Apple premieres iTunes Movie Rentals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    It says on the Apple Website under Apple TV Tech Specs:

iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

It says on the Apple Website under Apple TV Tech Specs:

iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p

Right, for Apple TV.

But I think the original AppleInsider article is wrong. I don't think you can get HD in iTunes--only on Apple TV. (That is, you can only get SD on your computer/iTunes, but you can get 720p HD on your AppleTV. That's one reason they now allow you to order movies directly from your AppleTV, since the movies won't be downloadable to your computer.)
  • Reply 23 of 70
    I wonder how long until Canadian's can rent movies.

Man... I gotta find someone in USA to employ me, give me a US Credit Card, A Post-Office Box, and start my (barely) legal Cross-Border digital movie rental ring.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    And an important question for Deaf/hard of hearing folks: Are these videos captioned or not?
  • Reply 25 of 70
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    The rental store isn't showing up for me-- and I downloaded the latest iTunes/Quicktime just now.

Where is it!?
  • Reply 26 of 70
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I have a question....

If I were to rent a movie from the AppleTV box. How do I get it to my iPod? Does synching now work in reverse (from a device to your iTunes library).

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Um, how much storage do you people have?? Very, very few people have the space to permanently store HD movies on their hard drives. Myself included.

Go with external drives.

I rip DVDs for TV use and they usually come out around 2 GB. Let's call SD 640 x 480 (just to make this easy) and HD 1280 x 720. That would make SD one quarter the resolution of HD. Now let's assume that HD movies file sizes are going to be 4 times that of SD, that would make a 2 GB SD movie into a 8 GB HD movie. I have a 500 GB external drive dedicated to iTunes, that would mean I could fit about 60 HD movies on it. That's not bad. This time next year what will 2 TB of external storage cost? That will hold roughly 240 HD movies.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I have a question....

If I were to rent a movie from the AppleTV box. How do I get it to my iPod? Does synching now work in reverse (from a device to your iTunes library).

That's what it seems like. The TV site says that if you purchase MUSIC it will sync with your computer/iTunes and then your iPhone/iPod. I guessing it works the same with movies. I thought I saw something that said once you start playing a rented movie you can sync it to your iPod.

From the TV Features page under Music: "And any music you buy from Apple TV automatically syncs to your computer, so you can transfer it to your iPod or iPhone."
  • Reply 29 of 70
    My issue is with the 24 hour time limit. It usually takes me 2 or 3 days to watch a movie because I usually fall asleep and restart the movie the next day from the point I last remember.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Where on earth is the rental service? I don't see it anywhere and I've downloaded 7.6.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I saw somewhere that new releases are available for rental online 30 days after they are available on DVD. Is this true? The bulk of rentals occurs well within the first 30 days of release.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Right, for Apple TV.

But I think the original AppleInsider article is wrong. I don't think you can get HD in iTunes--only on Apple TV. (That is, you can only get SD on your computer/iTunes, but you can get 720p HD on your AppleTV. That's one reason they now allow you to order movies directly from your AppleTV, since the movies won't be downloadable to your computer.)

Man, that would be a real bummer - there is no difference between downloading it to the AppleTV and to the computer, why would they restrict the HD to the AppleTV??? I would have to see some evidence of this before I believed it... (not that they wouldn't do something like this...)

I thought he said the whole point was that you could finish watching it on another device (like another computer???)
  • Reply 33 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

Too Expensive for a Download! This Pricing structure wont work for the general public... it should be,"I mean... RENTAL? Cmon!" 99 cents for Standard Quality,$1.99 for hd!

my 0.2 cents

Oh please!

Do you think they're going to lose money on each doenload just so cheap people can be happy?

I'm sure they're as low as they can go right now.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

My issue is with the 24 hour time limit. It usually takes me 2 or 3 days to watch a movie because I usually fall asleep and restart the movie the next day from the point I last remember.

You are a VERY unusual case.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    As my boss said to me this morning. I get on a plane for a business trip, start a movie, land and go to my meeting then back on a plane and watch the rest of my movie. But wait, it took more than 24 hours before I got back on the plane so I can't watch the rest of my movie That sucks

Forget the 24 hours to watch, make it 30 period, heck, I'd settle for 14 days and be happy.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh please!

Do you think they're going to lose money on each doenload just so cheap people can be happy?

I'm sure they're as low as they can go right now.

I agree with you to a point. I am sure they are as low as they can go but the fact remains that this pricing is not very competitive in the current market. They can price where ever they want. Its their product. As with all things some people will use these and for others it does not work and won't use it but I think if Apple did it a little different they could get more business.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    John Gruber at DF read to TOS in the new iTunes and came up with this:

Quote:

(aa) Movies are viewable only on your Mac or Windows computer (using iTunes 7.6 or later), iPhone, video-enabled iPod (iPod touch, iPod nano (3rd generation), or iPod classic), or on TVs using your Apple TV. Movies in high definition resolution (HD) are viewable only on TVs using your Apple TV and must be downloaded directly to your Apple TV. Movies are viewable only on one device at a time.

So there you have it, HD movies only available on TV. He found other interesting stuff, too. I suggest you read the whole article...

Here's the link to his article
  • Reply 38 of 70
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesperih View Post

I wonder how long until Canadian's can rent movies.

Man... I gotta find someone in USA to employ me, give me a US Credit Card, A Post-Office Box, and start my (barely) legal Cross-Border digital movie rental ring.

You used to be able to buy from the US iTunes store in Canada by simply entering a valid CDN credit card and a valid US address (including 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA ....) because Apple only validated the credit card numbers, not the associated address. I'm looking into this.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

You used to be able to buy from the US iTunes store in Canada by simply entering a valid CDN credit card and a valid US address (including 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA ....) because Apple only validated the credit card numbers, not the associated address. I'm looking into this.

You can also get someone to send you a US Prepaid card and set up an account on the US Store. I've done this in the US to gain access to the Japan iTunes store.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateScreenNames View Post

John Gruber at DF read to TOS in the new iTunes and came up with this:

So there you have it, HD movies only available on TV. He found other interesting stuff, too. I suggest you read the whole article...

Here's the link to his article

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Man, that would be a real bummer - there is no difference between downloading it to the AppleTV and to the computer, why would they restrict the HD to the AppleTV??? I would have to see some evidence of this before I believed it... (not that they wouldn't do something like this...)

I thought he said the whole point was that you could finish watching it on another device (like another computer???)

Because of DRM/HDMI. Your computer doesn't have an HDMI connector; an AppleTV does.