    Call me weird but I like the current Stacks they are a great organizational tool and I have been about to greatly reduce the size of the Dock on my Mac, I have a stack of the applications I use most, another of my music applications I use, and a stack of note files I update all the time. Then the downloads stack is very handy.

I just created folders and put alias for the appropriate app's or files in the folder so I am controlling the stack. I don't like stacks when they display a large folder as a matrix, if I want to see all those files I'd rather use Finder.