Steve Jobs talks MacBook Air, China Mobile, Amazon Kindle, more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Apple is wise to stay away from any cable card business. I haven't met a person who doesn't hate his/her cable carrier for being money-grubbing price-hike-crazy bastards. Apple doesn't need that association.

Instead, with video, music and podcasts, I'm hoping that the whole iTunes infrastructure grows into an alternative source of information and entertainment that can rival cable and satellite tv. Then content makers will be knocking on iTunes' door to let them in on the party.

Cablecard II was supposed to eliminate these problems, but so far...
  • Reply 42 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby View Post

afraid you've completely missed the point of the ereader! Perhaps you haven't seen one.

It's all about the screen.

The screen isn't really that important.

I've been using both Palm;s, and MobileWrite's readers for years (they have free versions too). First, on my old Samsung i300 and i330, with 160 x 160 rez screen, and later on my Treo 700p with its much improved 320 x 320 screen. All high contrast, as opposed to this, and the Sony. And they're color. If anything in the book is in color, that's the way it appears. I can magnify images, if need be.

All are just fine!

The only difference to a small screen is that there is less on the screen. Books come out as having 1200 pages or so because of the amount that the screen can hold.

But it works great! I can choose the size of the type, the font (works well with the Treo), whether any controls are on the screen or whether just the type is present, etc.

It takes one finger to turn the page. Or I can set it to scroll, with variable speeds. One handed use. Great when on the subway and must stand, holding a pole, or something.

It adds nothing to the cost of the phone. with a memory card, I can have hundreds of books on hand at once.

Don't need no stinkin' dedicated reader!
  • Reply 43 of 108
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    So, Steve admitted that the MBA is mainly HIS personal wet dream and a "challenge" for the engineers.

I think the stock holders would have preferred a detailed explanation about what market the MBA is targeting.

Steve and his 50 head engineering team is hardly a market.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    Well, I may not be typical, but I read 4-5 novels every trip to Asia, which I do about every 2-3 weeks. My wife bought me a Kindle because she felt that it sould save a lot of money over time than my typcial visit to the Airport Book store.(Usually spending around $60.00)

Books from Amazon in Kindle format are about 1/2 cost of the hardcopy at Amazon, so figure I can save $30.00 per trip, in 6-9 months I am ahead of the deal.

I also have a notebook with me on every trip, but I just do not enjoy watching DVDs or playing games for 12 hours at a time as much as I like reading.

The Kindle's form factor is just about right in tems of holding it in your hand. The screen is easy to read in ANY ambient lighting that you would be able to read a book in.

10-12 hours of battery life per charge gets me to Seoul. Trickle charging from my notebook USB if need be.

I actually have found that I also like the periodical subsciption. Each morning a WSJ is loaded, and it is a lot easier to read while standing on a train or crammed into an economy seat than a real newspaper is.

The free wireless internet access is an added plus, since I can read and send EMAILs from just about anywhere.

I think that Amazon has done a great job on the Kindle. It is not perfect, but I think that the limitations are more software and infrastructure related rather than hardware and that these are easy to improve over time. I think that the important thing that I have seen is that the ease of access to the media is as revolutionary as iTunes was to music. Time will tell if the days of printed word are over, but I for one am happy that Jeff Bezos does not believe that they are.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

So, Steve admitted that the MBA is mainly HIS personal wet dream and a "challenge" for the engineers.

I think the stock holders would have preferred a detailed explanation about what market the MBA is targeting.

Steve and his 50 head engineering team is hardly a market.

That's Steve's marketing genius right there. You can be sure that he knows exactly what market it's designed to target and why, but he's not going to lay it out there for the general public in quite that way.

When Steve talks about Apple products, everything is "gorgeous" and "stunning" and "revolutionary" and "phenomenal." He talks about all of it as if it were his personal favorite thing in the world. And that enthusiasm is contagious. Somehow, you watch his keynotes and you find yourself wanting something that you never knew you needed.

Even if Steve were terribly disappointed with the product, he'd still talk about it as if it were exactly the thing he'd always wanted to build. And when the replacement product comes out, then he fesses up to the failures of its predecessor. Not before.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Trying to make people believe how great a new product is only works to a certain level, even for Steve Jobs.

Remember the flowerpower iMac? the Cube? even the Mac mini?

People loved these machines when they were announced (at least some did), but in the market, they eventually failed. The Cube being the prime example of a failed product, despite genius engineering.
  • Reply 47 of 108
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They're not cheaper at all.

The price for a new bestseller should be $4.99, and once it goes softcover, the price should drop to $2.99.

Prices have to be low enought for peope to pick them up on a whim.

With those prices, both publisher and writers will still get the same amount of money they get with paper editions. I checked.

