Apple Q108 results webcast Jan. 22nd; more on iPhone 1.1.3 leak

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,649member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wazup5416km View Post


    It crashed in the middle of the video.



    I personally think that it is real but I don't think they convinced many people because it crashed just like a hacked one would.



    The software upgrades are very cool though.



    Yeah Apple's iPhone software never crashes
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    They are good thoughts but my gut has been saying this is real since it was first announced.







    Don't get me wrong - the features look really cool. I guess you just have to take things with a grain of salt on the Internet these days.



    I guess we'll know for sure when we know for sure.



    Jon
  • Reply 43 of 52
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Ok, I was right. It's the 2006 keynote. Without looking around for the video, I'll just quote a bit from the Engadget notes taken then. This is far from being complete, but it gives the basic idea. This was given on January 10, earlier than it will be this year. If they could do it then, they could do it now, but that doesn't mean they will. No earnings though, that likely takes more time to pull together, needing calculations on margins, etc.







    They then go on to tell sales numbers for the various product lines for the quarter.



    http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/10/s...macworld-2006/



    A figure for store revenue here, from the 2006 keynote

    :

    http://www.macworld.com/article/4884...vekeynote.html



    Here's the actual audio podcast from the keynote. It's in 8 parts, this is the first, with the info we're talking about:



    http://www.podtech.net/home/274/stev...-ipod-earnings



    You are right, and as I stated in my first commentary, i.e., #13, it depends on what you mean by mini.



    What little Jobs did disclose was well within the law. However, I would think that after the recent SEC issues, he will be sticking quite close to the vest.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,790member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    You are right, and as I stated in my first commentary, i.e., #13, it depends on what you mean by mini.



    What little Jobs did disclose was well within the law. However, I would think that after the recent SEC issues, he will be sticking quite close to the vest.



    I would never suggest that Apple would reveal anything that was not within legal parameters.



    As for why they didn't do it last year, well, he did come tantalizing close, didn't he?



    But, you're likely right, the stock issues could have prevented it.



    But, this year, there is no such problem, and if Apple did very well, he just might announce again.



    I'm not predicting that he will, but just saying that as he did before, he could do so again. I really got the feeling last year that he wanted to, with that "phone call".
  • Reply 45 of 52
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I would never suggest that Apple would reveal anything that was not within legal parameters.



    As for why they didn't do it last year, well, he did come tantalizing close, didn't he?



    But, you're likely right, the stock issues could have prevented it.



    But, this year, there is no such problem, and if Apple did very well, he just might announce again.



    I'm not predicting that he will, but just saying that as he did before, he could do so again. I really got the feeling last year that he wanted to, with that "phone call".



    I don't think that we have any disagreement here.



    However, I would suggest that when it comes to CEO's preempting the Financial Reports, is not something that the SEC, stock brokers/analysts, investors or share holders really appreciate. With the likes of Enron and the like, such actions can raise a air of suspicion, distrust and concern. Issues that in this day of blogitis, only compounds the half-truths and lies that befall even a Mother Teresa (http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)



    In any event, the Macworld conference is not the place to applaud one's past laurels but rather to be indulged with a more promising future, As such, I can wait an extra week or two to get the full results.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,790member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    I don't think that we have any disagreement here.



    However, I would suggest that when it comes to CEO's preempting the Financial Reports, is not something that the SEC, stock brokers/analysts, investors or share holders really appreciate. With the likes of Enron and the like, such actions can raise a air of suspicion, distrust and concern. Issues that in this day of blogitis, only compounds the half-truths and lies that befall even a Mother Teresa (http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)



    In any event, the Macworld conference is not the place to applaud one's past laurels but rather to be indulged with a more promising future, As such, I can wait an extra week or two to get the full results.



    I'm not sure about that comparison.



    But Jobs is speaking to the faithful, who want to know the good news. As he's not saying anything outrageous, just the facts, it isn't a problem, after all, he's not giving details. It's just an unaudited number, which is legal, or he couldn't have done it.



    As a stockholder, I certainly wasn't annoyed that he did it, just the opposite. It was tantalizing.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I'm not sure about that comparison.



    But Jobs is speaking to the faithful, who want to know the good news. As he's not saying anything outrageous, just the facts, it isn't a problem, after all, he's not giving details. It's just an unaudited number, which is legal, or he couldn't have done it.



    As a stockholder, I certainly wasn't annoyed that he did it, just the opposite. It was tantalizing.



    Yikes, I guess I created a mini-stir with my forecast of a "mini report." Yes, most or every year Steve gives a marketing-hype report on how well Apple is doing. It's never all-inclusive or vastly detailed. It might be number of iPhones sold to date, increase in market share, songs and videos sold, etc. Those things are often announced at random points too (such as after the first million iPhones sold or when music sales reached some target).



    What I'm hoping for is an announcement that Apple has figured out what to do with its gobs of cash. "One more thing... on your way out of the Keynote this morning, be sure to pick up a white envelope with $10,000 in cash!" (Or I'd settle for a few shares of stock backdated to 2000...). (I guess after giving away optical mice a few years back I'm still expecting a goodie bag at the keynote!)
  • Reply 48 of 52
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    The ones that made the 1.1.3 software update (and the video) public, especially on their own website, could very well be in a lot of trouble. However, rather than sending a letter to "cease and desist", Apple might wait for MacWorld, then take action.



    Its possible Apple could have leaked this themselves. Since leaks are inevitable. The best way to control your message is to do the leak yourself. Turn the leak into an extension of your marketing.



    An exact picture of Apple's new keybaord was leaked. When Jobs introduced the new iMac he joked that you've already seen the keyboard on the internet. An exact picture of the new nano was leaked and Apple did nothing about it. Even though last year we had rumors that the iPhone would be announced at MW07 we had no picture of it. Now we have a picture of the sub-notebook which will likely prove to be real. Apple has not legally gone after anyone about these leaks.



  • Reply 49 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If that is the rumored sub-compact from Apple then I will be surely be getting one right away.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    That's a good point, TenoBell. Maybe Apple won't do anything. Even so, if I knew proprietary information about Apple's upcoming products I wouldn't try to upstage Steve by releasing a video on it, just weeks before MacWorld.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post


    That's a good point, TenoBell. Maybe Apple won't do anything. Even so, if I knew proprietary information about Apple's upcoming products I wouldn't try to upstage Steve by releasing a video on it, just weeks before MacWorld.



    Then are more principled than me. I'd flood the internets faster than you could say nondisclosure agreement.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    kephistokephisto Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Then are more principled than me. I'd flood the internets faster than you could say nondisclosure agreement.



    Duly noted, solipsism, hehe. Duly noted.
Sign In or Register to comment.