First Look: Time Capsule, AirPort, and Time Machine

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ..................
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I am betting that 10.5.2 update and the Airport Extreme update come out at the same time.



    Curious: What is the 'consensus' on what 10.5.2 is expected to do?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Curious: What is the 'consensus' on what 10.5.2 is expected to do?



    Besides what AppleInsider stated, Time Machine will have to updated to allow for remote access to remote drives.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulmelqlo View Post


    I have three words for you:



    Multi-function Printer Support.



    One of the biggest pet peeves and one of the only things that kept me from purchasing an Airport Base Station was the lack of support for multi-function printers, ie being able to wirelessly scan and fax. Some MFP were simply not even supported for basic printing. It seems as if Apple has overlooked this MAJOR detail yet again.



    I'm not sure that it's all Apple's fault. For example, my HP 7780 does all those things wirelessly with my Mac. Granted, HP is slow with the drivers and I'm currently using beta drivers, but it works. Maybe you should be complaining to the printer manufacturers.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaweston View Post


    I don't think the $120 premium is such a great deal considering the fact that you cannot swap out the backup drive offsite without purchasing another Time Capsule unit.



    If you're doing that then, you're right: it's not a "great deal" for you personally. But the fact that Apple is adding a hard drive to the Airport Extreme and raising the price by less than you could by the same drive (basically a negative markup), is, for most people, a great deal.



    Besides, why would you swap out the Time Machine drive? Just clone it occasionally and send that off site or clone your main drive.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,922member
    Is it just me or did anyone else notice in the images comparing the Time Capsule and the AirPort Extreme, that not only was the Extreme taller, the ports (USB, Ethernet, security lock, etc.) were bigger too?



    I guess they had to use mockups for the comparison images instead of actual photos, but it just seemed odd to me...
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Someone has written a cute line of code, and made a little "widgety" kind of installer for it that

    corrects the time machine/airport extreme problem. I'm running leopard, and it works fine.

    Once you run the flux capacitor, the disk attached to the airport extreme shows up as an option

    in the time machine disks. Here's the link:

    http://www.9to5mac.com/time-machine-...citor-43262455
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I think some of you don't realize the beauty of this system.



    Say I buy a new MacBook Air(tm). I take it everywhere with me. When I come home, I plug it in and leave it be. Time Machine(tm) wakes up and finds my new Time Capsule(tm). My work for the day is all backed up and secure without me doing a thing other than plugging in the machine and opening the case.



    Let's say that I'm visiting Havana, Cuba, and the airport's ancient X-ray machine scrambles the contents of my 80gb hard drive. When I get back home, I flip on the MacBook Air, it recognizes its hard drive is scrambled and automatically restores itself from TIme Capsule.



    All my data is saved!



    Well, except for that secret contract with Fidel.



    Maybe he was a bit smarter than I had thought.



    Of course if I had been really smart, I would have stuck with MacBook Pros and backed up my contract to a CD. I then could have taken it to one of their Internet cafes with the 20 year out of date computers(*), and uploaded it to an email. That love of aesthetics can be a real killer.



    To get serious again, as you can see, in this scenerio much of the point was that my data was, in fact, at home and backed up seamlessly via my wireless router. A very cool idea, and the price for the 1tb version is just $100 more than a bare drive. Not bad at all.



    D



    (*) Without WiFi. I don't think they even have USB.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Is it just me or did anyone else notice in the images comparing the Time Capsule and the AirPort Extreme, that not only was the Extreme taller, the ports (USB, Ethernet, security lock, etc.) were bigger too?



    I guess they had to use mockups for the comparison images instead of actual photos, but it just seemed odd to me...



    Not if you took high school math and sciences.



    And while you are thinking about that, look at the actual product dimensions vs the images presented.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Is it just me or did anyone else notice in the images comparing the Time Capsule and the AirPort Extreme, that not only was the Extreme taller, the ports (USB, Ethernet, security lock, etc.) were bigger too?



    I guess they had to use mockups for the comparison images instead of actual photos, but it just seemed odd to me...



    HAHA The new Airport Extreme is taller and has a bigger footprint. The old old measured 6.5"x6,5", while the new one measures 7.7"x7.7". It's all in the article.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post


    I think some of you don't realize the beauty of this system.



    Say I buy a new MacBook Air(tm). I take it everywhere with me. When I come home, I plug it in and leave it be. Time Machine(tm) wakes up and finds my new Time Capsule(tm). My work for the day is all backed up and secure without me doing a thing other than plugging in the machine and opening the case.



    That's not a bad example. The fact that Time Machine gets the backup done seamlessly and without interrupting the user to manually run, is a very good thing. Like you say, all they need to do is turn it on and let the backup run automatically.

