Netflix and LG to make a run at Apple TV and iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Downloads will catch on because they are inevitable. It is what people are going to want. Sooner or later, one provider is going to get critical mass and an imperfect system is going to be adjusted and adjusted to and it will work fine for people. In hindsight, it will look like a smooth road despite the fact that it is a mess right now.

Yeah, they just need to make the movie + storage cheaper than the DVD that comes through the mail right now. Also drop the price of my DSL while increasing the speed.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Netflix is headquartered in Los Gatos.

Locals call the town 'LG'.

Netflix partners with LG Electronics.

Coincidence?

Probably.

• Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

. And if your device breaks, you have to rebuy all of your media. And if image resolution on the devices and the media doubles, there's no way to upgrade your media without simply rebuying everything at full cost.

I actually think we'll move more to licenses for our content... so if your device breaks, your licenses will let you redownload. However, we will likely be stuck with one provider as you say, atleast for now.

Oh... and with audio tapes, records, CDs.... vhs, beta, vcd, laserdisk, dvd... there's never been a way to upgrade your media without simply rebuying everything at full cost. I wish online files would change this, but I doubt it will.

(I'd like to pop my CD into iTunes, and have it offer a $1 upgrade to the video clips of my music
  • Reply 24 of 38
    The download business is such a mess I'm staying out as is everyone I know. Come to the table with something good and I will look at it but at the moment its all crap
  • Reply 25 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I would like to see apple buy up some of the studios, though i havent done much research.

Anyone know which studios are compatible for a buyout??

Hopefully none. Bad idea.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I agree that they probably won't buy those companies, but how do you know what Apples business model may include or exclude for future products? A lot of people said a cell phone didn't fit into their business model at one point too.

Steve

It seems to be pretty certain that Apple is looking to digital downloads only over the long term.

Netflix sees that, and is now attempting to do the same.

But remember Apple's problems with all of the content owners that they are having.

Netflix has no such problems because it agrees to price, sell, and rent, with the consent of the studios, which Apple sees as anathema.

Apple would own all of the deals Netflix has made. Those very same deals it is refusing to do. What would be the purpose in buying a company like that?

TiVo, which is moving out of the hardware business, though they deny that (their actions recently prove otherwise), also has deals with companies that Apple wouldn't do. Apple has Fairplay, and doesn't want to share, except, possibly, on their own strict terms. TiVo is making deals with the cable and satellite companies, something Apple has shown a strong aversion to.

Without going into detail of these deals, I don't know what else to say.

Apple doesn't need either of these companies. They can do it alone. They don't want the debt that would come with these deals either.

One thing Apple has that is a very big advantage, that almost no other company in their place has, is complete financial independence. No long term debt, no medium term debt, and no short term debt, other than the usual rent and leasing deals. I don't think they would want to give that up for this either.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

my worry (as aapl shareholder) is that apple are vulnerable to manipulation by the studios. after-all 'content is king' as sony and others discovered late 80's , hardware however good, is useless without content.

And that for me is my single concern with apples strategy.

The studios are concerned that Apple is manipulating THEM. That's why Apple is having a problem.

It just seems to me, from all of my years in business, that you can always bring prices dowm, if sales prove to be low. Look at what Apple did with the iPhone pricing. That was drastic, but shows that price is not fixed in stone.

Apple should meet the studios halfway. If it proves to be non-viable, it could change later. The studios are not stupid, despite what some may think. If their product doesn't sell, they will understand that.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

The download business is such a mess I'm staying out as is everyone I know. Come to the table with something good and I will look at it but at the moment its all crap

True, but the problem is that, with the HD format wars, the future of traditional disc rental isn't so great either.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I actually think we'll move more to licenses for our content... so if your device breaks, your licenses will let you redownload. However, we will likely be stuck with one provider as you say, atleast for now.

Oh... and with audio tapes, records, CDs.... vhs, beta, vcd, laserdisk, dvd... there's never been a way to upgrade your media without simply rebuying everything at full cost. I wish online files would change this, but I doubt it will.

(I'd like to pop my CD into iTunes, and have it offer a $1 upgrade to the video clips of my music

I think if studios allowed a user to "upgrade their license" for a film from one digital version to the next, more people would be willing to double-dip on the same film. You might get several-thousand dedicated fans of a film who will rebuy it at full price everytime a higher-resolution version comes out, but if they allowed you to upgrade for a reasonable price (say, $5), they'd sell several-million upgrades.

With the move from DVD to HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray, I have a select few favorite titles I'm willing to repurchase in high-definition. However, if those files were digital and I could upgrade (replace) my 80 standard-definition films with high definition versions for $400 ($5 a piece), I'd totally do it.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

I think if studios allowed a user to "upgrade their license" for a film from one digital version to the next, more people would be willing to double-dip on the same film. You might get several-thousand dedicated fans of a film who will rebuy it at full price everytime a higher-resolution version comes out, but if they allowed you to upgrade for a reasonable price (say, $5), they'd sell several-million upgrades.

With the move from DVD to HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray, I have a select few favorite titles I'm willing to repurchase in high-definition. However, if those files were digital and I could upgrade (replace) my 80 standard-definition films with high definition versions for $400 ($5 a piece), I'd totally do it.

It's a good idea, which means that it's not likely to occur.

It might be complex to implement.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Studios will take the long-term sometimes on things like this, though. Remember the old Disney re-release rule of 7 years. If you don't immediately re-up your collection, they figure to get you within that 7 year period in one way or another. VHS to DVD to whatever (download or high def discs) and beyond. They have the time, and it's cheaper than making new movies, so it's easier money that way. They can definitely wait on the old stuff if their new sales move forward. If you start buying new films you like in higher definition, that just spurs you to double dip... in time.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

The good thing is that the HD-DVD and Blu-ray players will play the old DVD's so there is no need to re-purchase anything.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

The good thing is that the HD-DVD and Blu-ray players will play the old DVD's so there is no need to re-purchase anything.

That's the part people seem to be forgetting. this is not like the changeover from Lp's to Cd, ot the change from tape to DVD.

If one buys a hi def format, the old content is still good, and one can just add to it.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Of course,we shouldn't use not only Cds.I can agree with last post because the old is a history,a history about which we must remember,think.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gokinos View Post

Of course,we shouldn't use not only Cds.I can agree with last post because the old is a history,a history about which we must remember,think.

Yes. It's a continuing story. One doesn't end the other. It's more like chapters in a book. The story isn't over.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Chapters in a book that are two years apart.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I have to say the last month, I have been hooked on NetFlix. It would be great if the deal was made. I would also really love an iPhone app for streaming media from NetFlix.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShredderClay View Post

I have to say the last month, I have been hooked on NetFlix. It would be great if the deal was made. I would also really love an iPhone app for streaming media from NetFlix.

There are rumors that one will be forthcoming. I don't know how correct they are.