Apple issues iTunes, QuickTime, Front Row, iMovie updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
To support iTunes movie rentals and other features, Apple has rolled out a bevy of new patches for its media playback tools. Also, the firm has slipped in an iMovie fix.

iTunes 7.6 and QuickTime 7.4

Both iTunes 7.6 and QuickTime 7.4 have been made available to support Apple's new iTunes Movie Rentals service.

All are available now for Mac OS X and require Panther or later.

Front Row 2.1.2

For Mac OS X Leopard systems, Front Row 2.1.2 adds compatibility with the latest version of iTunes. It also applies several bug fixes, Apple says.

iMovie 7.1.1

In addition to its playback-related updates, Apple has also issued iMovie 7.1.1.

The patch specifically resolves problems with sending movies to a .Mac Web Gallery. It also improves the video editing software's stability and several other minor issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both iTunes 7.6 and QuickTime 7.4 have been made available to support Apple's new iTunes Movie Rentals service.

Is anyone able to rent videos? I'm not seeing any options other than purchase, and I don't recall any mention of, "this feature will enabled by February."
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Is anyone able to rent videos? I'm not seeing any options other than purchase, and I don't recall any mention of, "this feature will enabled by February."

I believe they said 2 weeks
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Any issues with updates yet?

Just curious.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

Just curious.

I have an issue: Airdisk on my Airport Extreme Base Station has not worked reliably since Leopard came to town. Where's THAT update?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I believe they said 2 weeks

Thanks... I must have missed that.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Thanks... I must have missed that.

Actually, Steve said today for rentals in his keynote. I don't see it yet. Perhaps later today.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lgrlgr Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Just curious.

Yes. iTunes 7.6 is not working well with the firewall turned on (I set access for each application). Despite having set iTunes to allow incoming connections, every time iTunes starts up, it asks anew whether I want to block or allow. I never had this problem prior to today's update.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    From the iTunes update description:

Quote:

Enjoy rented movies in sizes up to 720p HD with surround sound on your Apple TV and sizes up to DVD-quality on your computer.

Are they seriously saying I can't rent HD movies to be played on my Mac through FrontRow? Is that because the movie studios are afraid I'll crack their DRM and put the movies on BitTorrent (why would I do that when I could rip a Blu-ray disc and get 1080p) or because Apple wants to sell me another $230 box?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Jobs mentioned support for subtitles.

Do iTunes movies, rented or otherwise, have this feature now? Can we add these in QT and turn them on/off on the fly on an iPod or iPhone? Does iMovie/iDVD allow you to add these?

Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I own an iPhone, I'm not updating
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I own an iPhone, I'm not updating

• Reply 12 of 18
    Steves Keynote was awesome, a change from last year when all the attention was on the iPhone.

Reminds me of 2004 and 2003 and 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However:

In the keynote ? He looks thin, (his face) your Impressions:?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redison View Post

Steves Keynote was awesome, a change from last year when all the attention was on the iPhone.

Reminds me of 2004 and 2003 and 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However:

In the keynote ? He looks thin, (his face) your Impressions:?

Every year someone says this, I doubt he's sick, if he was he'd probably be prepping to pull a Bill Gates.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    So does front row work with AirTunes yet?

-Sigh- I assume not, because I don't think apple sees this as a bug..........
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I wonder if the little mentioned iMovie update also is to fix a loophole whereby you can download a movie rental and then use an un-upgraded version of iMovie to encode the movie to a permanent video?? Wouldn't that be funny
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I wonder if the little mentioned iMovie update also is to fix a loophole whereby you can download a movie rental and then use an un-upgraded version of iMovie to encode the movie to a permanent video?? Wouldn't that be funny

Has iMovie EVER been able to bring in DRM'd movies as source material? Doubt it.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I downloaded Front Row and iMovie, but those other two can go lump it
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Just curious.

Yesterday I downloaded the new updates for my ipod and today I went into ical to add an event and it wont let me edit the information. This my be a coincidence but is anybody having any problems like mine or have any suggestions? I'm lost without ical!