MacBook (non-pro) Refresh

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

i know this is off topic but will a new macbook that has wireless n tech work on a wireless g router?

Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmoney_2010 View Post

also i am looking to buy a new computer in the next week or two and was originally waiting for an update to the mac mini but have decided on the macbook now.. so everyone thinks its safe to buy now?

I think yes. It is the Macbook Pro that has the priority right now.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    I was thinking about this today (after just buying the midrange macbook yesterday). They've moved their imacs to aluminium, so it makes sense that they'd use that look across the range.

Although the macbooks got internal revs late last year, that was a quiet update with no hoo-ha from apple. They could keep the basic internals but revise the form factor and do a big splash launch alongside the MBPs.

I'd quite like an aluminium model with backlit keypad, LED screen and the new gesture trackpad. That'd be enough for me to want one. and they've save some height just moving to the LED screen - look at what they can do with the air for example.

Oh well, I have a 28 day return policy on my macbook, so I'll try and keep it clean and if they launch something on the 26th that I want I'll do a clean reinstall of the OS and return it.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post

I was thinking about this today (after just buying the midrange macbook yesterday). They've moved their imacs to aluminium, so it makes sense that they'd use that look across the range.

Although the macbooks got internal revs late last year, that was a quiet update with no hoo-ha from apple. They could keep the basic internals but revise the form factor and do a big splash launch alongside the MBPs.

I'd quite like an aluminium model with backlit keypad, LED screen and the new gesture trackpad. That'd be enough for me to want one. and they've save some height just moving to the LED screen - look at what they can do with the air for example.

Oh well, I have a 28 day return policy on my macbook, so I'll try and keep it clean and if they launch something on the 26th that I want I'll do a clean reinstall of the OS and return it.

I think it is almost certain that Apple will produce a 13.3" notebook computer with an in-built DVD drive. There are two unanswered questions. One is will it be regular MacBook or a MacBook Pro? The other is when will it appear?

I have heard reports of a new aluminium 13.3" model being tested in Cupertino, but don't know whether this is a Pro or regluar MacBook. Personally, I don't think it matters what they launch it as, so long as it has a decent graphics processor. (This should be very do-able since the forthcoming Montevina Centrino chipset reduces the size of all major components.)

My guess, as opposed to any inside knowledge, is that any such machine is unlikely to appear before September. it may be that Apple takes no decision until it sees how the MacBook Air is doing. That said, it is possible that Apple could launch a revised Pro range with three diffrent screen sizes: 13, 15 and 17. Since the MBP revision is due within weeks now rather than months, we'll soon know.

The MacBook as is now is still a very good machine.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    I bet the 13" Alu model is a MacBook cause if there is a 13" MBP, it will kill MBA (same screen size, around the same price).

Anyway Apple WILL introduce aluminium encloser in all of it Macs cause they want to go green
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Now would be a great time to buy a MacBook. The only plausible speedbump to the MacBook in the next six months is a switch to Penryn processors. The MacBook will surely get Montevina well after the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air i.e. not in the next six months. There is no other technology coming in the next six months that could drive a MacBook speedbump.

The Montevina platform is scheduled for mid-2008. The iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro will be using the Santa Rosa platform with Penryn processors. The next update will see them with Penryn processors on the Montevina platform.

In 2009 we will see the Nehalem microarchitecture using the Calpella platform. This is the CPU/chipset combo to upgrade to, if you can wait.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tyler S View Post

Hi,

I looked for opinions on when the MacBook (non-pro) is going to be refreshed.

No idea! However I don't suspect major updates before fall. Minor updates possibly sooner to catch back to school sales.

Quote:

The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm going to college this coming year and my parents have promised me a laptop as a graduation present and are willing to give it to me early, for my birthday.

Nice parents, I got a cold shoulder.

Quote:

I know the new chipset is coming around with the revised penryns around May, but what does this mean in terms of Apple?

