Microsoft makes $44.6B bid for Yahoo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Troll alert! Troll alert!

I think it's funny when people come to Apple enthusiast sites then complain that the people are all Apple enthusiasts!

I think it's particularly pathetic that some people think that you need to be a Microsoft basher in order to be called an Apple enthusiast!

Even the Apple online store sells and features Microsoft Office2008 on its front page.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

So NOW Microsloth is concerned about "a credible alternative" in the software market?! Damn, but they didn't seem so "concerned" when they were 99.9% of the OS market! Fscking hypocrites.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BYODKjiM View Post

"Today, the market is increasingly dominated by one player who is consolidating its dominance through acquisition," he added.

Balmer doesn't see the irony in that statement, or does he just have a mental disorder?

Actually it's a "normal," i.e., highly common psychological mechanism: when we criticize others for having terrible qualities we use an internal frame of reference, i.e., our own worst qualities -- or our fears about our own worst potentials -- (whether we accept having them or not) and then simply project those onto those we criticize.

Very prevalent in political attacks, part of why couples have so much trouble understanding each other and totally on display in Ballmer's ironically true statement.

Watch people accuse each other in these arenas with this in mind and you'll see people most comfortable and adamant about attacking each other for things that are actually at least as true about themselves (or that they fear may be true about themselves), if not much, much moreso

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

This really is a very sad day.

I was always quite fond of yahoo.

Farewell old friend

Not so fast. Politicians (and not just in the US) are going to want to grandstand on this one for quite awhile, the courts may become involved, the tender has to be accepted and then even beginning to mesh the corp cultures will take lots of time. Years possibly.

While both Yahoo and MS will be forced to spin their strategic wheels, caught between uncertainty and regulations which prevent them from co-operating too closely before the deal's done. Which may be best news Google could want here..... ...so your old friend will not only be there, it'll be constrained from changing much.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by always13 View Post

If yahoo is bought out by Microsoft, though i'd think the government would have issues with this... it's only a matter of time before they make Flickr a mess, just as they've made Hotmail into crap... grrr

Have you been USING Hotmail for the last few years? It was my original account, and kept for my non-personal address, partly because of all the subs/accounts tied to it, and to keep an eye on the competition once I switched to GMail. (I also have Yahoo account for a user group and 'cos the calendar txts my cell phone twice before an appt.

By any measure HotMail has improved from terrible to at least OK since becoming part of the Live stable. For one thing they've vastly improved spam filtering, my biggest complaint. And as they say, much, much more. PS: After long experience with all three, I'm still sticking with GMail.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Microsoft + Yahoo = Microhoo... I like it!

Better than Yahsoft......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

The government? What government? Our administration is more concerned with oil and war profits. They don't give a damn about anti-trust, corporate abuse, home-loan scams, or anything else as long as they continue to get richer. Sorry to be blunt but I haven't seen anything being fixed anywhere in the world to do with monopolies. In fact last time I checked, we are going backwards with AT&T buying back the empire they lost when the government DID actually care.

No, only you, in your articulate, balanced, studied way care.

The Justice Dept., SEC, etc., etc., just play video games all day, and all the emergency measures to respond to the subprime mess aren't taking place.

And the Euro-crats aren't constantly nibbling at MS's ankles (and increasingly at Apple's) -- for all the good gov't getting involved in business matters generally does. (Would you like to see Apple forced to divest themselves of iTunes because the link to iPods constitutes "restraint of trade"??)

Nor are you sorry to be blunt (though I'm sorry you're so passionate about being so ill-formed) -- rather, you get off on fulminating and regurgitating lefty talking points.

PS: "Governments" don't CARE. They are abstract things, not people. Which is why it's tragically misplaced to place one's hope for any kind of salvation on them, because the love will never be returned. Big Communist gov't's don't love their people a bit more than the capitalist kind. And not to burst anyone's bubble here, but Apple, Inc. as Apple, Inc. doesn't love you either. Sorry, kids.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Microsoft are like the anti-Midas, things turn to poop instead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Why buy a company when you can steal their ideas and sell them as your own "innovation" for free. You won't have any problem finding a history of that with Microsoft ... and they're good at it!

As others have also said, they're also good at buying companies and running them into the ground. Yahoo is toast if Microsoft gets their hands on them.

PMJOE is closer here. It's probably more relevant to ask what Microsoft HAS contributed to computing rather than tracing the fate of all their acquisitions ('tho DOS -- which begat Windows which begat Mr. Softee -- was an acquisition).