So right now, they are netting that much more per ebook because it's not printed? That's what I would expect, and that's why I don't like the eReader concept, it shifts the costs to us without giving us any of the benefits other than convenience.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:

I agree that it will fail. With people talking about how expensive Apple's products are, this one makes them look inexpensive.

Even with the advantages of being able to download books straight to the device, it's far too expensive. It's also far too big for something that's basically a one trick pony.

The fact that it plays MP3's is meaningless. Who is going to abandon their iPods for a monstrosity like this? No one.

If the price came down to $149, and they lost that keyboard for a touch interface with just a very few keys so as to simplify and shrink the product, it just MIGHT become interesting to any other than early adopters.

But with people complaining that iTunes movies cost too much to buy, and too much to rent, the cost of e-books is a joke.

Look at this typical pricing:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/HomePag...sp?Language=EN

They have GOT to be kidding!

Yep. It is too expensive.

And Jobs point (40 percent read only one book a year) is really that the Kindle is not a product for the masses. It is a niche product for those who read a lot of books and would actually plunk $400 down to buy it. The iPods in comparison are priced for the masses and designed for the masses. Even people who like books can buy the audio version and listen to it on an iPod. Not to mention the expanding capabilities of video and the iTouch/iPhone.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

afraid you've completely missed the point of the ereader! Perhaps you haven't seen one.

Actually, that was my point. The iPhone has a gorgeous, high def screen. The Kindle? Not so much.

The resolution of both is still far inferior to even a mass-market paperback, but for clarity and presentation the iPhone is lovely. The main issue would be the size of the device, but that's an issue for the Kindle too--it's too ungainly.

However, the simple fact is that none of these options can beat a book yet.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So right now, they are netting that much more per ebook because it's not printed? That's what I would expect, and that's why I don't like the eReader concept, it shifts the costs to us without giving us any of the benefits other than convenience.

Yeah, they seem to be afraid of damaging the printing market with lower pricing.

I don't know what Amazon is doing with the prices for the Kindle, but ricko is claiming they are half priced. Maybe, and maybe not. I buy books from both Amazon, and Barns and Noble. Most books are 20% off to begin with, and even 30% off for hardcover. Then I get my membership (B&N) 10% over that. Then, in addition, B&N sends me discounts through the mail. The other day, I got one for an additional 10% off any order, and another one for an additional 25% off one item (always the most expensive).

With all of those discounts, I don't think ricko is getting ANY discount over a regular book price. Amazon tends to charge higher prices for their books than can be gotten from B&N because of the membership discounts, and their regular low pricing model. I'm familiar with both, because we but a LOT of books from both.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Yep. It is too expensive.

And Jobs point (40 percent read only one book a year) is really that the Kindle is not a product for the masses. It is a niche product for those who read a lot of books and would actually plunk $400 down to buy it. The iPods in comparison are priced for the masses and designed for the masses. Even people who like books can buy the audio version and listen to it on an iPod. Not to mention the expanding capabilities of video and the iTouch/iPhone.

Separate book readers have been out for a long time now, and with all the features each generation heralded, none have been successful.

This one has some advantages, but not enough to overcome the disadvandages for most people who might be the targeted market.

People these days don't want to carry several devices around with them.

Look to how the devices are converging.

Soon, only one device will do everything needed that a full size device can do, except for easy typing for long essays.

Buying a separate book reader is so passé.

And book prices must drop.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Apparently you've missed something too. That Kindle isn't pocketable (unless you have really big pockets) and it's a single tasker. Sorry, that sucker isn't going anywhere with me. I've already got a phone/iPod/Laptop (I won't spring for an iPhone until I learn to stop dropping my phone on the pavement).
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Apparently you've missed something too...

Maybe so, I've only seen the Sony so... I like the epaper.

I don't believe you can read books in broad daylight off an Apple product to date.

However with the Sony it's just the same as a paper book. It's not designed so that you must now carry your phone your iPod and your ereader. It's only for the case whereby you need various books to hand in readable format. Either novels or perhaps manuals, or perhaps something else.

I was hoping Mr Jobs would solve the interface for me!
  • Reply 54 of 108
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Also, renting stuff was just stupid in general till yesterday! LOL!.

Good one!
  • Reply 55 of 108
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?I?m going to be the first one in line to buy one of these,? he added. ?I?ve been lusting after this.?

For Steve Jobs, the CEO, of Apple to make a statement like that is worrisome. He either needs a vacation fast or better yet - somebody please feed the man a steak- he's acting iron deficient.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

this is why ebook readers will fail:

NOBODY is going to spend $400 so that they can spend MORE money on a book.

i don't know how many eBooks you have to buy to break even - i don't even know the cost comparison between a paperback and an eBook, but i don't buy $400 worth of books in 2 years, and i read a LOT of books.

if it takes me 4 years to break even on the ebooks, how antiquated is my eBook reader by then? do i shell out another $400 for a new ebook reader?

i love having a library. l love having actual physical books that i can pick up, take with me on vacation, and not have to remember the charger or worry that i've only got 2 more hours before the battery in my book dies.

