Apple announces Time Capsule backup appliance

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

Simply means its a 7200RPM SATA drive.

I don't think so, I think it means the Enterprise Storage (ES) class of hard drives. A 1TB ES hard drive costs $50 more than a regular consumer version of the same drive.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it means the Enterprise Storage (ES) class of hard drives. A 1TB ES hard drive costs $50 more than a regular consumer version of the same drive.

Yes but Enterprise Storage class isn't strictly defined.

Since Apple's tech specs state this is a 7200RPM SATA, my guess ES to them could just mean the noise and temperature specs of the drives they are using.

Generally ES drives spin faster and are packed denser, but we know its not the case here.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Was anyone else underwhelmed by the design on this one? It's rather boring- too much like AppleTV or Airport Extreme. It looks neither like a space module nor prescription pill?

You know, you're right. I would sort of expect some kind of SciFi looking device that leaps out at you-- perhaps one that one could bury in the back yard for a century, or so, or at least until the next update of the MacMini.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    If I partition the drive and copy files to it, setting it up as a home server, will my house mates PC laptop be able to see it and the files? Be able to grab stuff from it and also put stuff on it?

And also... a ps3?
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I don't know that the speed issue can be fixed without putting more computing power into the Airport Extreme. Others could explain it better than I, but the slow speed of a connected AirDisk is due to the horsepower needed to convert "wireless or ethernet data" into "hard disk data." Airport Extreme just doesn't have much horsepower; and neither, I suspect, does Time Capsule.

Yep, it's certainly worth waiting for some benchmarks. If they've just slammed the same hardware from the old Extreme in the box with a hard drive then that'll show up there, and it would be a great pity as an Apple backed NAS would solve a lot of issues.

I was all ready for a Droboshare, despite the cost, but the benchmarks are saying 8MB/s over gig ethernet and SMB only anyway. Very disappointing. Next up the scale are the ReadyNAS drives but I've never been too sure their AFP implementation is spot on. They announced a two drive system last week which I've not checked out yet.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas View Post

SuperDuper is not even fully compatible with Leopard yet. I am disappointed it has taken so long to update this product.

Steve

I reverted to Carbon Copy Cloner which works perfectly with Leopard for bootable clones.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahk View Post

I really hope this doesn't mean that they are giving up on Time Machine support through AirDisk on Airport Extreme ...

Just checking tech specs on both AE and Time Capsule and they are the same as far as I can see. So Apple must have disabled TM recognition on drives attached to AE. I also notice the graphic on the AE tech page shows the USB drive as yellow not green. It does tout the high speed data sharing abilities of such a drive but no mention of TM. So it looks like those of us with a new AE and a large USB drive either need Apple to free up this ability or we need a friendly hacker
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

1) yes, if you configure it as a network drive and not just for backup

5) yes if you use it as a network drive

What I'm wondering is if you can partition it and use one drive as a regular-use NAS and the other just for backup

On the Time capsule page i can't see any reference to this being accessible as an network drive, please tell me this isn't locked down for Time machine backup only, I'd like to have it mounted on my desktop and move some of my larger files there.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martijnbolkestein View Post

OUTRAGED

In its adds Apple promised Time Machine would work wirelessly. I bought a base station, I bought a USB harddisk, I bought Leopard. Only to find that Apple had withdrawn support last minute.

And now they are selling this 'alternative'. Why would we trust Apple that this actually does work?

Same here. Outraged. This proves that our previous configuration would not ever work without paying for extra or getting this TC. So how the heck do I solve my wireless issue ?. I got a nice wireless NAS already and I would like to keep that, so I cannot use TM on wireless with TC ?. Unless they figured out a way to do 2 different connections to my mac ?. Guys some help here!,
  • Reply 50 of 55
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

It's a good idea, but the price for a good $500 external hard drive plus an access point is far than than $500.

I take back what I said, I thought the $499 price tag was entry level. at $299, it's actually note that bad of a deal. Since I'm looking for both a wireless-N router and a backup hard drive, I might get one.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Easy now... there'll presumably be an OS update sometime this week that might finally restore wireless Time Machine backups for those of us with external USB drives. Wouldn't be the first time Apple did something like that. I, too, bought a base station, external drive, and Leopard with wireless backups in mind.

And if they don't give us that ability? Then I'll join you among the outraged, and patiently wait for a hack. Apple won't get my money on this one, that's for sure.

And if they don't give us that ability? Then I'll join you among the outraged, and patiently wait for a class action lawsuit.

I'm disappointed that the time capsule relies on a single hard drive.

They should have offered a model with 2X500GB mirrored drives.

An empty DROBO can be found for $450.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    This a great product, and if I didn't just buy a new AEBS, I would definitely get it. But I already have a 500GB USB drive hooked up to my AEBS running Airport Disk and am waiting for the AEBS software update that will Airport Disk to be used for Time Machine backup. Once again Apple is screwing around with their customers' goodwill, just like they did with the iPhone price reduction. Come on Apple! It would be so much better to honor your customers and give them what they, not just in new products, but in providing features that are easily accomplished by a software update. Much better than creating angst and complaints and then finally coming around in response. Do the right thing! And there is no need to worry about creating distinctions in the Airport product line - Time Capsule will be a winner product regardless of whether or not you simply turn on Time Machine support with the current AEBS.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Just wondering about something... what happens if you are backing up to Time Capsule and your computer goes into sleep mode. Data loss? Crash?
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

On the Time capsule page i can't see any reference to this being accessible as an network drive,

well, here you go (from apple product page):

Quote:

Works with Mac and PC.

Time Capsule with Time Machine in Leopard is the ideal backup solution. But that doesn?t mean Tiger, Windows XP, and Windows Vista users can?t enjoy the benefits of Time Capsule, too. Because it mounts as a wireless hard drive, Tiger and Windows users simply access Time Capsule directly from the wireless network for exchanging and storing files quickly and easily.

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/wireless.html
  • Reply 55 of 55
    I see that you can back up more than one system to the Time Capsule. As someone who has LONG waited for a way that my laptop and iMac can easily sync my music and photo libraries, might this be away? Could they both access the 'latest' version of each library and update themselves wirelessly like with iDisk?