"G5" == new case?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote] I believe I speak for everyone here when I say we don't want you to go and **** it all up with an Aztec burlap pattern or Misty Lilac. So don't even THINK about it, okay? Glossy white or go pound sand.<hr></blockquote>

hahahahaha
  • Reply 82 of 104
    [quote]Want a G5 logo on the side? Make that f*cker glow<hr></blockquote>

I definitely agree. The single best part about the TiBook case is that the apple logo glows. Now, granted that's lit by the display, but it would be easy to make the logos on the side of a tower case glow.

[quote]That tower above, without the handles...is it just me or does it pretty much look like the CURRENT G4?!?<hr></blockquote>

my thoughts exactly. It's basically the QS case w/out any of the clear plastic.

The iBook and iPod have definitely moved in the same direction, but I would be disappointed if the pm goes the same way. Not since the original bondi iMac and the B&W G3 have the 2 lines resembled one another at all (okay, the first G4 cases had some ties to the graphite iMacs, but whatever) I think for G5 things need to go in a totally new direction. The sphere obviously wouldn't really work, but it's the right idea: something completely different. iMac and B&W G3 were cases that no one had ever even thought of imagining. Apple needs to do it again. And though I think it will be a while yet before we see a G5, I'll be looking for new iMacs at MWSF, but if Apple has there act together at all, they will take us completely by surprise. I've seen a couple LCD all in ones. After imac, the rest of the electronics world deprately tried to imitate it (have you seen those little "Half Pint" microwaves?). Apple has to be the trend setter. If they go where anyone else has gone before, it will be a disappointment and a detriment to them.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    [quote]I definitely agree. The single best part about the TiBook case is that the apple logo glows. Now, granted that's lit by the display, but it would be easy to make the logos on the side of a tower case glow.<hr></blockquote>

Please, no. Because all we'll hear forEVER is "Apple can't put in (more PCI slots, analog audio in, quad G5s, whatever, etc.), but they can put a cute light on the side."

People will NEVER shut up about it.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
  • Reply 84 of 104
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by scottiB:

<strong>

Please, no. Because all we'll hear forEVER is "Apple can't put in (more PCI slots, analog audio in, quad G5s, whatever, etc.), but they can put a cute light on the side."

People will NEVER shut up about it.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

and you care what people say why..?
  • Reply 85 of 104
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    The G5 won't be ready until summer '02. By then, a new case design should be ready for it.

- Mark
  • Reply 86 of 104
    I don't understand why people here think the G5 case is going to take so long to bring to market. The Quicksilver case was a no-brainer. It still has the basic structure of the El Capitan from January 1999! Every case update since then has been a simple tweak. (I'm talking case, not motherboard) The jump from G3 to G4 was simply new handles and plastic panels. Same with the Quickslivers except the drive bay doors and front panels were changed, along with minor adjustment to the handle design. What does everyone think Apple has been doing all this time? People, these new cases that Apple has been throwing at us are pretty basic, and it should be pretty obvious that Apple is working on something much bigger. The G4 and QS case did not require a whole lotta extra effort to develop.

Apple has had PLENTY of time to develop the new case for both the G5 and the new iMac, and I think they will finally see the light of day at MWSF.
  • Reply 87 of 104
    [quote]I don't understand why people here think the G5 case is going to take so long to bring to market.<hr></blockquote>

I don't think anybody said that. Of course the case won't take long, but the case is pretty useless if there isn't anything in it. We aren't going to see G5 for a while, but it's got nothing to do with the case. We're just speculating on what it might be and what we'd like to see
  • Reply 88 of 104
    [quote]Originally posted by SledgeHammer:

<strong>

I don't think anybody said that. Of course the case won't take long, but the case is pretty useless if there isn't anything in it. We aren't going to see G5 for a while, but it's got nothing to do with the case. We're just speculating on what it might be and what we'd like to see</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that's your opinion anyways. I seem to think a lot of people do think we will see the G5 in Jan or very soon after.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes, and they would be wrong.

• Reply 90 of 104
    That's your opinion as well. My opinion is that you are wrong.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    applenut, I was being facetious.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Either way, Apple isn't as methodical as some people think. they often change their minds and do things different. At one point they might have colorful consumer machines and drab pro workstations and sometimes their pro worksations outshine their consumer machines. The next case will either be the Quicksilver or some iPod/iBook looking case. i can't fathom at the details but it WILL be clean, probably compact, and definitely stylish.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>That's your opinion as well. My opinion is that you are wrong. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Care to make it interesting? Say, five bucks?

My official stance: no G5 Power Mac at the January 2002 Macworld Expo in San Francisco (gotta cover all my bases and eliminate all wiggle room...I see those car commercials on TV with all the clarifying legal small print...)

I'll even go you one farther and say this: the new iMac won't be a G4 either. It'll be a nice G3 in the 800-900MHz range.

Regarding the Power Macs, I do, however, think they will be bumped up, with the top model finally breaking the GHz barrier and the new low-end will be the 867MHz.

And who knows: maybe they'll ALL go dual-processor?

There's just no way in hell that Apple is going to leap up 200% (from an 867MHz G4 to a 1.6GHz G5) in one fell swoop.

It'll be a GREAT MWSF, but it's going to be a reasonable, realistic one.

I'll be shocked if the G5 makes it BEFORE July's MWNY.

And me and my goo friend Abe Lincoln are very confident in that.

• Reply 94 of 104
    al02al02 Posts: 11member

?
  • Reply 95 of 104
    I think the G5 heatsink would be bigger than that. I'm not too keen on the whole sideways CD either unless it's a slot loader.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Care to make it interesting? Say, five bucks?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mmm, five bucks? I don't know if I'm willin to wager money on the G5's pending release. I just don't like reading "it will not happen" kinda dampens my mood

How 'bout 5 virtual bucks? Or better yet, I'll raise your 5 virtual dollars to 10!!

As for the above rendering, I kinda like that. The cd is like the PS2, I can deal with that. Where's that from anyway?
  • Reply 97 of 104
    [quote]Originally posted by Al02:

<strong>

?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You know what, everyone's been talking about bringing the cube back as a mid-tower. This could be for a mini tower and therefore not needing a huge heatsink. Interesting...
  • Reply 98 of 104
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Everybody seems to be fooling around with pretty little towers about the size of a dictionary, orbs that take up half of your desk, etc etc.

When we're doing PRO stuff, function comes before form! Always always! This is a mistake Apple is making. Make sure expandibility is ample, heat issues are null, and we have as many drive bays as we'll ever need.

And don't stop at two drive bays...I want 4 at least. It's a pro machine for god's sake!
  • Reply 99 of 104
    Some of the sketches floating around remind me of Homer Simpson... remember the episode where he designs a car for his half-brother's car company because he knew what the common man wanted? Who says the Simpsons don't teach us anything?
  • Reply 100 of 104
    You guys...that picture's not a G5 mini-tower -- it's a side/back view of the new iMac!

Alex