Last days to save hundreds on Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Hmm... the title of the thread I thought they were shutting piratebay.org down!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    vicgvicg Posts: 3member
    Hey fella's. Perhaps this may be goofy to ask , but if through this deal one purchases the Student and Teacher edition, which is not for commercial use, and then gets the Mac Special Media Edition for the super deal of shipping only, will the install of the Mac Special Media Edition acknowledge the student s/n and not be commercially viable, or will it be an entirely new/independent s/n allowing for "commercial" use? Currently I have Office for Mac 2000 (Home Office). I checked for upgrades on Amazon.ca and they only list as available full versions of Office 2004 Student and Teacher as well as 2004 Standard editions.

What I also find interesting is that Microsoft Office 2004 Professional Full and/or Upgrade (Mac) does not appear to qualify for this deal, or am I missing something? (The reason I mentioned this is that I am taking a course that requires Microsoft Office 2004 Professional (Mac) for some reason. I'll check if there is a workaround for this in the course.) Thanks for the feedback on this nutty question.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Is this a US only deal?

Edit: was too lazy to check. Found the answer - it seems is applicable in the UK too.

Amazon UK

BUT - the UK offer is open till March 31st.

Segovius,

I had a look at the Amazon offer and it seems like it's not worth it. You only get the same version of office as you originally bought, unlike the US deal where you can just buy the Student and Teacher deal and then get the full suite in return. Amazon are selling the pre order Student and home edition for £ 89.99 ( £10 less than Apple ) If you buy the 2004 now, Amazon are selling it for £ 83.48 plus then the £ 15.90 for the 2008 version, seems like a bum deal, or have i completely misunderstood it?

It seems that yet again in the UK we get the raw deal!

Would be great if you could comfirm this or tell me what the truth is!

Many Thanx
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

I took advantage of this deal on Black Friday and I got my $100 refund check already! Net cost for a full version of office 2008 was $37. Not bad, and no they don't care if you buy the student-teacher addition, which are full version of the programs!

Great Deal!

Same here. Just got my BF $100 check in the mail a couple days ago. Sweet deal.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    I'm not going to insult the intelligence of someone who insist on having this, but free, effective and Microsoft compatible alternatives exist. One should do their research, test and evaluate these alternatives before forking over hundreds of dollars to Microsoft.

Some of you here like the gentlemen above me were able to take advantage of limited time offers but many will simply fork over $300.00 or more just to type up documents and create spread sheets. Some of us here are simply in much higher income brackets than others and a few hundred dollars is no big deal but for the rest, you shouldn't feel any obligation or pressure to get Microsoft's Office suite.

Personally I prefer NeoOffice which not too long ago experienced a significant overhaul and update to NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 6. Some of you here are already familiar with it but for those of you who are not, it is based on OpenOffice but much better and better integrated to the Mac environment and offers far more features than OpenOffice. There is a small learning curve but many features and it's functionality will be familiar to anyone who works frequently in an Office Suite program.

Anyway, it's worth a look if you are not already familiar with it.

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.p...ure_Comparison
  • Reply 26 of 37
    NeoOffice is a viable alternative, but those who are willing to pay a small price for a nice office suite, there's Apple's iWork '08. Also, if you just need a good word processor, Nisus Writer Pro is a nice, simple, and affordable word processor.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Can you show me in print, by the actions of Microsoft, someone could be breaking the law and could possibly go to jail ?

The following statement is attached to the product. No, I don't think MS will storm down your door or get you arrested. Depends on how honest you are I suppose...

To license Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher Edition, you must be a Qualified Educational User or the parent or guardian of a Qualified Educational User who is a minor. Qualified Educational Users include full- or part-time students, home schooled students, and full- or part-time faculty or staff of an accredited educational institution.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    In case this happens to you:i bought Office 2004 and mailed in required proof of purchase that included the original cover of the user manual. i made this purchase in order to get Office 2008 for $7.00. Today i rec'd letter from Microsoft stating that i will not receive rebate since i failed to submit the cover of user manual. i see in the MacOXhints forum that this has happened to other people. i called the rebate center and they explained that some of the user manuals enclosed with the software do not have necessary printed info on them and were rejected. they accepted my product key over the phone and i will receive the $100 rebate.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    The new Home and Student version is only limited to non-commercial use in a household; it does not stipulate that you are a student, parent of a student, or teacher.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

The following statement is attached to the product. No, I don't think MS will storm down your door or get you arrested. Depends on how honest you are I suppose...

