Sloooow Java

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 22 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>Great, another efficiently written web page missing content. Congratulations. Your learned comments on C++ and Java also deserve recognition, but I'll let the jury of the ages deal with that. I would like to see a port of anything that involves a window more complex than "hello world" done in less than an hour though. Anyone can recompile a console application, that isn't exactly a port.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure - how would you like to see that? In fact, porting a MUD can be done in about 5-10 minutes.

And about the web page - Keep an open, optimistic mind. Some of you seem to be big pessimists.

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: kHack ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 32
  • Reply 24 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

We've seen too many sites long on promises and short on delivery. You will determine where your site falls in the end, right now it's pretty sparse.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sparse? Short on delivery? You can't make assumptions until it gets going. And the delivery is here.

Also, I made my own "eliza" AI program from scratch, and ported it to several different platforms.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong>

Sure - how would you like to see that? In fact, porting a MUD can be done in about 5-10 minutes.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh, yeah right. Aside from endianess issues, programming languages are fairly portable. However, API calls are not. Every operating system has a different set of APIs. And, sure, some APIs are fairly portable like OpenGL and the C standard library, but any non-trivial GUI C++ application will still make many calls to an operating system's unportable native APIs. Have you ever developed anything other than a console application?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by Brian J.:

<strong>

Uh, yeah right. Aside from endianess issues, programming languages are fairly portable. However, API calls are not. Every operating system has a different set of APIs. And, sure, some APIs are fairly portable like OpenGL and the C standard library, but any non-trivial GUI C++ application will still make many calls to an operating system's unportable native APIs. Have you ever developed anything other than a console application?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, in VisualBasic and RealBasic, which port almost seamlessly. Also, why are you complaining about code portability? If you have a complaint, do something about it.

• Reply 27 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong>

Yes, in VisualBasic and RealBasic, which port almost seamlessly. Also, why are you complaining about code portability? If you have a complaint, do something about it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. The IDEs make the programs portable, not the languages.

2. "Basic" is the operative word in those "languages". Read my post again. I said non-trivial.

3. From your earlier post, it seems that real men write their own HTML. So why would you code in those toy IDEs? Aren't the RealBasic IDE and the VisualBasic IDE the programming equivalent of Dreamweaver?

4. I'm not complaining about anything. I'm pointing out facts.

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: Brian J. ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 32
  • Reply 29 of 32
  • Reply 30 of 32
    How does downgrading Dreamweaver have anything to do with Frontpage, which I think is decent? Also, why write HTML code when you can use a powerful tool? Dreamweaver is too cluttered and clumbsy for daily use.

And could you all please try not to be so damn negative? It seems you are always in every thread looking for something to animadvert. Just chill, have an un-biased mind, and go grab some intelligence.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    I'm sorry about that last post - I made a mistake. You don't have the capacity to have any intelligence, or to be un-biased. Sorry about that!
  • Reply 32 of 32