First HDD-based MacBook Air reviews hit the wires

Comments

• Reply 101 of 133
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The question remains, what 64GB of SSDisc will benefit you?

Sure, everything HD based will be faster, but what can you do on the MBA that is, by nature, quite tasking on the harddisk?

Video editing? Not with 64GB of storage. Harddisk recording in Garageband? Unlikely, given the lack of input and speakers. And again, 64GB is not going to get you far (there are instruments that weigh in at 4GB alone).

So, if somewhat speedier Excel worksheets and faster boottimes are worth 999$ to you, fine, buy the SSD. If not, the harddisk is a more sensible choice. Btw, speeding up Excel can also be done by using 2004 instead of 2008... (xlr8yourmac.com).

I still fail to see the big market for the MBA. So far the only purpose this machine really fits is as a portable typewriter. Other than that, it barely does more things than even an iPod touch!

If you need a portable computer to go with you (as opposed to a typewriter), you will need to look at the MB or MBP.
  • Reply 102 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

The question remains, what 64GB of SSDisc will benefit you?

Sure, everything HD based will be faster, but what can you do on the MBA that is, by nature, quite tasking on the harddisk?

Video editing? Not with 64GB of storage. Harddisk recording in Garageband? Unlikely, given the lack of input and speakers. And again, 64GB is not going to get you far (there are instruments that weigh in at 4GB alone).

So, if somewhat speedier Excel worksheets and faster boottimes are worth 999$ to you, fine, buy the SSD. If not, the harddisk is a more sensible choice. Btw, speeding up Excel can also be done by using 2004 instead of 2008... (xlr8yourmac.com).

I still fail to see the big market for the MBA. So far the only purpose this machine really fits is as a portable typewriter. Other than that, it barely does more things than even an iPod touch!

If you need a portable computer to go with you (as opposed to a typewriter), you will need to look at the MB or MBP.

"Portable typewriter"? Hyperbole, much?
  • Reply 103 of 133
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I use a 15" MBP 2.33 as my primary "desktop" computer at the office. My stock 120gb HD has 51.63gb of space used. This includes Mac OS 10.5.1, the complete MS Office 2004, Adobe CS 3 Studio (Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, DreamWeaver and Bridge), iWork '08, iLife '06, Firefox and VLC, as well as all the other stock Apple supplied apps.

I have over 12gb of work files including high resolution graphics on the drive, and a copy of our entire industrial products manufacturing website. I have way more fonts than I need, but am too lazy to take off.

If I had an 80gb drive, I'd still have over 20gb of storage available. Granted, I don't use drive space for music on my laptop - I either use my iPod or internet radio for that. And I use a FW800 disk as a scratch disk for Photoshop when at the office.

But I hardly think the MBA was designed for graphic designers "on the move." I can't imagine why you'd need dramatically much more HD space than that. If a typical traveling office worker wanted to load it up with music and movies, he/she could easily put all the work files you needed on an 8gb USB flash drive and still have a good traveling laptop.

I think too many people characterize a product as good or bad by the limited viewpoint of what they would like to have most, rather than what would best fit their needs from the available products for sale. Sure, I'd like an 16-core dual 8GHz processor laptop that fits in my wallet and is as thin as a business card, that unfolds to a 30" virtual high-rez display that hovers with no desktop real estate used at all, but until someone sells one for under $1000 I'll have to pick from what I can get today.
  • Reply 104 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I use a 15" MBP 2.33 as my primary "desktop" computer at the office. My stock 120gb HD has 51.63gb of space used. This includes Mac OS 10.5.1, the complete MS Office 2004, Adobe CS 3 Studio (Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, DreamWeaver and Bridge), iWork '08, iLife '06, Firefox and VLC, as well as all the other stock Apple supplied apps.

I have over 12gb of work files including high resolution graphics on the drive, and a copy of our entire industrial products manufacturing website. I have way more fonts than I need, but am too lazy to take off.