    Your scenario about the missing Contract got me thinking:

    What if Time Capsule could also act as a disk reachable via Internet? ie. some sort of web-accessible drive? It's most likely going to be your main broadband router anyway, so it would already know its own IP, and thus can configure itself to port-forward requests to access the hard disk. Time Machine also does exact one-for-one copy of all files, in the same directory trees, so effectively, you should be able to pull out the Contract with no problem!

    I know that if your MBA was running on a basic restored image, you could still use Back To My Mac feature... but if we're working on the assumption you are stuck at the old internet cafe, then you'd need a web-accessible location.



    Any thoughts?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    One thing I'd like to find out is what are the possibilities for expanding the storage capacity. 1TB is good for now, but 1,2 maybe 3 years from now, chances are that my backups will require more than that. Is this as simple as connecting an external drive in one of the ports in the back?



    Also, I assume Time Capsule doesn't support RAID 1 (redundancy) given the single drive inside. Which another reason why I hope Apple allows the Airport Extreme/external drive combination, preferably NAS drives...
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotcheung View Post


    That's not a bad example. The fact that Time Machine gets the backup done seamlessly and without interrupting the user to manually run, is a very good thing. Like you say, all they need to do is turn it on and let the backup run automatically.

    Your scenario about the missing Contract got me thinking:

    What if Time Capsule could also act as a disk reachable via Internet? ie. some sort of web-accessible drive? It's most likely going to be your main broadband router anyway, so it would already know its own IP, and thus can configure itself to port-forward requests to access the hard disk. Time Machine also does exact one-for-one copy of all files, in the same directory trees, so effectively, you should be able to pull out the Contract with no problem!

    I know that if your MBA was running on a basic restored image, you could still use Back To My Mac feature... but if we're working on the assumption you are stuck at the old internet cafe, then you'd need a web-accessible location.



    Any thoughts?



    I use my AEBS as a basic internet file server by simply sticking 2GB of flash into the USB socket! I set it up to share the AirPort Disk over the WAN and that was that. Of course, since I don't subscribe to .Mac, keeping a tab of my IP address is my own problem. Fortunately my cable modem's pretty reliable and I've had the same IP since I set this up many months ago: kept at the top of Finder's Command+K connect to server window.



    While useful for small files, I'd certainly not advise it for anything heavy. Home broadband upload speeds (what you need when you're remote and "downloading" a file) are pretty lame compared to the down channel. But that said it can be a real convenience when you need it and I'm pleased with the little setup for now.



    Roll on AEBS Time Machine ? over 802.11n instead of ~30k/s broadband speed!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugo View Post


    One thing I'd like to find out is what are the possibilities for expanding the storage capacity. 1TB is good for now, but 1,2 maybe 3 years from now, chances are that my backups will require more than that. Is this as simple as connecting an external drive in one of the ports in the back?



    Also, I assume Time Capsule doesn't support RAID 1 (redundancy) given the single drive inside. Which another reason why I hope Apple allows the Airport Extreme/external drive combination, preferably NAS drives...



    Question one: should be just as simple as plugging in another drive. So long as they are all treated the same, which we expect and will be irritable if it's not?



    Question two: I really doubt Time Capsule would RAID its own internal drive. As far as I know, AEBS won't with several USB drives either. You get each drive show up by itself ? unless you have a caddy cunning enough to handle your RAID desires which serves up the virtual volume all by itself I guess.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugo View Post


    One thing I'd like to find out is what are the possibilities for expanding the storage capacity. 1TB is good for now, but 1,2 maybe 3 years from now, chances are that my backups will require more than that.



    At that time you will probably be able to buy a more commodious unit from Apple.

    You have to view these devices as non-expandable and short lived.

    You sell the old one eBay and buy a new one.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post


    is this a good deal?

    are the prices in range with similar sized hard drives?

    or are they jacked up in price as apple likes to do?



    Very competitively priced.



    For example: OWC sells a quad-interface 1TB external drive for $420 USD. See http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...teAL/400+USB2/

    So Apple is only charging $80 for the additional Airport stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post


    Very competitively priced.



    For example: OWC sells a quad-interface 1TB external drive for $420 USD. See http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...teAL/400+USB2/

    So Apple is only charging $80 for the additional Airport stuff.



    If you go with a consumer grade external 1TB HDD you can get them cheaper and the price for the Time Capsule is still very competitive.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hAqdnLJ7o



    Hack to use time machine with airport
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


    Love to see your evidence to support your clamor.



    He means like what Apple charges for RAM upgrades. You know, price gouging.

    Price out MacPro RAM vs the same kind available from Third Parties like OWC. The price differential is BREATHTAKING.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by planetWC View Post


    He means like what Apple charges for RAM upgrades. You know, price gouging.

    Price out MacPro RAM vs the same kind available from Third Parties like OWC. The price differential is BREATHTAKING.



    I think we'll be hearing that the "Mac's are too expensive" banality for awhile to come because the do look more expensive. At least the "there s no software for Macs" argument has gone mostly to the wayside.
Sign In or Register to comment.