So where the hell is the MACTOUCH?? When then?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha I GET it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehe! Glad SOMEONE finally did. :-P

For those who are still a little confused...

Mac and Touch sounds like Mac-n-Touch which sounds like Macintosh

Oh, the PUNishment!
  • Reply 22 of 86
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There were no serious rumors about a "mactouch" being announced at Macworld. It was ultranotebook, movie rentals, and new iPhone firmware. The surprise was time capsule. The rumor was that they had been working on an UMPC that is 1.5 times the size of the iPhone, and was NOT going to be announced at MW '08.

I love how people feverishly fantasize about what Apple is going to announce, and then flip out when Apple doesn't announce what they had fantasized.

I'm not going to fall for it. Your trying to trick me into doing your work for you by looking for the rumors online and the posts about it.

Google it yerself ya lazeebumya.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I think I do. I think he wanted to find a way to let the user have the functionality of a much larger screen with the same feeling of portability you might have with the iphone.

Sorta like a laptop for the pocket as opposed to a tiny computer in the pocket.

I can kinda buy that, I guess. I would much rather just have a single, larger screen that I can put in my messanger bag. Now, it would be cool if could be a single screen and somehow (magic? reality distortion field? acid?) split into two! Impossible I know...but awesome.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Hehehe! Glad SOMEONE finally did. :-P

For those who are still a little confused...

Mac and Touch sounds like Mac-n-Touch which sounds like Macintosh

Oh, the PUNishment!

omg stop I just had lunch!
  • Reply 25 of 86
    Quote:

I can kinda buy that, I guess. I would much rather just have a single, larger screen that I can put in my messanger bag. Now, it would be cool if could be a single screen and somehow (magic? reality distortion field? acid?) split into two! Impossible I know...but awesome.

Well word is it won't be a simple clamshell but it might be a combination clamshell and a sliding mechanism which would suggest multiple ways to orient the display and controls. I can't wait to see what it turns out to be.

Oh, and I expect it to have a weird name along the lines of the macbook air. It probably won't be called mactouch like we all expect it to be.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    Quote:

Well word is it won't be a simple clamshell but it might be a combination clamshell and a sliding mechanism which would suggest multiple ways to orient the display and controls. I can't wait to see what it turns out to be.

Oh, and I expect it to have a weird name along the lines of the macbook air. It probably won't be called mactouch like we all expect it to be.

Hmmmm...that could be interesting...perhaps lay both sides down in a portrait fashion, have one side displaying my drawing program (optional active digitizer...blah blah blah) and a reference photo in the other....like dual monitors. Or slide it into a single screen variation...interesting.

Personally, I would prefer a single slate that can stand up in landscape and I can pair the bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

While I hope it isn't aimed solely at graphic artists, I know I and many other patient artists will be pissed off if it doesn't have the option of being penabled or at least allowing me to draw. A tablet without the ability to draw is nearly completely useless to me.

Oh I'd say there's a good probability you'll be able to draw on the Mac touch, but let's just say the stylus will be sold separately. If you catch my drift.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It'll be aimed at Corporate America and the Medical/Military Complexes.

Congress will dig the notion of having a Tablet and their latest information with wireless updates during Senate/House hearings.

Now you are definitely missing the point of this product. While all that is possibly true, this will be a mainstream products. It will be in a dreams of ever teen and adult alike. And could also give Apple the exposure they need in Asia.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:

With the rumors of the macbook air turning out to be true I think its more likely that the device will have dual 9" screens in a clamshell and or sliding type of configuration. Both screens will be multitouch with the bottom screen turning into an onscreen keyboard on command. And I think it will debut this year. All of this is based on recent rumors.

Strange I don't remember Apple making 100 patents on that type of product, and I don't remember that type of post here on the front page of A.I. either.

I do however see all that about an actual tablet.

There are lots of reasons why it won't have dual screens. Battery-file concerns. One screen will be lighter and thinner. If you're going to touch the screen you won't need a second one. Fewer moving parts. More minimal. More Apple-like. Rest assured if Apple make this product you're looking at a single screened device.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh I'd say there's a good probability you'll be able to draw on the Mac touch, but let's just say the stylus will be sold separately. If you catch my drift.

I think I do...but I am pretty damn stupid. :-P

Here is what I am thinking. Apple will release this device and it doesn't COME with a pen. Then for...oh, between $30 and $60, you can by a wacom style pen if you want to and there just wont be a slot in the MacTouch device like most tablet devices do.