MS did not invent Disk Operating Systems, word processing, spread sheets, presentation software, databases, graphical user interfaces, mice, internet browsing, internet search, eMail, computer gaming, server OS's, nor much else it sells. Rather, through acquisitions, appropriation of ideas, aggressive marketing and then monopolistic practices, they "muskled' their way into all of them, and using brilliant folks (MS tries to hire the best) building on the deeply flawed foundations of Windows and IE, have produced a series of "barely good enough" improvements and evolution to stay there, with the fact that competitors have to write to the API's MS provides them keeping their innovation in check.

That's why Jobs' "Redmond, start your copiers!" quote still resonates. It has that gut level ring of truth.
    Note: but neither did Apple invent any of those things for that matter...... ..and Apple's also bought companies which then just ceased to exist and if their tech ever saw the light of day again, it was well-masked, and have done a little shameless xeroxing from their own ISV's (and from Xerox for that matter, in a big way!). But I leave it to the rest of you to define what the differences and similarities are from there.......
  • Reply 43 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

too late - it shot up 60% already.

It's still worth less than what I paid for it some time ago. With a cash and stock trade from MSFT, I'll just own more junk stock. \
  • Reply 44 of 101
    Just cancelled my.yahoo.com and switched to iGoogle, even though at the current time my.yahoo.com is better. I agree with the others here about Hotmail. I was one of the first to use Hotmail and all went to crap after the M$ acquisition of Hotmail. Hopefully this will empower Google to get off their butts and speed up their development on their services! Yes, a very sad day indeed. We love and will miss you Yahoo, rest in peace.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

PMJOE is closer here. It's probably more relevant to ask what Microsoft HAS contributed to computing rather than tracing the fate of all their acquisitions ('tho DOS -- which begat Windows which begat Mr. Softee -- was an acquisition).

MS did not invent Disk Operating Systems, word processing, spread sheets, presentation software, databases, graphical user interfaces, mice, internet browsing, internet search, eMail, computer gaming, server OS's, nor much else it sells. Rather, through acquisitions, appropriation of ideas, aggressive marketing and then monopolistic practices, they "muskled' their way into all of them, and using brilliant folks (MS tries to hire the best) building on the deeply flawed foundations of Windows and IE, have produced a series of "barely good enough" improvements and evolution to stay there, with the fact that competitors have to write to the API's MS provides them keeping their innovation in check.

You're really making this too complex. The only significant thing Microsoft has "contributed" to computing is the concept of licensing an operating system to a variety of computer manufacturers. Everything else is water under the bridge.

I mean they had some good versions of BASIC in the 70's and 80's to their credit, but they didn't invent BASIC either.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwharff View Post

Just cancelled my.yahoo.com and switched to iGoogle, even though at the current time my.yahoo.com is better. I agree with the others here about Hotmail. I was one of the first to use Hotmail and all went to crap after the M$ acquisition of Hotmail. Hopefully this will empower Google to get off their butts and speed up their development on their services! Yes, a very sad day indeed. We love and will miss you Yahoo, rest in peace.

You realize it hasn't been finalized?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

Troll alert! Troll alert!

I think it's funny when people come to Apple enthusiast sites then complain that the people are all Apple enthusiasts!

Its beyond being a Apple enthusiast though. I own a MBP and an iPod Nano. But I don't blindly think anything done by MS is evil and is going to be turned to crap and that everything done by Apple is the most awesomest thing ever. I'm calling out those people.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Initially I thought this was bad and I don't like the idea of Microsoft getting any bigger, but they won't even put a nick in the side of Google. I have to say Google has really impressed me lately. I now use Google for my primary e-mail and homepage not to mention 50 million searches a day. Yahoo quite simply blows IME. Google has become a part of society in an amazing way. It literally has become a verb. This is the exact same thing that McDonalds did back in the day- or arguably what Coke did. All fast food became "McDonalds", all pop became "Coke". Internet searching has become "Googling". Microsoft is making a bad move here pouring that much cash into something that is not going to be able to beat Google. Its like someone trying to buy Burger King to beat McDonalds- just not possible.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    Right now Google is king. And who are Google's closest competitors? Yahoo, Microsoft, and (believe it or not) Apple. It's all about this whole migration towards the "Web OS." Google and other websites are replacing things we typically do on our PCs and moving it to the web. Think Google Docs and Spreadsheets. Sure they're still rudimentry right now but as technology improves, these web apps will start to match the quality of the native apps on our PCs. From this, you can start to see a future where a "computer" becomes only a monitor with a web-connection and all your apps are resting somewhere out in cyberspace. Be it 10 years or 30 years away, this is the future of our computing, and unless Microsoft and Apple get in to the game, they will be left behind, still developing more expensive desktop OSes.

