Reports: Apple and NBC mending fences

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Other than the Muslim reference, he is right. Jobs will stick to his position no matter how much it hurts his potential partners if he thinks he has the upper hand.

Only when he has no chioce whatsoever, will he give in.

We can see that with movie rentals. Obviously, that's not what he would have wanted, but he saw he had no choice.

So you sat in on the discussions?
  • Reply 22 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

Just to note.. apple did not make a single cent on itunes content.. they are only focus on their products which is the ipods.

I don't believe that. From the start of the iTunes Store stated that is was just above breaking even. The prices have stated constant but bandwidth costs, hosting costs, and the slew of iTunes gift cards which keep the that 3% from coming out of Apple's pocket is all an additional gain.

Quote:

To note, NBC is not making very much money, that was one of the catalyst to this stalemate.. NBC probably makes more money streaming with ad.

Quote:

There really wasn't much of a revenue stream. It might become one in the future, but right now, the sales and profits from it have been miniscule.

I don't buy this either. Are they losing revenue from another source because they offer their content on iTunes the day after a show aires? Are advertisers pulling out because Neilsen families are getting their constant from iTunes instead.I would wager that iTunes TV Shows biggest impact is subduing some piracy efforts due to it's convenience.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:

With itunes already having 93% of ALL internet movie sales, despite having almost no movies to sell, the situation seems clear. If they had thousands, rather than just a few hundred, they would sell them.

I've was wondering if iTunes movies internet sales percentage would not go up substantially (or even down) now that they have a larger library to sell because they also have the option to rent. I have purchased many movies from iTunes but that was because torrents would take too long and there was no rental model in place. Now that there is a rental model I can't imagine purchasing a movie again.

I've rented 5 in the past week.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't believe that. From the start of the iTunes Store stated that is was just above breaking even. The prices have stated constant but bandwidth costs, hosting costs, and the slew of iTunes gift cards which keep the that 3% from coming out of Apple's pocket is all an additional gain.

All the hosting cost is being paid by the tv networks and every other major companies that wants their shows on itunes. the only thing Apple want is to provide itunes and Apple's name on those "TV products" (shows, movies..etc)

I talk to a professor who is teaching marketing for a university. He is very well connected in southern california. Obviously he is not in the meetings with apple. However, He talked to some of the professionals in the business who had dealing with apple about how Apple is making break even. meaning they are not profiting from the content of itunes. I never bought gift cards before, but if Apple charges for those gift cards, then maybe Apple is making some money.

However, if you think about the cost of making those gift cards, i'd say they are not making very much.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    I'd also like to add that on Sunday i went into my local Comet via Curry's on Sunday and asked if they had any Apple TV's in stock. The reply: "Apple what?"

Whilst i'm excited by the iTunes Movie Rental service when it eventually lands here in the UK, Apple have their work cutout getting the big retailers up-to-speed. I'm still amazed how many people outside the Apple box have not even heard of the Apple Store, despite the success of the iPod.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:

I've was wondering if iTunes movies internet sales percentage would not go up substantially (or even down) now that they have a larger library to sell because they also have the option to rent. I have purchased many movies from iTunes but that was because torrents would take too long and there was no rental model in place. Now that there is a rental model I can't imagine purchasing a movie again.

I dont know much about renting movies.. but which one is cheaper? renting from netflix or itunes or blockbuster? or would you not consider anything else other than itunes?

btw, i think time warner is contemplating a quota for their internet business. Meaning they want to put a quota on consumers and every kilobyte we are over, they are going to charge something.. which i dont think it will do very well.. considering other companies will just take over their market share...
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I'd also like to add that on Sunday i went into my local Comet via Curry's on Sunday and asked if they had any Apple TV's in stock. The reply: "Apple what?"

Whilst i'm excited by the iTunes Movie Rental service when it eventually lands here in the UK, Apple have their work cutout getting the big retailers up-to-speed. I'm still amazed how many people outside the Apple box have not even heard of the Apple Store, despite the success of the iPod.

Apple's brand name is huge in the US not in any other places (except Japan). thats why iphone is not selling very well in europe. the problem is Apple is a new company for international arena. id say give it time
  • Reply 28 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Just to note.. apple did not make a single cent on itunes content.. they are only focus on their products which is the ipods.

to be honest, there is some truth to what NBC is saying about how apple only wants to promote its ipod through itunes and minimize the studio's profit. NBC just went the wrong way by going public.

It's estimated that Apple makes 5 cents per song. Jobs did say that they make a small profit.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

to be honest, there is some truth to what NBC is saying about how apple only wants to promote its ipod through itunes and minimize the studio's profit. NBC just went the wrong way by going public.