If I had an 80gb drive, I'd still have over 20gb of storage available. Granted, I don't use drive space for music on my laptop - I either use my iPod or internet radio for that. And I use a FW800 disk as a scratch disk for Photoshop when at the office.

But I hardly think the MBA was designed for graphic designers "on the move." I can't imagine why you'd need dramatically much more HD space than that. If a typical traveling office worker wanted to load it up with music and movies, he/she could easily put all the work files you needed on an 8gb USB flash drive and still have a good traveling laptop.

I think too many people characterize a product as good or bad by the limited viewpoint of what they would like to have most, rather than what would best fit their needs from the available products for sale. Sure, I'd like an 16-core dual 8GHz processor laptop that fits in my wallet and is as thin as a business card, that unfolds to a 30" virtual high-rez display that hovers with no desktop real estate used at all, but until someone sells one for under $1000 I'll have to pick from what I can get today.

I know a couple of Mac uses still fine with there circa 2004 12" G4 PBs with 40GB 4200RM HDDS. One is 867MHz with 512MB RAM and the other 1GHz with 768MB RAM. Both sold for $1,799, just like the MBA, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure I hear people talk highly about there 12" PB on this board and not once have I head people complain about the slow HDD, its low capacity and high price.
  • Reply 105 of 133
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...its low capacity or high price.

Now with the SSD option you can have both!

(sorry, that was low hanging fruit)
  • Reply 106 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Now with the SSD option you can have both!

(sorry, that was low hanging fruit)

I should have used 'and' instead.
  • Reply 107 of 133
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    On a serious note, I didn't like the comparison of the Air to a UMPC mostly because it was a huge insult to the Air. I've yet to see anyone use a UMPC in any context regardless of its potential capabilities.

I also don't care for describing the Air as a portable typewriter. It may be an expensive machine with few ports but it's still quite capable.

I like the air despite anything negative I may have said in this thread. My primary problem though is people wanting to take the entire portable line in that direction which I think would be a mistake. It may be something that happens sometime in the future, but for now a lot of the features on the Air boost cost beyond a point where I see any value for the regular Macbook/Macbook Pro machines.
  • Reply 108 of 133
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

3. If Apple is billing the computer as wireless centric notebook, I find it confusing that MBA does not have Express 34 slot to put 3G cards in. Maybe there are USB-based 3G modems, but I haven't seen one.

There are. Most of the networks are really pushing them, here. Typically they cost about £10-£25/month, depending on the amount of data transfer you want.

Don't forget it also has bluetooth. Nearly every mobile phone will work as a modem.

Amorya
  • Reply 109 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

There are. Most of the networks are really pushing them, here. Typically they cost about £10-£25/month, depending on the amount of data transfer you want.

Don't forget it also has bluetooth. Nearly every mobile phone will work as a modem.

Amorya

You are the first member I have seen mention the mobile phone as modem via Bluetooth option!

And remember, this will save the use of the USB port, being wireless, as well as the purchase of special equipment, since most people carry a mobile as well.

I know for current U.S. T-Mobile subscribers, all one must do is add the Total Internet add-on for $19.99, which also grants one access to any U.S. T-Mobile Hotspot, plus some International Hotspots, and go through the basic setup process. Information to do this should be relatively easy to find when logged into my.t-mobile.com... If one has to call tech support, if one is using a PDA, one must go to the BlackBerry/PDA queue, and if one is using a general handset.

REALLY, all thats needed is the access code, which would be considered the dial up number through Internet Connect.

As for any other major U.S. carrier, I have no idea about prices or options, but I would assume that 3G data through a 3G ATT device would be possible, and EV-DO through a Verizon device.

T-Mobile is seeding in 3G handsets, but their 3G network is so behind because the U.S. government held onto the 1700 spectrum for so long. I know that they will initially only receive voice benefits, but the data should follow soon thereafter.

ALSO, one may benefit from using Bluetooth audio equipment as well.
  • Reply 110 of 133
    I wish people would stop referring to the air's screen as an "LED screen" that's just untrue.

