Apple developing dynamic OLED-based keyboard

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    I really think they could just do this with a multitouch keyboard.



    The developers could create keys and control interfaces that match apps and change at a whim.



    Give it a rest with your multi-touch babble will you. This is obviously Apple's answer. I approve.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Power is needed, but not too much.



    It's entirely possible that Apple could choose an e-ink substrate for the keys.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferry13 View Post


    Wouldn't e-paper (or e-ink) be a better solution than oleds? It needs almost no power... Just wondering. Maybe electronic ink isn't suitable when touched all the time... don't know.



    Heh, your comment came before mine, but we're thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think it's obvious smoke screen to throw off the rumor mill before MWSF. All these recent patets I've seen before, and elsewhere.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    An avid typer (it pays the bills), I will admit that a tactile keyboard has its place in life, but I stand by my belief that a multitouch keyboard could really be interesting.



    If this is their main board for all machines, fantastic and yes, I approve as well - as long as they don't get sued AGAIN for being stupid. Combine it with a mutlitouch plate and you have magic. I still hope that a ultra portable comes out with a MT keyboard.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I invented this. I was talking about it a year and a half ago.



    Everybody said I was crazy. Who's crazy now?
  • Reply 27 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Well i invented the coochie. And we all know how much better that is.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    A keyboard like this would be awesome if it cost less than 300 bucks.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Seems to me that it makes most sense if it is built into a Lap Top. One configuration for every market and for the life-time of the product.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post


    Seems to me that it makes most sense if it is built into a Lap Top. One configuration for every market and for the life-time of the product.



    As tablets are going to replace notebooks, I think it would be way better for the desktop keyboard



    Go on you guys laugh, you'll see what happens in 5 years time. Tablets will be "everywhere"!!
  • Reply 31 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The e-ink ideas people have mentioned sounds like a great idea.



    Would prior art matter in the US if the Optimus keyboard is Russian?
  • Reply 32 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The e-ink ideas people have mentioned sounds like a great idea.



    Would prior art matter in the US if the Optimus keyboard is Russian?



    just using OLEDs on keys would not be enough to invalidate Apple's patent. It's HOW its done that matters.



    And Lebedev isn't using these on all the keys as first stated, just a few, because of cost, I would imagine. I would think that Apple's engineers know a bit more than he does.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    It's entirely possible that Apple could choose an e-ink substrate for the keys.



    But then there would be no color, just very dark grey on very light grey.



    There would also be no light emitted. E-ink works by reflected light.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I invented this. I was talking about it a year and a half ago.



    Everybody said I was crazy. Who's crazy now?



    Ireland, you're still crazy.



    Lebedev first came up with this almost three years ago.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I invented this. I was talking about it a year and a half ago.



    Everybody said I was crazy. Who's crazy now?



    I invented iTunes.. your point?
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    But then there would be no color, just very dark grey on very light grey.



    There would also be no light emitted. E-ink works by reflected light.



    Not really true... color e-paper already exists. And btw... my current keyboard has grey symbols too... don't see a problem!



    Emitted light is another issue... I don't need it; I never use my iBook in bed!
  • Reply 37 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferry13 View Post


    Not really true... color e-paper already exists. And btw... my current keyboard has grey symbols too... don't see a problem!



    Emitted light is another issue... I don't need it; I never use my iBook in bed!



    Right now, there are no non industrial products using the experimental two and three color "paper", and only one or two of those. Perhaps in a couple of years, or maybe not. It will also be fairly expensive in color.



    These have less contrast than a keyboard. When your hand moves over the Kindle screen, you can't read what's underneath. A shadow from you would be enough to wipe out the pictures.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Right now, there are no non industrial products using the experimental two and three color "paper", and only one or two of those. Perhaps in a couple of years, or maybe not. It will also be fairly expensive in color.



    These have less contrast than a keyboard. When your hand moves over the Kindle screen, you can't read what's underneath. A shadow from you would be enough to wipe out the pictures.



    Are we talking e-ink or e-paper here?



    edit: http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/l...isplay-for-ces
  • Reply 39 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Are we talking e-ink or e-paper here?



    They're the same thing from a users viewpoint (oh, a pun!\).



    E-Ink Corp. sells e-paper displays for example. I think the name for the product, E-Ink, is trademarked, or copyrighted. I'd have to look it up.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    And Lebedev isn't using these on all the keys as first stated, just a few, because of cost, I would imagine. I would think that Apple's engineers know a bit more than he does.



    No, he is...he's selling four variants of the keyboard, ranging in price from about $450 to over $1500: one with just an OLED space bar; one with the ten function keys on the left side, one with the alpha keys, and one with all the keys.
Sign In or Register to comment.