Apple stock drop seen as latest buying opportunity

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keebler64 View Post

I'm relatively new to the stock market, and have been dreaming of owning my own AAPL since last October, and now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not buying it then... However, I don't exactly have a ton of cash lying around, nor do I know how to get it. I do not want to pass up this chance at what could potentially be the lowest point the stock will get in a very long while. Because I honestly believe it will reach an even higher zenith at a future point in time. What would be a recommendation to enter the stock market? With a company that I truly love. (I have 9 Apple products and use them all).

get in while you can. Apple has 18bil in the bank at this point, and thatb cash is going to grow rapidly over the coming 2 years.

Apple never does anything without a plan. They have a plan for that cash. Whatever it is, it will be big.

I have 200 shares at 80, another 100 or so across the 112, 125, 155, 190 price points. I have no fear. I am trying to buy more.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Just to be clear, you're kidding, right?

You do realize that before apple's announcement, the market has been consistently down? Since october, the dow is down two THOUSAND points.

And actually today the market is UP not down.

Do you realise you contradict yourself?

Just click here and you'll notice how Apple has been trading below the market. And that is a comparison with NASDAQ / other tech companies.

And yes, you're right, the market today went up, you can check that here by clicking over the AAPL graphic on the right, on the button - chose whatever you feel like - "Compare AAPL to:" and again you'll see that the market went up today but AAPL went down $10 during the day only to recover some $13 but not the $19,45 it had lost over night. From yesterday, APPL lost 16.57 or 10.65%. That's in one day. Since Dec 27th AAPL came down 30% or a third of its value. Got it?

So there has been a marked difference between AAPL and the rest of the tech market.

My interpretation is that, despite yesterday's FED's efforts to hold the market up - come on, it shows in the numbers, they don't lie - Apple's pessimistic conference call induced a mini-crash that dragged Google, Amazon and other tech favourites (curiously, it didn't drag Ebay!).

Okay, you can call Oppenheimer cautious or prudent but the truthful word is pessimistic in an already gloomy set. And you know what - he's right! It's gonna get even worse than this. I know that for a fact.

What I was venting about is the insanity of a company's element, moreso one as important its Financial Director, to bring down its own stock by overly prudent forecasts on a gloomy market. That behaviour can be quite good in a growing market but, on the other hand, quite suicidal in a falling market. What the heck, it's going to go down anyway, why does Oppenheimer need to give it a good push?! The man has even been awarded millions of shares last Christmas, come on!

Unless, of course, you financially manage your company like it's a grocery store, i.e. with your back blatantly turned to the stock market where you operate, meaning you simply ignore it and what's going on in there.

And that, my friends, has been Apple's posture throughout: I am a closed company (and closing more), I don't listen to or communicate with my clients (but I try to guess what they want ehrm I mean I produce the gadgets I like like any boy with a toy), I am smarter and holier than thou so I don't need to acknowledge anything but do my own thing.

Wake up Apple! You've been feeding off your loyal followers' (like me, since 1990) unconditional support who've been putting up with your whims but that's all passé now!
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Nah, he just sounds like someone who bought Apple at $180 and needs to vent. It's pretty remarkable that someone would lay the blame for the current market problems at Apple's doorstep given the prior huge meltdown in the financial services sector. Were people really buying into the crap that these problems would not necessarily spill over into the consumer market.

Apple's drop is partly a correction to the mindless inflation of its stock price (I got a laugh out of the prediction for AAPL to see $600 in a year's time) and, unfortunately, a portent of a larger correction across the markets, in general.

I actually disagree that Apple's choice to not initiate a stock buyback shows lack of confidence in the company. To the contrary, Apple is saying that they have full confidence in Apple's existing and future products to keep the company financially healthy.

Too many buybacks are nothing more than camouflage for poor decision-making in the executive office and boardroom. Sure, they provide cover for people who are short but, other than boosting EPS, they do not address a company's real problems and add no value to the company.

I bought AAPL @ $68!

Too many buybacks? What are you talking about? When did Apple buy back stock?