Yahoo is MS's way of getting into that game.

I chuckle, too, because Yahoo is to Google as Microsoft is to Apple. I mean it. First go to yahoo.com. Look at that mess!!! Ads, clutter, business. Now go to Google. Nice and organized. No intrusive ads, a list of some links on top... otherwise, it's just a company logo and a search bar. The same goes, pretty much, for all of their sites. Ads are very subtle and non-intrusive.

Microsoft, believe it or not, is actually being smart for securing their future in this realm. Like Windows, however, I fear bad implementation, dirtiness, security issues, and LOTS OF ADS.

Apple, too, has begun their WebOS very subtly as, believe it or not, dotMac. However, right now, as subscribers know all too well, it is terribly overpriced for its capabilities, which are few. Apple should work on transforming dotMac to have the option of becoming a user-friendly web-portal which actually has features that make it worth its cost. Widgets on the web... it's the next OS X frontier.

-Clive
  • Reply 49 of 101
    I still dont see why MSFT is so hell bent on squashing Google, they dont really compete.

Is just like a psychosis that Microsoft has," regarldess of how much money we lose in the process we're going to kill Google." WHY?????
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

You realize it hasn't been finalized?

Its beyond being a Apple enthusiast though. I own a MBP and an iPod Nano. But I don't blindly think anything done by MS is evil and is going to be turned to crap and that everything done by Apple is the most awesomest thing ever. I'm calling out those people.

Thank goodness it isn't finalized. Let's hope for some reason it doesn't go through. BTW, did you just say "awesomest"?
  • Reply 51 of 101
    The thing that most irritates me about Microsoft is that they continually use the acquisition of new companies as a means to evolve and grow their business. Instead, maybe they should look inward and improve their existing products.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

FWIW, here is one person's view on the subject.

Like you I wonder how this will turn out and if (how?) this affects Apple's relationship with Google.

That's for the link but that's not actually what I meant.

Reading it again, my ? wasn't very clear.

By "succeeding" I didn't mean, will the merger succeed. I meant, what are the chances that this proposed hostile take-over will actually happen.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Quote:

Thank you. There are way too many zealots here and it makes civilized discussions so difficult. Just the other day, I was giving my reasons for why I thought Windows 7 would be a better (and speedier) than average release, saying that I am going to give MS the benefit of the doubt this time around... and I got SLAMMED from, like, six different people, calling me a "Windows Fanboy" and a "troll!!!" Imagine! Me, a guy who preached the ways of the mac since the '90s when the Mac wasn't cool - nor evern really a great computer, looking back - being a Windows Fanboy.

Sure I also built a PC for general hacking and occasional gaming (xMac, Apple, xMac!) but my allegiance is to the Mac. I'm here because I like to discuss mac-related news and issues in technology... but sometimes the Zealots really frusterate me.

Glad there are people who understand.

-Clive
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:

Hotmail still exists and a lot of people use it.

Xbox has made a profit, it isn't a dismal failure. You forgot about IE and a few others as well.

I use Hotmail, but only because it is free and works with my mail programs for free. I also use Yahoo and AOL, but only Hotmail and AOL for my email programs because Yahoo charges a stinking fee. Hotmail does totally stink, though.

The Xbox gets some credit, but not a lot. It is not the biggest money maker in the world, but it does alright. But again, it comes through bleeding your wallet through "services."

IE on the other hand did not get to where it is today because it is such a great browser or because it has been managed so well, but because it came preinstalled on all of the Windows computers, which have been 90+% of the computing markets for over a decade. It is simple math and no, IE does not count as a success. Even IE 7 lacks true open standards support.

Microsoft Office 2007 for windows is an excellent piece of software, but it has its issues too. I just took a class on it and was surprised how hard it is to use effectively unless you take a class on it.

With Windows 95 and 98, and even XP, Microsoft made a pretty good OS. the 95 and 98 versions were better than any other at the time. That changed with OS X though. And Windows quality has improved, but the quality of Mac OS just highlights the flaws in MS products that much more.