Apple is on its own set of tracks and the train really doesn't care about the rest of the world. Given that it is a greedy train, so I would not be surprised to see something ready for late back to school sales. It is a stretch and frankly Intel has already had issues with the current Penryns so who is to say they can meet the mid summer dead line. The point is I wouldn't count on a MAJOR MacBook refresh. Minor certainly so that it can be advertised as new for back to school.

Quote:

Do you think they will only upgrade the Pro, wait a few months, and then update the non-pro? The reason why I'm asking this is because I would like to buy now, but I'd rather wait if the MacBook (non-pro) is going to be updated by June or earlier.

You really need to decide if you need to buy now. Frankly the details really don't matter because you will get a better deal if you can get into a back to school college discount program. That is check out the school you are going to and see if they offer discounted computer to students. If so it is a no brainer to buy after you are registered as a student. Some student discounts are very much worth the wait. Please check.

The flip side of the coin here is what do you know about computers right now? Because it really pays to be up to speed with your PC the first day of school. Or to put it another way school is no place to become one with you laptop, it is something you should have perfected long before the first class. Frankly this is the only reason I can think of to buy a laptop early, other wise look for student discounts and specials.

Quote:

I've also noticed that the first-generation products tend to not have the quality that the later generations do have. Ex - the earlier first-gen MacBooks had a lot of problems with logic boards, odd processor fan noises, etc. Will this be true for the refresh as well?

There are no guarantees with respect to intial quality. The only good thing is that Apple has a better track record than most PC makers in making things right.

A couple of things to note:

First the Apple products are excellent but do realize that the school you are going to has some impact on your PC choice. If the school and your program is built around a PC running Windows or a computer running Linux you may have trouble with a Mac. You really need to square your purchase with the school and the specific program you are in. That may be hard to swallow but it is a reality, you can not assume that a MacBook will get you through any one program. Thankfully this is not the problem it use to be, but YOU NEED TO CHECK!

Second; t might be advantageous to put off the laptop for a few weeks or a quarter or two. Use a cheap ass desk top and save yourself some security grief. That is nice shinny new laptops can and will walk. Plus it gives you a bit of time to think about the best laptop for the job ahead.

Third; consider that you are making a system purchase. Most importantly Systems need a back up plan and hardware. A MacBook that fails could leave you dead in the water, so look closely at how you would recover from such a fate at school. This means having a solid backup plan that includes CDROMs, Memory sticks and file translations. You will want to be able to pick up from where you left off without loosing more than a days work. Part of that plan should be a USB dongle kept on your person at all times.

Dave
  • Reply 47 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The question is straight forward as I'm not convinced of its "green" qualities. There are a couple of issues that need to be considered. One is that the generation and processing of Aluminum is very power hungry. The other is the limited design options and the durability of aluminum components. Especially Aluminum components that are threaded. I'm just not convinced that Aluminum offers the longevity and quality that every one attributes to it. Once Aluminum becomes damaged you have to recycle it at considerable expense compared to plastics. Finally the issue of strength has been raised and is legitimate.

When looked at form the standpoint of total energy consumption is Aluminum greener than plastic. Also considering the movement to non oil based plastics and nano material additives is plastic really an negative for the environment. Especially considering the design alternatives it offers up?

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Aluminum or metals themselves. I use to work in the die casting industry so I know a bit about metals and the industry. I've also done work with plastics. Frankly I don't see how Apple can remain competitive with an Aluminum MacBook. To make a design that is rugged and lightweight takes a lot more effort than they have put into the Mac Book Pros. I just don't see them coming up with a rugged and serviceable design that matches the current MacBook on a cost effective Aluminum process.

So is Aluminum green, I don't think so. At least not if affordability and cost effectiveness is taken into consideration. Could Apple make a rugged Aluminum Mac Book, sure but who would be willing to pay for it?

Dave
  • Reply 48 of 48
    I decided that i would just wait untill i graduate and go to college to get a mac so that i could save my parents a little money.. so i got a Gateway T-1625 laptop to hold me over for the last two years of high school.. ik that this is an apple site.. but i wasnt very happy about not getting the mac!! oh well, the gateway is working really well so far