It would be nice if it were some funky OLED thing.

Even the apple website makes it ambiguous by on one page (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/) saying "Yet it still has a 13.3-inch widescreen LED display" (WTF?) but on the design page linked from the previous text (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/design.html) correctly reffers to it as "... widescreen LED backlit MacBook Air display ..."
  • Reply 111 of 133
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenn_a_m View Post

I wish people would stop referring to the air's screen as an "LED screen" that's just untrue.

It would be nice if it were some funky OLED thing.

Even the apple website makes it ambiguous by on one page (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/) saying "Yet it still has a 13.3-inch widescreen LED display" (WTF?) but on the design page linked from the previous text (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/design.html) correctly reffers to it as "... widescreen LED backlit MacBook Air display ..."

The tech specs page lists it properly too.

I think most people here understand that it's the backlight that is LED.

OLED for that size isn't affordable yet that I'm aware. Sony's 11" OLED is $2500. Maybe a year from now.
  • Reply 112 of 133
    That's what I'm wanting, too. OLED is the new hotness for the future. I saw a video of a 70" or so OLED HDTV and it was thin. Very thin. And very bright.
  • Reply 113 of 133
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this is for a road warrior, we buy what makes sense, this makes sense. it's not supposed to be my desktop...i've loved my ibm X 12 inch screen, but i'd sure like the widescreen larger keyboard. who cares about the storage, we always backup at the office, and i try to do as much online, e.g. google docs, gmail etc. to me the keyboard is key, that is my interface, storage, hey i did many years with less than 40gb

macair is what you take when you are away from your desk or home, hey it's deductible

how many times have i put my "dvd and extra port" plank under my ibm X, never if i need dvd i download it, then trash, it's about being online, hey i also used go to my pc type software, they have it for the mac.

it's about ease of use, i paid whatever for my ibm and adjusting for inflation it was a wopper

hey this macair rocks....i'd get one yesterday but i'm not on the road as much.

it's a great selling point, bring that into a presentation, you get all kinds of contacts, just by the questions asked about this sexy thing.

SJ knows because he uses it and it works fine. remember the complaining about floppy drives.

this market is

bulk, weight, keyboard, battery life, brick size

hey if someone could tell me real life battery usage, like at 80% brightness, ssd max battery life, with my ibm x, and the extralarge battery, i'd get 7 hours with proper settings ....so many of my buddies had the ibm x that i didn't carry the brick, had one at home, office and major contact...(they'd hold it for me)

road warriors pack lite and as little bulk as possible

how many of you use a" warrior pack"
  • Reply 114 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

That's what I'm wanting, too. OLED is the new hotness for the future. I saw a video of a 70" or so OLED HDTV and it was thin. Very thin. And very bright.

And people complain about the costa already, even without the expensive SSD.
  • Reply 115 of 133
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The tech specs page lists it properly too.

I think most people here understand that it's the backlight that is LED.

OLED for that size isn't affordable yet that I'm aware. Sony's 11" OLED is $2500. Maybe a year from now.

It will be nice when having a laptop no longer means being stuck with a dimly-lit, low-contrast, colorless screen.
  • Reply 116 of 133
    jidojido Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

this is for a road warrior, we buy what makes sense, this makes sense. it's not supposed to be my desktop...i've loved my ibm X 12 inch screen, but i'd sure like the widescreen larger keyboard. who cares about the storage, we always backup at the office, and i try to do as much online, e.g. google docs, gmail etc. to me the keyboard is key, that is my interface, storage, hey i did many years with less than 40gb

macair is what you take when you are away from your desk or home, hey it's deductible

how many times have i put my "dvd and extra port" plank under my ibm X, never if i need dvd i download it, then trash, it's about being online, hey i also used go to my pc type software, they have it for the mac.

it's about ease of use, i paid whatever for my ibm and adjusting for inflation it was a wopper

hey this macair rocks....i'd get one yesterday but i'm not on the road as much.

it's a great selling point, bring that into a presentation, you get all kinds of contacts, just by the questions asked about this sexy thing.