Steve's excuse of 40% of americans not being a big enough market is ridiculous - what percent of americans purchase ultralight laptops? 6 - 7%?

[aaarrrgggh - i would bet that those reading 20 - 30 books per year don't tend to have many gadgets]

Well, lots of people spend 300 bucks on an iPod, and then spend more on music to put in it. Same with DVD players and DVDs, Microwave ovens and food, computers and programs, apartments and furniture, etc.

If you read a lot of books, but don't spend 400 bucks in 2 years, you either use the library a lot (unlikely since you say you like having your own), or your definition of a lot is less than a book a month. Nowadays, unless you get discount versions of classics, most new softcover books seem to be in the 15 dollar range and hardcovers get up around 30 bucks.

Maybe you could have done a simple search to see why people would buy kindle - books cost 10 bucks or less (big savings especially over "new release" books which can be up to 30 bucks), you get 2 weeks of power (if you don't use wireless) on a charge, you can download newspapers and books basically from anywhere in the world with wireless service (including via cellphone networks) without having to sync with a computer, etc. etc and it's thinner and lighter than the average paperback. So, if yo read a LOT of books, it makes sense to have one, especially if you travel a lot, or don't feel like having hundreds of books lying around... hmmm kind of like an iPod vs. CDs...
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well, lots of people spend 300 bucks on an iPod, and then spend more on music to put in it. Same with DVD players and DVDs, Microwave ovens and food, computers and programs, apartments and furniture, etc.

If you read a lot of books, but don't spend 400 bucks in 2 years, you either use the library a lot (unlikely since you say you like having your own), or your definition of a lot is less than a book a month. Nowadays, unless you get discount versions of classics, most new softcover books seem to be in the 15 dollar range and hardcovers get up around 30 bucks.

Maybe you could have done a simple search to see why people would buy kindle - books cost 10 bucks or less (big savings especially over "new release" books which can be up to 30 bucks), you get 2 weeks of power (if you don't use wireless) on a charge, you can download newspapers and books basically from anywhere in the world with wireless service (including via cellphone networks) without having to sync with a computer, etc. etc and it's thinner and lighter than the average paperback. So, if yo read a LOT of books, it makes sense to have one, especially if you travel a lot, or don't feel like having hundreds of books lying around... hmmm kind of like an iPod vs. CDs...

My family reads a lot. I would say that between us we buy about 100 books a year, and that doesn't include about a dozen subscriptions to magazines and journals.

Most softcover books cost about $7, and most hardcover, a bit under $20.

But then there are the membership discounts available from B&N which brings it down further.

So far, e books cost the same, sometimes more, when the discounted memberships come into play.

There doesn't seem to be any price advantage yet to buying e books, and I've bought a number.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:

Separate book readers have been out for a long time now, and with all the features each generation heralded, none have been successful.

This one has some advantages, but not enough to overcome the disadvandages for most people who might be the targeted market.

People these days don't want to carry several devices around with them.

Look to how the devices are converging.

Soon, only one device will do everything needed that a full size device can do, except for easy typing for long essays.

Buying a separate book reader is so passé.

And book prices must drop.

Well, carrying around several devices happens right now. And maybe you don't consider a book a "device" but right now if you want a book and music, you have to carry a book and an iPod. Easier to carry a Kindle and an iPod, especially if you want more than one book, or want to get another book when you're finished the first one...

And in regards to your one device idea, the iPhone might be very styling and nice, but it will never be comfortable to read a book from a device that small, and with that type of screen, the same as surfing the internet will never be very nice on it.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Apparently you've missed something too. That Kindle isn't pocketable (unless you have really big pockets) and it's a single tasker. Sorry, that sucker isn't going anywhere with me. I've already got a phone/iPod/Laptop (I won't spring for an iPhone until I learn to stop dropping my phone on the pavement).

Sorry, are books pocketable? (aside from the gideons' new testament of course)

Do you think any iPod-sized device will ever be comfortable to read novels on?
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Well, carrying around several devices happens right now. And maybe you don't consider a book a "device" but right now if you want a book and music, you have to carry a book and an iPod. Easier to carry a Kindle and an iPod, especially if you want more than one book, or want to get another book when you're finished the first one...

I can shove my paperback in pockets I can't shove a Kindle without breaking it. I don't worry about dropping it either.

Quote:

And in regards to your one device idea, the iPhone might be very styling and nice, but it will never be comfortable to read a book from a device that small, and with that type of screen, the same as surfing the internet will never be very nice on it.

Quite a few people will say you're wrong in that, as PDa and smartphone book readers have been out for years, and are popular.

You obviously haven't tried it.