To license Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher Edition, you must be a Qualified Educational User or the parent or guardian of a Qualified Educational User who is a minor. Qualified Educational Users include full- or part-time students, home schooled students, and full- or part-time faculty or staff of an accredited educational institution.

• Reply 30 of 37
    I chose Option Two for the Super Suite Deal - Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac.

I received my copy of Office 2008 yesterday, but it was the only item in the box. No copy of Expression Media for Mac. Not even a packing slip.

Has anyone else received 2008 yet and also didn't receive Expression Media?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MicheleM View Post

I chose Option Two for the Super Suite Deal - Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac.

I received my copy of Office 2008 yesterday, but it was the only item in the box. No copy of Expression Media for Mac. Not even a packing slip.

Has anyone else received 2008 yet and also didn't receive Expression Media?

Have you checked to see if it is on the Install DVD and not on a separate DVD?

My understanding was that the Home Edition didn't come with the special media, but when I looked back to check, you are definitely right and it should be included. I'm supposed to get my copy shortly, but I can't use it until I buy a new computer, so if you find out anything be sure and post back here.

Quote:

OPTION TWO: Send me Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition

(includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange

Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac

• Reply 32 of 37
    Thank you for your e-mail.

We apologize for the error. We have placed a new order for you under number XXXX which will include Expression Media.

So that you can return the original, incomplete product, I have created a Return Material Authorization for you under RMA number XXXX. Please include this number, as well as your order number on a piece of paper inside your return package. Please also include the RMA number on the outside of your return box.

A pre-paid mailer will be sent to your home within 3-5 business days. Please place the enclosed label on the outside of the return box and follow the instructions included. Make note of any way bill numbers you may receive for tracking purposes. Once we receive the product at the warehouse, a credit request will be issued. It takes approximately 3-5 business days to process this credit request. This credit information will then be transferred to your credit card's financial institution. They have up to 30 days to apply this credit to your account.

Sounds like a lot of work, but at least I'll have the right software. I wonder if they'll be cranky that I already installed it?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

We apologize for the error. We have placed a new order for you under number XXXX which will include Expression Media.

So that you can return the original, incomplete product, I have created a Return Material Authorization for you under RMA number XXXX. Please include this number, as well as your order number on a piece of paper inside your return package. Please also include the RMA number on the outside of your return box.

A pre-paid mailer will be sent to your home within 3-5 business days. Please place the enclosed label on the outside of the return box and follow the instructions included. Make note of any way bill numbers you may receive for tracking purposes. Once we receive the product at the warehouse, a credit request will be issued. It takes approximately 3-5 business days to process this credit request. This credit information will then be transferred to your credit card's financial institution. They have up to 30 days to apply this credit to your account.

Sounds like a lot of work, but at least I'll have the right software. I wonder if they'll be cranky that I already installed it?

I just received mine today and I have not opened it. From reading the label and box, there does not seem to be any Expression Media included.

What email address did you use to contact Microsoft about this issue?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    I found this email on the redemption form and they replied the next business day:

[email protected]

I received an email from Microsoft today that my new order had now shipped. Unfortunately, the description is exactly the same as the confirmation for the first shipment. I hope they got it right this time.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

I found this email on the redemption form and they replied the next business day:

[email protected]

I received an email from Microsoft today that my new order had now shipped. Unfortunately, the description is exactly the same as the confirmation for the first shipment. I hope they got it right this time.

Thanks for looking up the info. I'll get on it tomorrow and see what I can find out. I never did open mine, but the outside box descriptions give the indication there is nothing in the box other than Office Mac 2008.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    I think Microsoft must have made a lot of these errors because they seem to have a form letter ready to go. Mine looks identical to MichelleM's email:

Quote:

Hello Royboy,

We apologize for the error. We have placed a new order for you under number 15xxxxxxx44 which will include Expression Media.

So that you can return the original, incomplete product, I have created a Return Material Authorization for you under RMA number MAxxxxxx3. Please include this number, as well as your order number on a piece of paper inside your return package. Please also include the RMA number on the outside of your return box.

A pre-paid mailer will be sent to your home within 3-5 business days. Please place the enclosed label on the outside of the return box and follow the instructions included. Make note of any way bill numbers you may receive for tracking purposes. Once we receive the product at the warehouse, a credit request will be issued. It takes approximately 3-5 business days to process this credit request. This credit information will then be transferred to your credit card's financial institution. They have up to 30 days to apply this credit to your account