Microsoft buying Yahoo sounds like a nightmare. Microsoft has tyrannical business practices and makes it hard to just simply get things done. They always want to be sure your money is streaming out of your pockets toward them. No purchase and your done. no sir, you license away and subscribe and rent.

In recent years it has come to light that Microsoft is not a very well managed company. they do well based on economies of scale and that is about it. Companies like Apple, Google and IBM run circles around Microsoft management wise. And Yahoo is no better. Yahoosoft sounds like a nightmare. Take two woefully mismanaged companies and merge them. yeah, that sounds good. Not only that, but many of the things that users have come to know as normal workings of internet life will be thrashed with MS business strategies.

MS needs to focus. they are trying to copy Google and they aren't meant to run that way. Google is Google and they have the infrastructure to be what they are. Microsoft is an OS and Office software company at heart and they are having their struggles even there. there venture into online search seems halfhearted and only whatever they need to do in order to make surre they make some money out of it. the online advetising they have implemented is a nightmare. Every time you go to a website that uses it, don't tell me you don't get incredibly annoyed by mousing over a word and having a long "Live" animation come up trying to get you to click on it for some "relevant search."

Microsoft and yahoo sounds so bad. I may even have to close my Yahoo account. some may think that sounds crazy, but it is for the same reasons I don't use GMail. I don't trust them. At least with GMail, google tells you they are looking at your stuff and can use the info to further their own interests.

In any case, Yahoo is at least showing a potential upswing, while Microsofts attempt at a buyout only serves to highlight how badly managed they are, taking on tremendous debt to do the deal that would probably not benefit either company.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    citycity Posts: 522member
    It?s a matter of either innovation or controlling and stifling a market and then exploiting the resulting monopoly. Long term I vote for the innovations that create a little better and more exciting life for all of us. Sort term, show me the money!
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

Initially I thought this was bad and I don't like the idea of Microsoft getting any bigger, but they won't even put a nick in the side of Google. I have to say Google has really impressed me lately. I now use Google for my primary e-mail and homepage not to mention 50 million searches a day. Yahoo quite simply blows IME. Google has become a part of society in an amazing way. It literally has become a verb. This is the exact same thing that McDonalds did back in the day- or arguably what Coke did. All fast food became "McDonalds", all pop became "Coke". Internet searching has become "Googling". Microsoft is making a bad move here pouring that much cash into something that is not going to be able to beat Google. Its like someone trying to buy Burger King to beat McDonalds- just not possible.

That has got to be the best, most concise and well put thought on the subject I have heard or can be said. Very, very well put. Especially the Burger King analogy. that about hits the nail on the head.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Microsoft + Yahoo = Microhoo... I like it!

"Yacrosoft?"
  • Reply 58 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I chuckle, too, because Yahoo is to Google as Microsoft is to Apple. I mean it. First go to yahoo.com. Look at that mess!!! Ads, clutter, business. Now go to Google. Nice and organized. No intrusive ads, a list of some links on top... otherwise, it's just a company logo and a search bar. The same goes, pretty much, for all of their sites. Ads are very subtle and non-intrusive.

-Clive

This is interesting- I read a few posts earlier where people said essentially the same thing- and I thought the exact same thing. Yahoo just feels cluttered and complex. It feels like there is a learning curve just to use it- just like Windows. If I hadn't grown up on Windows I would have no idea what I'm doing - it just isn't "intuitive" I suppose. Google struck me with its simplicity and ease of use. I have never used OSX but I am buying a Mac soon. I don't know if OSX has that sort of clean easy to use Google feel but I hope it does. I switched to Google from AOL a few months ago (Now I just use Firefox with Igoogle homepage/email etc...) I have to say I am incredibly impressed with what Google has done. Microsoft has a helluva task in front of them if they are going to beat Google on this one.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

I still dont see why MSFT is so hell bent on squashing Google, they dont really compete.

Is just like a psychosis that Microsoft has," regarldess of how much money we lose in the process we're going to kill Google." WHY?????

because google is going after microsoft traditions like word and such with online apps that are browser and OS independent.
  • Reply 60 of 101
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

That's for the link but that's not actually what I meant.

Reading it again, my ? wasn't very clear.

By "succeeding" I didn't mean, will the merger succeed. I meant, what are the chances that this proposed hostile take-over will actually happen.

I don't have any links but when I heard the news this morning on CNBC, the commentators called it a Murdock bid. They implied that the bid was so high it would have to be accepted. Much in the way Murdock got the WSJ.

I guess there are anti-trust issues that could arise, but I've not heard of any.