Next-gen Apple MacBook Pros to gain multi-touch trackpad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 198
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

hmm... im in quite a predicament right now.. i bought a macbook pro about 9 days ago because i needed it for school and i had sold my old macbook before i got my macbook pro. i am still within the 14 day return period and was wondering if i should return my macbook pro and wait computerless until they come out with the new one? i had opened the dvi-vga adaptor from the packaged seal and everything, would they even take macbook pro back even if i opened the packaged stuff it came with(dvi/vga adaptor, front row remote)?

Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing MB or MBP updates for at least 6 weeks. Apple hates to cloud the customer's judgement so they may hold off updated that line until the MacBook Air gets its fair share of the limelight.
  • Reply 42 of 198
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylan3d View Post

not a big difference between 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz.

True, but for most laptop users, battery life and heat problems are at least as important as CPU speed I think. A CPU running around 2.5-.6 GHz is plenty fast for almost anything for most of us (a good upgraded GPU is a different issue of course). Cranking up the clock is going to deplete the battery and generate considerably more heat, causing compromising problems. If you need faster, probably you're a Mac Pro candidate.
  • Reply 43 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

You've been here long enough, I'm sure, to have noticed that people really do say absurdly stupid things (the whole xMac business, being disappointed every Macworld because the announcements are underwhelming, and many more). It gets tiresome, does it not?

And as I said, I think I'm in a petty mood today.

Good thing you tell us.

Oh, and by the way, what is so new about this rumor of a MacBook Pro with touch capabilities? I think it was obvious the minute they presented the Air.
  • Reply 44 of 198
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagreatnate View Post

side question - does anyone have any advice about going with a matte or glossy screen? I'll be doing some minor work with final cut (probably express) for my church. it won't be anything super demanding as far as production quality is concerned.

thanks for your help.

Dear Nate,

you'd better rush to the Apple store right now as I have this feeling that the new MBP will be blessed with a glossy screen only

Amen,

mrO
  • Reply 45 of 198
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

a 15" LED MBP with a 2.6GHz Penryn, Multi-Touch Pad, Blu-Ray drive & GeForce 8700 would make me giddy

An external bluray drive would be even better.
  • Reply 46 of 198
    I hope Apple updates the Macbook Pro tommorow. Then I could change my order from the 2.6 with 7200RPM HDD to the new one and save around $200.
  • Reply 47 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

An external bluray drive would be even better.

Would a single FW-400 or dual-USB2.0 ports be enough to power a Blu-ray drive without plugging into an additional power source?
  • Reply 48 of 198
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capitanbuzo View Post

I hope Apple updates the Macbook Pro tommorow. Then I could change my order from the 2.6 with 7200RPM HDD to the new one and save around $200.

I am pretty sure the Macbook Pros will be updated tomorrow or next week or the week after. To that guy who said "6 weeks" you are an idiot, that is over a month. Read the article, it said "serveral WEEKS" not Months. It won't take them 6 weeks.
  • Reply 49 of 198
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    One unfortunate revelation from the Macbook Air was the absence of any sort of dock connector. I may be in the minority, but I use my machine in an environment where a proper dock/port replicator would come in very handy. It's not a deal breaker (or my last 3 portables wouldn't have been Apple machines) but it would be a nice feature to have.

Of course since no recent Apple portable has had this I never really expected it to show up.
  • Reply 50 of 198
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

I am pretty sure the Macbook Pros will be updated tomorrow or next week or the week after. To that guy who said "6 weeks" you are an idiot, that is over a month. Read the article, it said "serveral WEEKS" not Months. It won't take them 6 weeks.

I'm pretty sure 6 would count as "several".
  • Reply 51 of 198
    Quote:

Why exactly am I an idiot? Apparently I'm too much of an idiot to know why I am an idiot. Is it because I think Apple's marketing engine will want a new machine that caters to a niche market to have a full month release before being upstaged by other, more popular notebooks?
  • Reply 52 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

One unfortunate revelation from the Macbook Air was the absence of any sort of dock connector. I may be in the minority, but I use my machine in an environment where a proper dock/port replicator would come in very handy. It's not a deal breaker (or my last 3 portables wouldn't have been Apple machines) but it would be a nice feature to have.

