Looking for your opinion on N95 Vs iPhone!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I recently joined this forum, it?s my first question and I think you will definitely help me out. Actually due to some reason my old cell was destroyed and right now I have to buy a new mobile. But I am confused which one I have to but Nokia N95 or iphone. My friends are saying that iPhone is best but my uncle compels me to buy N95. Please help me I?m in biggest dilemma.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    iPhone, iPhone, iPhone!!! Ignore your uncle and listen to your friends. The iPhone rules al!

The N95 is the phone that is most often compared to iPhone, but it really is uncomparable. It has a clumsy interface, minimal memry, and a much higher price. Get the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    And the Sony Erikson has the dreaded plastic keys that is the object of Steve's RDF's hatred. Shun it.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    The iPhone has a nice UI but is missing so many features and the hardware stinks. Apart from the touch screen, the phone hardware is 3 years old. Fine if you just want a phone and an iPod but you'd get more from buying an iPod touch and a $50 phone.

The Nokia N95 has a clumsier UI (I wouldn't have called it clumsy though), almost any feature you can think of and much more modern hardware including 3G and a semi-decent camera. The 8GB model has exactly the same amount of storage as the iPhone. In the UK at least you can pick an N95 up free with a contract that is usually better than the iPhone contract. Banner ad on this site at the moment is advertising one for just £24 a month.

The N82 is essentially a 3rd gen N95 with exactly the same features but in a smaller, handier candybar format. Looks like a winner to me if you don't like huge phones like the N95, HTCs or iPhone.

Personally, none of the current phones out there do it for me. I'll wait for the next iPhones or the Sony Ericsson P5i - whichever comes first and isn't priced as ridiculously as the iPhone. The P1i isn't too bad either but I'll pass this generation of Symbian/UIQ personally to see what kind of hornet Apple has stuck under Symbian and UIQ's arse. The P990 was ok hardware saddled with ropey software. Nokia's S60 interface isn't as nice as UIQ and Apple's UI is too simplistic.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Hi, I am having N95 and I think it?s very much better than iPhone because it has everything such as a good camera, GPS, video camera, music player, video player, phone, messaging, video calling, and much more facilities that are very essential for modern time. Touch screen doesn't matter when you have a lot of other things. If you have some doubts then you can check out experiences person?s opinions at http://www.swotti.com/mobilephones/

Hope this will help you out!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I'd walk into a shop and actually try out both.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clayton45 View Post

Hi guys,

I recently joined this forum, it?s my first question and I think you will definitely help me out. Actually due to some reason my old cell was destroyed and right now I have to buy a new mobile. But I am confused which one I have to but Nokia N95 or iphone. My friends are saying that iPhone is best but my uncle compels me to buy N95. Please help me I?m in biggest dilemma.

Do you need (as in can't live without) any of the following:
    • Ability to use a phone's data connection on your mac via bluetooth

• MMS

• video recording

• edit and store Office docs on phone

• send contacts and pics via Bluetooth

• ability to use third party apps (eg Salling Clicker)

If so, get the N95. If not, the iPhone is more fun, has a nicer interface, is quicker to use for many things. It's also an order of magnitude more expensive, but I figure it's worth it.

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 21
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Third party apps will be coming soon for the iPhone btw.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikejohn48 View Post

Hi, I am having N95 and I think it?s very much better than iPhone because it has everything such as a good camera, GPS, video camera, music player, video player, phone, messaging, video calling, and much more facilities that are very essential for modern time. Touch screen doesn't matter when you have a lot of other things. If you have some doubts then you can check out experiences person?s opinions at http://www.swotti.com/mobilephones/

Hope this will help you out!

iPhone has half of those. And a non- horribal interface
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Do you need (as in can't live without) any of the following:
    • Ability to use a phone's data connection on your mac via bluetooth

• MMS

• video recording

• edit and store Office docs on phone

• send contacts and pics via Bluetooth

• ability to use third party apps (eg Salling Clicker)

If so, get the N95. If not, the iPhone is more fun, has a nicer interface, is quicker to use for many things. It's also an order of magnitude more expensive, but I figure it's worth it.

Amorya

Since when is 599 less than 399?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Since when is 599 less than 399?

You're comparing apples to oranges. On a contract the N95 equivalent to the iPhone, the N95 is usually free.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    CNET picked the iPhone over the N95 in a prizefight.

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-3183...tag=cnetfd.vid

(Second listed video, I think)
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

CNET picked the iPhone over the N95 in a prizefight.

http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-3183...tag=cnetfd.vid

(Second listed video, I think)

did you watch the video? Voyager Won.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Sorry, Wrong video.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Holding both for ten seconds would tell you which is the one to own, it's that easy. iPhone all the way!! I say that holding one right now. Hold one in your hand and you'll understand.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

You're comparing apples to oranges. On a contract the N95 equivalent to the iPhone, the N95 is usually free.

Not in the USA. It depends on where Clayton45 is from. If it is the USA, the N95 costs $550 to $800 depending on version. The original N95 that doesn't have USA 3G bands is on the order of $550 to $600, the N95 with USA 3G bands costs about $600 to $700 and the 8GB version costs $700 plus. And I don't think unlocked phones will have better service costs than the iPhone unless they've been grandfathered in.

If he is buying for Europe, than it'll depend on what he values the most in a phone. If it is web surfing, HTML email, and image-audio-video viewing, then iPhone will be a more enjoyable experience. If it is photography, 3G, and GPS, the N95.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

did you watch the video? Voyager Won.

We're talking about 2 different videos. I said iPhone won over the N95 (second video on the list, last I checked), and indeed it did. The Voyager won over the iPhone in the other video, yes. I disagree though, but that's just because I value certain features over others. GPS, 3G are not so important to me.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yes. One shortcoming of the iPhone that is often mentioned is the lack of third party software.

The scant 50,000 or so apps are laughable.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    iPhone is indisputable number one in web browsing domain.

N95's battery life is longer.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Having purchased one of the first mobiles nearly 35 years ago & up dated approx every 18 months I have purchased my last Nokia product as they offer the worst service and back up of any company that I have ever supported. Despite many emails for a simple quote for a repair estimate,all one gets is a constant demand for ones personal data so that they can bombard you with their hype. they have no regard for the time of day and I struggle to find one nice word to say. If you need service beware as my experiance is that here is none and I only purchased the top expensive models at over a thousand dollars. They are aware that my company purchases 12 unites at a ime eery 18 months yet they do not care
  • Reply 20 of 21
    The iPhone has a nice UI but is missing so many features and the hardware stinks. Apart from the touch screen, the phone hardware is 3 years old. Fine if you just want a phone and an iPod but you'd get more from buying an iPod touch and a $50 phone.