SJ knows because he uses it and it works fine. remember the complaining about floppy drives.

this market is

bulk, weight, keyboard, battery life, brick size

hey if someone could tell me real life battery usage, like at 80% brightness, ssd max battery life, with my ibm x, and the extralarge battery, i'd get 7 hours with proper settings ....so many of my buddies had the ibm x that i didn't carry the brick, had one at home, office and major contact...(they'd hold it for me)

road warriors pack lite and as little bulk as possible

how many of you use a" warrior pack"

So the Macbook Air was taylor-made to meet SJ's on the road needs, is it?

And you are buying it?
  • Reply 117 of 133
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    any good ceo would personally test the products, he tested iTV so why not such an important product as the mac air...do you think it went out without his detailed "touch"??

its not meant to be a primary computer just like my ibm x ($3200 plus four bricks) wasn't my primary computer, but it was a necessary complement to my business travel....times are changing and SJ is ahead of the curve.....windows makes for continuation of old out of date technology

network...wireless...BT...online is now. at that price point its a steal....i bet many road warriors are looking for the ssd specs, and battery life, i want to look at that led screen

will i buy it...as i said in the post I worked hard to stay off the "warrior" path, now my needs have changed my company now has all the things i accessed with my ibm now online....security is better and a lost laptop doesn't kill some project or release seccrets and personal info like so many other "lost or stolen laptops" so now all my stuff is online. i don't travel as much (thank you...my family thanksyou) my primary now is a macbook, i'm looking for an iMac in the march range. google, ajax and network servers have solved many company problems. when the mac air was done i think the google people saw it and said.....see this google development of online access rocks
  • Reply 118 of 133
    This review was on the 80GB HDD version, which is not really the revolutionary concept here.

We all know that SSD are the wave of the future. The 64GB SSD is what I'm really interested in.

We all also know that Apple likes to be ahead of the times. By introducing the slimmest notebook on the market, they're achieving their goal. G2 of the Macbook Air is not even going to offer an HDD option. The only reason they offered an 80GB HDD model was to make the Macbook Air more practical and accessible in the market today. The omission of a few features is meant to change our minds on what a notebook should be, and it's working. It is also filling a gap between the MB and the MBP, successfully. There are three lines of desktops, there should be at least three lines of MBs to boot.

As a student, no, this computer is not on my wish list. I'm buying an iMac instead. In a few years, with .mac screen sharing options, G2 of the Macbook Air might be the option for me.

Right now, using a 15" PowerBook G4 with an 80G HD has proved a fairly useful home/ portable computer. If I wanted one computer for all of my uses, I'd upgrade to a MBP or a tricked-out MB. However, many consumers will have a home/ office computer for the large apps, and a notebook for a portable accessory. No, they're not going to have as much storage. No, they're not going to need a lot of ports and drives. But damn, they're going to boot up in seconds, weigh almost nothing, and get you working right away.

Let's remember the progressive company we're talking about here.
  • Reply 119 of 133
    Since the announcement of the MBA the number of notebooks with 64GB SSDs has increased. We've also seen a drop in price from the OEMs. While most 64GB SSDs are well above the upgrade price in the MBA, some OEMs are offering at lower prices. I have been wondering how it could be so much lower. WE know Apple doesn't usually sell their hardware for cheap but neither do the OEMs when it comes to their premium machines. In fact, sense the switch to Intel Apple has been lower in many instances. I just realized that the other OEMs are replacing their 2.5" HDDs with 2.5" SSDs, while the MBA will need to replace with a 1.8" SSD. How much more does the size reduction cost?
  • Reply 120 of 133
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    It's definitely a niche product.

I think (assuming it ever happens) that after the next solid refresh of the MBA it will be a much more appealing product: more storage, better battery life.

I'm disappointed that it's impossible to import music from another computer.