Universal seen clear of obligations to HD DVD, may switch to Blu-ray

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Gee, what a shock, Universal may go Blu-Ray.

The shock would be if they didn't.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    hd dvd sucked.. hehe now its dead

i have over 65 bluray's and no drm bullshit issues

plus my ps3 get profile updates
  • Reply 23 of 79
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gee, what a shock, Universal may go Blu-Ray.

The shock would be if they didn't.

I'm still waiting for the Toshiba response (delivered in the voice of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail).

At this point HD DVD is still trying to block Arthur with both arms and one leg missing.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    I actually hope Universal does stay with HD-DVD. That way they'll continue to lose money in mfg and distribution of a product no one is buying.

Scroo Universal!!

/
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Blu-ray just sounds cooler than the alternative's clunky alphabet soup.

Also, Microsoft is pushing hard for HD-DVD.

Two good reasons to prefer one standard over the other, don't you think?

Another is region coding that you all seem to just love with blu-ray.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Another is region coding that you all seem to just love with blu-ray.

Considering how much region coding honestly affected my viewing experience with DVDs you'll have to forgive me if I'm not worried all that much.

I did notice that one of the sites I'd looked at showed the region map and it looked *less* segregated than the one for DVD.

edit: I checked again and there are 3 BR regions to 6 DVD regions.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    5:00 pm ET January 10, 2008 -- Universal Studios has officially dispelled the rumors from Variety that it will drop HD DVD and switch to Blu-ray.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

The response would have come sooner, but many HD DVD executives were on flights home from CES when the incorrect story from Variety broke.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/microsof...vd-format/5104

According to gaming site kotaku.com Microsoft has made it clear that they remain dedicated to the HD DVD format. "There was a critical element of our comments missing from the story -- Microsoft currently has no plans at this time to consider Blu-ray as an option. We continue to believe that HD DVD is the best optical solution for consumers, since it's the only format today that delivers quality experiences at affordable prices." a MS spokesperson clarified.

A bit more fuel to the fire
  • Reply 28 of 79
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

5:00 pm ET January 10, 2008 -- Universal Studios has officially dispelled the rumors from Variety that it will drop HD DVD and switch to Blu-ray.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format," said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home Entertainment and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group.

The response would have come sooner, but many HD DVD executives were on flights home from CES when the incorrect story from Variety broke.

According to gaming site kotaku.com Microsoft has made it clear that they remain dedicated to the HD DVD format. "There was a critical element of our comments missing from the story -- Microsoft currently has no plans at this time to consider Blu-ray as an option. We continue to believe that HD DVD is the best optical solution for consumers, since it's the only format today that delivers quality experiences at affordable prices." a MS spokesperson clarified.

The best they can muster are more "current" - "currently" statements? If you haven't seen this picture of the HD DVD booth (snapped by engadget), that says more to me than the combined marketing and spokesperson quotes from the "current" HD DVD companies.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

A bit more fuel to the fire

Sure, they're committed to HD DVD (until the clear product and ramp up Blu Ray). There is nothing dishonest there. As for MS, they're so dedicated that they're positioned to drop it in an instant without feeling an ounce of pain since they only support it as an add-on peripheral. Can they create a BR add-on if it's clear that the market demands it? I think the answer would be yes.

I love the use of current.

Currently, I'm at work. (I'll leave at 5:00 but thats not what I'm currently doing).
  • Reply 30 of 79
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I always stated that if something didn't happen immediately after the 07 holidays, that the war would continue for a long time. Guess half of it was right.

I'm glad this is going quickly. I think Toshiba should still keep the technology around but for Optical Media back ups. I really think they hurt by not releasing hd-dvd burners. There are a lot of hd-dvd / blu-ray hybrid drives out there. I would love to have 31gb backups for $1.00 each. Otherwise it would be a lot of wasted $.

Why not 50GB backups for a $1 each with a roadmap to take it higher. Last I heard it was 200GB but what's blu-ray up to at the moment?

Actually I've had enough of discs - bring on the chips.