Of course since no recent Apple portable has had this I never really expected it to show up.

The docking station is an odd beast. It has never really been a big seller. And the proprietary connection used to connect them is usually an unsightly port at the bottom of machines with a sliding door. I don't see Apple doing this.

Kensington showcased a nifty docking station at MacWorld for $130. It uses only one USB2.0 port to send video, audio and 5 additional USB ports. Everything except Ethernet, which can probbaly be handled by the USB-to-Ethernet adapter if you are using a MBA.
  • Reply 53 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joekewe View Post

I'm still dying for a 17" MBP with LED backlighting. C'mon Apple - go green! (with a brighter display and longer battery life).

Nobody seems to have actually manufactured a 17" LED backlit display yet for Apple to use, so you will have to wait a while longer.
  • Reply 54 of 198
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    It may not have been a big seller to consumers, but I work in an environment where just about everyone has a portable machine (Dell in this case) and they can basically go to any of the company's locations and be assured or docking their machine and with one connection, accessing a large LCD, keyboard, mouse, and ethernet. There's no door on the Dell machines nor is there one on the IBM/Lenovo machines also found here (used be some contractors and also supplied with port-replicators).

I'm happy they let me work with my Mac here, but I honestly have to say I'm jealous with regard to their dock setups (honestly, port-replicator is probably a more accurate term).

The device you linked to seems interesting but provides rather low resoution.
  • Reply 55 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally, I don't think we'll be seeing MB or MBP updates for at least 6 weeks. Apple hates to cloud the customer's judgement so they may hold off updated that line until the MacBook Air gets its fair share of the limelight.

It takes about 2 months for a new processor like the laptop class Penryns to ramp up production enough for Apple to announce a computer using them. Look at the 2 months from announcement the MacPro models took since Intel announced those chips. So I'd assume the "delay" for an updated MBP using new chips is not because of the MBAir but the usual production ramp. Thus we can expect new models in March. One can hope new graphics chips in there as well. SSD drive would be an option, but they do cost $1000 for a 64GB model, so don't expect that option to be cheap.
  • Reply 56 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

It takes about 2 months for a new processor like the laptop class Penryns to ramp up production enough for Apple to announce a computer using them. Look at the 2 months from announcement the MacPro models took since Intel announced those chips. So I'd assume the "delay" for an updated MBP using new chips is not because of the MBAir but the usual production ramp. Thus we can expect new models in March. One can hope new graphics chips in there as well. SSD drive would be an option, but they do cost $1000 for a 64GB model, so don't expect that option to be cheap.

2 months minus the two weeks since the Mac Pro came out is 6 weeks. You must be an idiot too.
  • Reply 57 of 198
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Hardware wise Is it the same trackpad is the question. Maybe it doesn't work in those older ones, maybe it will.. Who knows?

Minus the surface area of the new trackpad, it's the same hardware. Even the old PowerBook G4 trackpads recognize 3 fingers. It's all in the software, which is easily updated by Apple, if it were so willing.

The iPod Touch applications cost absolutely nothing to Apple to add to everyone else's iPod Touch, yet they charge $20. It's typical Apple-style in ripping off the consumer.
  • Reply 58 of 198
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Six weeks is a few weeks. It's not even a few months.
  • Reply 59 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2 months minus the two weeks since the Mac Pro came out is 6 weeks. You must be an idiot too.

Intel News Release about the 45nm new chips was Nov. 11. Apple introduces new Mac Pro that uses them Jan 8. They ship in a couple of days after. That's a lot closer to two months than 6 weeks. Care to take back the crack about being an idiot?
  • Reply 60 of 198
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPod Touch applications cost absolutely nothing to Apple to add to everyone else's iPod Touch, yet they charge $20. It's typical Apple-style in ripping off the consumer.

Well, there is something called Research and Devolpment....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Minus the surface area of the new trackpad, it's the same hardware. Even the old PowerBook G4 trackpads recognize 3 fingers. It's all in the software, which is easily updated by Apple, if it were so willing.

And I really bet there are some hardware differences between the G4 pads and the new ones, maybe not large ones but I bet there are.