Sorry, but you're wrong on that. Apple does make a slim margin, but they don't do it for free. Music and movies are a commodity business and the more they sell, the more margin they make.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

Have you considered NetFlix? I find it a superior service. Cheaper, way more variety, although not in the immediate gratification business unless your movie is one of the "Watch Immediately" streaming varieties... on Windows XP...
  • Reply 31 of 66
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

I don't buy this either. Are they losing revenue from another source because they offer their content on iTunes the day after a show aires? Are advertisers pulling out because Neilsen families are getting their constant from iTunes instead.I would wager that iTunes TV Shows biggest impact is subduing some piracy efforts due to it's convenience.

I feel that iTunes has actually increased viewership of television show by allowing the viewer to go back and catch up on missed episodes. Lost comes to mind. It was on for a couple of months before the buzz caught up to it. But being a serial most people were confused when entering it mid-story. ITunes allowed the viewers to catch up and probably had a great deal with turning it into a hit.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

It's estimated that Apple makes 5 cents per song. Jobs did say that they make a small profit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sorry, but you're wrong on that. Apple does make a slim margin, but they don't do it for free. Music and movies are a commodity business and the more they sell, the more margin they make.

ok thanks, i wasnt aware of that. i need to update the professor on that. Maybe he has some more insight.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

I dont know much about renting movies.. but which one is cheaper? renting from netflix or itunes or blockbuster? or would you not consider anything else other than itunes?

My Blockbuster charges the same for rentals as iTunes, minus the sales tax. Netflix is cheaper per month for moderate to heavy users but that isn't the only factor to consider. They have a great selection but good ol' American instant gratification just doesn't work with a mailed service. The iTunes model model will compete with cable company on-demand services first, Netflix last and brick-and-mortar stores somewhere in the middle and have the added bonus of being ported to iDevices. They each have there pros and cons but history has shown us that convenience tends rule when given a choice.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have you considered NetFlix? I find it a superior service. Cheaper, way more variety, although not in the immediate gratification business unless your movie is one of the "Watch Immediately" streaming varieties... on Windows XP...

I use it for TV show series that I can't get elsewhere. I may be canceling it soon as I just finished with Little Britain which leaves me with nothing else to consider renting. It has nothing to do with the iTunes movie rentals, just a coincidence.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

So you sat in on the discussions?

Funny!

I don't have to. It's been pretty well documented by people who do sit in and have said so interviews. The NYTimes, WSJ, and other journals have had articles about Apple's negotiations ovr the years.

We can also see by the complaints of what Apple demands from others. The frustration involved.

This isn't guessing.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

I'm talking numbers. If you look at all the Tv shows Apple has so far sold, and figure that NBC's portion is maybe 20%, you'll see that it isn't much. Apple probably takes about half, for expenses, and their own small profits. That gives NBC, since Apple started selling Tv shows, what, $25 million? That amounts to how much profit? What percentage of NBC's business it that? Very little.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:

As far as I know, most of the movies for rent are not for sale. At least, not yet.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Right now, Disney is doing deals to Apple's disadvantage, even though Jobs is on the board as the largest stockholder.

Disney is doing deals to Disney's advantage - there should be no consideration (by Jobs or anyone else at Disney) of whether Disney's deals benefit Apple or not.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Funny!

I don't have to. It's been pretty well documented by people who do sit in and have said so interviews. The NYTimes, WSJ, and other journals have had articles about Apple's negotiations ovr the years.

We can also see by the complaints of what Apple demands from others. The frustration involved.

This isn't guessing.

And yet, those same people stated emphatically that Sony and Universal would never be a part of Apple's rental movie service. It is guessing. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Disney is doing deals to Disney's advantage - there should be no consideration (by Jobs or anyone else at Disney) of whether Disney's deals benefit Apple or not.

That's exactly what I said, in effect.

I've described the board member responsibilities before.

When Jobs sits on Disney's board, he is required, by law, to work for their interests. If that conflicts with any other company he may be an executive of, or any other company on whose board he may sit, he must vacate one (or more) of those positions.

That doesn't mean that it will happen, but that's the legal theory.

It's also when we see board members from other companies on Apple's board, we shouldn't take that to mean that suddenly, that other company will stop doing everything that won't benefit Apple, or hurt it.

Of course, no one would appoint someone to the board if they or their company is hostile, or too much in competition. If that happens as a normal matter of business discourse, that member will leave, so that a true conflict of interest doesn't occur. If it's one issue, they may simply recuse themselves when issues surrounding that issue are discussed and decided upon.

Sufficient?