McD
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Can they create a BR add-on if it's clear that the market demands it? I think the answer would be yes.

MS would create an add-on Pez dispenser that contained chunks of recycled particle board if they thought it would drive console sales and licensee products. So, um... yeah. Blu-Ray in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Whats this odd... oh.. its WRITING on the wall..
  • Reply 33 of 79
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Sure, they're committed to HD DVD (until the clear product and ramp up Blu Ray). There is nothing dishonest there. As for MS, they're so dedicated that they're positioned to drop it in an instant without feeling an ounce of pain since they only support it as an add-on peripheral. Can they create a BR add-on if it's clear that the market demands it? I think the answer would be yes.

I love the use of current.

Currently, I'm at work. (I'll leave at 5:00 but thats not what I'm currently doing).

Let's hope they are being that coy. Otherwise, they may be planning to go scorched earth with this thing. Perhaps Toshiba, M$ and Universal just wish to let this become a war of attrition, so that no clear winner emerges. In other words, "us losing is better than our opponent winning." I mean, they've already ignored two solid years of sales data. They've already pulled all the stops, dropping players to as low as $99, paying off Paramount to pick their losing format, etc. One has to wonder.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Let's hope they are being that coy. Otherwise, they may be planning to go scorched earth with this thing...

MS may have enough money and 'tude to go "scorched earth", but most companies have shareholders who want the company to make money, not wage wars of spite. The studios have the following choices:

1. continue the silly war

2. end the war and start making money

If they choose #1 in the face of what's happened, they end up selling content to an ever diminishing audience while Blu Ray expands further with its greater studio backing. People who thrive on conflict and "forum cockfighting" rejoice!

If they choose #2, the waters are cleared, people can all safely purchase a single format player and buy HD movies with no worries at all about compatibility (leaving aside the inevitable "but it's not 1.1 or 2.0 compliant" stuff for a moment. Toshiba's feelings may be hurt but did Sony just give up when things didn't go their way? Have they shut their doors and just said "screw it"? these companies are in this to make money.

I know this is already apparent and #2 is more likely, especially if the rumored sales #'s are anywhere near accurate. There's also rumors (unsubstantiated of course) that people have been trying to return HD DVD players purchased over the holidays.

At any rate, the next few months should be interesting. I'm still curious about the rumored "olive branch" suggested last week.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    My understanding has been that MS is so pro HD DVD because Blu-Ray uses Java. Universal is NBC is MSNBC is MS is HD DVD. It will be interesting to see how Universal plays this and what their alliance with MS will turn into if/when they switch.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I just want The Matrix on blu-ray...please.

The Matrix trilogy on BD is in the works.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Woo I'm glad Sony are going to win, they obviously have the better format for future expanasion since it has so much more storage space then HD-DVD. Plus Beta-Max lost out to VHS (which was shit) so its just fair Sony wins this one

The format wars.

1. VHS vs. Beta-Max

2. DVD vs. Laser DIsc

3. HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray

If I'm not mistaken, I believe laser disc was also a Sony format.. Yeah, they deserve a win!
  • Reply 38 of 79

• Reply 39 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Blu-ray just sounds cooler than the alternative's clunky alphabet soup.

Also, Microsoft is pushing hard for HD-DVD.

Two good reasons to prefer one standard over the other, don't you think?

They are pretty superfluous reasons, in my opinion, but understandable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was under the impression that the "Firefly" was under the 20th Century FOX umbrella and "Serenity" was under the Universal umbrella.

I'd like to see both, though I hear that the CG was upscaled for HD cable, the film shots looked great. I'd really like to see it all as native HD.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    listen to all the happy optimism as if Sony is going to play nice once they have the 'monopoly.' Remember that in saying you are glad Microsoft has lost this battle, you are somehow happy the just-as-bad Sony has won. Also, don't forget, Sony is still 'improving' the BD specs. That means, now that they have the go-ahead, they can implement all kinds of format-breaking DRM, restrictions, and hoops that they want, and to hell with the customer.

Good luck with that.