Or are you implying that it by be a MacTouch and a MacTouch Pro aimed more at creative professionals?

Or am I just completely missing the drift...like I said, stupid!
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

I think I do...but I am pretty damn stupid. :-P

Here is what I am thinking. Apple will release this device and it doesn't COME with a pen. Then for...oh, between $30 and $60, you can by a wacom style pen if you want to and there just wont be a slot in the MacTouch device like most tablet devices do.

Or are you implying that it by be a MacTouch and a MacTouch Pro aimed more at creative professionals?

Or am I just completely missing the drift...like I said, stupid!

No, I'm saying this for some folks will be instead of a MacBook purchase. This will be Apple's "real" ultra-portable (not tiny lappy), and I further believe it will be set-up and synced through iTunes. I just disagree with some others who think this will be the iPod touch's bigger brother. I see this being more of a Mac than an iPod.

This device will do to the ultra-portable market what the iPhone has done to the phone industry - woke it up.

My official tag-line to describe this computer; "Take some work with you."

It would be awesome if this device had a desktop and a finger-sized menubar, and for the dock it had an iPhone-styled OS X dock (i.e. one row) and one could use one finger to scroll the dock along into the screen, the dock would simply appear to move in from the right as it's dragged to the left. You could have 50 items on it, or perhaps more. That's just one idea.

I also think this Mac touch (single slab) would be great with a pop-out stand on the rear so it could rest on a desk at about 25º when the stand was popped out. The stand could be popped back in at will.

That stand on the rear could work exactly like the lid on one of these (appropriately named) touch bins:

And the recess spot to push could be in the middle of the stand, the size of one finger - similar to the size of the iPhone's home button.

You're welcome Steve!
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Quote:

No, I'm saying this for some folks will be instead of a MacBook purchase. This will be Apple's "real" ultra-portable (not tiny lappy), and I further believe it will be set-up and synced through iTunes. I just disagree with some others who think this will be the iPod touch's bigger brother. I see this being more of a Mac than an iPod.

This device will do to the ultra-portable market what the iPhone has done to the phone industry - woke it up.

My official tag-line to describe this computer; "Take some work with you."

I see it as being somewhere in the middle actually. Not a full Mac per se but MUCH more powerful than an iPod. . But you are saying we can draw on it...if we buy/own a wacom tablet? That seems kind of...redundent, doesn't it? That means I have to carry TWO tablets!
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:

Hmmmm...that could be interesting...perhaps lay both sides down in a portrait fashion, have one side displaying my drawing program (optional active digitizer...blah blah blah) and a reference photo in the other....like dual monitors. Or slide it into a single screen variation...interesting.

Personally, I would prefer a single slate that can stand up in landscape and I can pair the bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

At first I wanted a single slate solution too. But this dual screen idea of theres might turn out to be something cool.

But when will they debut it? WWDC??
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:

Strange I don't remember Apple making 100 patents on that type of product, and I don't remember that type of post here on the front page of A.I. either.

I do however see all that about an actual tablet.

There are lots of reasons why it won't have dual screens. Battery-file concerns. One screen will be lighter and thinner. If you're going to touch the screen you won't need a second one. Fewer moving parts. More minimal. More Apple-like. Rest assured if Apple make this product you're looking at a single screened device.

I betcha a dollar it will be dual. If I lose I'll just add it to my cost of getting the device. I have the same bet with someone on macrumors too.

EDIT: Oops! I made the other bet with someone in this very thread not at macrumors!! Gawd my memory sucks.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Quote:

At first I wanted a single slate solution too. But this dual screen idea of theres might turn out to be something cool.

But when will they debut it? WWDC??

It would be very Apple. "Most tablets only have one touch screen...we have TWO! What you gonna do about THAT? Huh?"

I dunno when they will release it. I hope we don't have to wait until JUNE! Cry! I was hoping for sometime in March. A special event, maybe MacBook related. "Yeah, so here we have out MacBook all greened out, yeah, I know, I am awesome, these are great machines...oh and TABLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Reply 36 of 86
    As I was saying; dual screen would not only kill battery-life, but if you have a touchscreen you wouldn't need a second screen. Think about it.

The way I see it Mac touch would be the iPhone of Macs. And it would be the "perfect" large desktop complement. Just sync and go, even perhaps wirelessly.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    We shall see whos theory will prevail!!
  • Reply 38 of 86
    You guys are going to hate me for saying this but there's a lot of irrationality and not enough realists in this thread. Ireland is right. If such a device comes about it will have one screen, not two.