Apple doesn't budge and that's it. No splits, no buy backs, no iPhone 3G, no iPhone nano, no UMMac/Newton, no 700MHz auction bid, no 42" and 50" iMacs, no new Cinema Displays, no integration with EyeTV / TV Tuner in Apple TV (doesn't serve their interest!), no all-iTunes Plus, no same pricing for EU clients as for US, just the lame phrase "we have 50 weeks ahead". Well, this week is a good example of what not to do!
  • Reply 44 of 49
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

I bought AAPL @ $68!

Apple doesn't budge and that's it. No splits, no buy backs, no iPhone 3G, no iPhone nano, no UMMac/Newton, no 700MHz auction bid, no 42" and 50" iMacs, no new Cinema Displays, no integration with EyeTV / TV Tuner in Apple TV (doesn't serve their interest!), no all-iTunes Plus, no same pricing for EU clients as for US, just the lame phrase "we have 50 weeks ahead". Well, this week is a good example of what not to do!

I never said that Apple had a stock buyback program. I simply said that stock buyback programs do little to nothing to fix the actual problems a company might be having; the programs just prop up the stock price. What in your lengthy laundry list of complaints would be fixed if Apple started buying its stock back?

Another question I have is why are you still holding Apple stock given your dissatisfaction with so many of its corporate decisions and the fact that you could, and still can, get out at a profit?

Yes, Apple is down more than the market on average. There are a variety of reasons for this - it will be interesting to see what DELL and HPQ look like after they announce their results next month. Of course, a number of analysts, including some not always friendly to Apple, are now saying that AAPL is oversold. In other words, traders overreacted much like your bleating above.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I never said that Apple had a stock buyback program. I simply said that stock buyback programs do little to nothing to fix the actual problems a company might be having; the programs just prop up the stock price. What in your lengthy laundry list of complaints would be fixed if Apple started buying its stock back?

Another question I have is why are you still holding Apple stock given your dissatisfaction with so many of its corporate decisions and the fact that you could, and still can, get out at a profit?

Yes, Apple is down more than the market on average. There are a variety of reasons for this - it will be interesting to see what DELL and HPQ look like after they announce their results next month. Of course, a number of analysts, including some not always friendly to Apple, are now saying that AAPL is oversold. In other words, traders overreacted much like your bleating above.

I'm sure that, for their own sake, DELL or HP will not be realistic ehrm pessimistic in their next quarter forecast - who, but Apple, wants to be suicidal and shoot itself in the foot?

What I've been saying is not that they're entirely wrong, rather they should protect their own interests and by being a conservative company it hasn't helped them NOW. Being conservative for its own sake is being rigid and you cannot be rigid when you have your company in the stock market, you cannot ignore that factor, and you cannot be conservative/rigid now-a-days - that isn't smart.

Apple is faced with an awful lot of MS influenced journalists that keep putting out innocent articles with biased titles - which are the trend makers - and it does nothing about it-just keeps silent, it ignores it.

I love the company, drool for their products - would love to have them all just to have them even if I didn't need them - and I sympathise with Jobs and his views, still I see things clearly for what they are - consistently ignoring their amazingly loyal customers and being pervasively conservative is, albeit presumably a company's trait, an error of management they should seek urgently to resolve. They should have done that a couple of years ago!

The way for a publicly traded company to be in the market in terms of PR, 2 way communication with customers and forecasting is not being conservative but pro-active/assertive as they are with their products. Sadly it seems that duality is Jobs' personality trait, thus hard to change.

Anyway, thank you for your attention!

Lots of LOVE to all Apple followers (and Apple itself)
  • Reply 46 of 49
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

I bought AAPL @ $68!

No RECENT splits ? last one was 2/1 when it was around $79.00 per share back around April of '05

Skip
  • Reply 47 of 49
    While I note that yesterday Piper Jaffray cited Apple's plunging share price as a buying opportunity, anyone who bought the stock yesterday would have already lost money. Given the robustness of other sectors at this difficult time, I don't believe anyone is well advised to buy tech stocks right now. We need the market to stabilize off the back of interest rate cuts.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I'd hold off for a bit until AAPL stabilizes or starts showing an upward trend. As a stockbroker I know likes to say at times like this, "You don't grab a falling knife."
  • Reply 49 of 49
    auguraugur Posts: 34member
    Send me all your money, and I will make you rich. I promise. Really. I know something you don't. Trust me, this is the best thing that you can do with your money. If you don't you'll lose it.