Whether Apple is interested in creating such a device is debatable. Along those lines, here are a few things to chew on.

1. Steve Jobs in the past has said they aren't interested in making a tablet because there is no market for it. He has gone against his own word before but it's something to keep in mind.

2. A tablet is a touch screened portable version of the Mac. The iPod touch and iPhone were recently released and they are basically portable versions of the Mac. They are likely to fill this role for many people, especially as their capabilities grow with the upcoming SDK and increasing access to WiFi. This will remove some of the market for a tablet. I used to want a tablet but now I can browse the web or even stream videos (thanks to iPhone Remote) with my iPhone on my couch or in bed. I no longer see the need for one.

3. The MacBook Air was recently released. It has a multitouch trackpad and is very easy to move about due to it's light weight and small size. This would also compete with the tablet market. Why do people want a tablet? It's highly portable and touch sensitive. The iPhone and MBA both have these qualities.

4. Many Apple rumors never come true.

Just because a tablet looks cool is not a good enough reason for them to bring one to market. Personally, I think they are aiming to satisfy the tablet market with the products they already have.

Read this quote from Steve Jobs in 2003 within the context of the above,

"J [Steve Jobs]: There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, "People couldn't type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think it's going to fail." Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already. "And people accuse us of niche markets." I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out . We believe cell phones are going to carry this information. We didn't think we'd do well in the cell phone business. What we've done instead is we've written what we think is some of the best software in the world to start syncing information between devices. We believe that mode is what cell phones need to get to. We chose to do the iPod instead of a PDA."

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/06/05.9.shtml

That was a big clue in 2003 as to where they were headed and now we have the iPhone. I honestly believe Steve thinks of the iPhone as the next-gen tablet.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    That makes too much sense. You'll be burned alive for such utterances.

Don't say you weren't warned...

• Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

You guys are going to hate me for saying this but there's a lot of irrationality and not enough realists in this thread. Ireland is right. If such a device comes about it will have one screen, not two.

Whether Apple is interested in creating such a device is debatable. Along those lines, here are a few things to chew on.

1. Steve Jobs in the past has said they aren't interested in making a tablet because there is no market for it. He has gone against his own word before but it's something to keep in mind.

2. A tablet is a touch screened portable version of the Mac. The iPod touch and iPhone were recently released and they are basically portable versions of the Mac. They are likely to fill this role for many people, especially as their capabilities grow with the upcoming SDK and increasing access to WiFi. This will remove some of the market for a tablet. I used to want a tablet but now I can browse the web or even stream videos (thanks to iPhone Remote) with my iPhone on my couch or in bed. I no longer see the need for one.

3. The MacBook Air was recently released. It has a multitouch trackpad and is very easy to move about due to it's light weight and small size. This would also compete with the tablet market. Why do people want a tablet? It's highly portable and touch sensitive. The iPhone and MBA both have these qualities.

4. Many Apple rumors never come true.

Just because a tablet looks cool is not a good enough reason for them to bring one to market. Personally, I think they are aiming to satisfy the tablet market with the products they already have.

1-And yet they continue to file patents for tablet devices. Besides, Apple is known for their secrecy so we really can't take anything Jobs says one way or another on an upcoming product.

2-An iPhone/Touch is NOT a portable Mac. Yes, it uses a variation of OSX but it isn't using Leopard. It can't run iWorks or iLife or Photoshop. A true tablet should allow people to be able to work and be entertained. Not to mention it is WAY too small! I can't use my iPod touch for surfing the web for all that long before my eyes are straining. I personally would prefer something at least twice as large.

3-Tablets are used because you can write on them, not because they are light. Heck, a rugged tablet are large and cumbersome but a lot of contractors like them because they can make notes. I know everyone thinks that an Apple tablet device would be only multitouch but without the option of taking notes, then they will fail to reach the current tablet market. You don't design a device that has an established market and NOT include the aspect that attracted them in the firstplace. That would be like making the iPod but having built in speakers and no headphone jack! And the MacBook Air is meant to compete with subnotebooks, it won't affect the tablet market at all.

4-This is true, but there can be a degree of truth.

And they CAN'T satisfy the tablet market because if the iPhone/iPod touch/MacBook Air did, no one would be here talking about rumors concerning an Apple Tablet, would we?

OH! And by the way, a quote from 5 years ago, based on the market 5 years ago, is not evidence that Apple would NEVER produce a tablet. Things change, the markets change. HP can produce a consumer level tablet for $1200 with both touch and active digitizer interface. Dell has a tablet now and are working on a multitouch one! The market is changing.