I have been reevaluating what I think future iPhones need most of all

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    agreed. i'm pretty excited to see what the SDK churns out. there are some programs i'd really like to have.

will the SDK allow developers to make, say, firefox mobile or opera mobile, that would allow them to have flash work and download files to the iPhone? i don't know much about the SDK.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well it's not my only driving force, but I'll admit it did bring this screen issue first to my attention. Still the best phone on the market in my opinion, I just want to make it better.

Ireland, remember when I said in another post there were 29 people that I personally demonstrated the iPhone to (compared to their cell and others) and they bought an iPhone within a week?

Well, as of last night, its now 30. As most have done, he didn't wait a few days, he went out and bought it that night. Since he already has an AT&T cell, the phone more or less sells itself. Its day one, just left his place and syncing his computer to it, showing ways to organize the photos, easily attach them to contacts, and customize the home screen, he's already more than happy with it. "I'm going back to the store and tell them to give you a referral bonus". I asked what was he talking about.

He showed me his receipt which said to the effect refer someone to AT&T (assuming the service and iPhone) and get $125. Although some of the 30 were already AT&T users, that would stand at $3,750, or there about, for how much in referrals I might have had from AT&T / Apple. It was a nice gesture but I personally dislike most company based referrals, which have more clauses and fine print than anything - which is even if you get anything. Besides, I can guess that only applies to non-AT&T cell users that switch over to AT&T and the iPhone, perhaps nothing for current AT&T users that buy an iPhone. I don't know.

However, going forward, I think since I'm having so much fun sharing and "selling" the iPhone with others, for free, it might be worth looking into their referral program a bit more. Maybe Apple and AT&T are the exception - and actually live up to what they say about a referral program.

Just FYI.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Ireland, remember when I said in another post there were 29 people that I personally demonstrated the iPhone to (compared to their cell and others) and they bought an iPhone within a week?

Well, as of last night, its now 30.

Good for you.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    damn

30 people. That's pretty impressive.

Sadly for me I'm going to have to go Blackberry for now since my company expenses the monthly dues and the iPhone doesn't have the proper exchange support yet. But hopefully a 3G iPhone with excellent Exchange support will be my next phone.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what about that "gps add on" that showed it's face a few months back, i quess it's rumor but it might work since most don't use gps as much as phone, internet, calendar, address book

TomTom is working on a GPS application for the iPhone. There are external BT GPS units about 1cmx1cmx2cm in size, in the wild, for Palm devices. It's not much of a jump to see that as an iPhone application that only pays the BT power-draw price to add GPS rx ability. You don't even need to attach it to the phone, but if you could then you don't even have BT power draw to deal with.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    hmurchison, it seems the 3G iPhone will come out around the time Exchange support is fully enabled or at least in the works. When you get the iPhone make sure to post here. I’ll officially welcome you into the iPhone club, hehe.

As for the referrals, before speaking to someone "higher" than a local store manager, I found a link to the AT&T "Refer a Friend" program at https://referral.wireless.att.com/public/faq.do. As the 30th person and I only glanced at the store receipt the website made it relatively clear with the phrase, "earn up to $125 per year". Those that refer new customers to AT&T get a $25 gift card, as well as the one that just signed up. That must be what the receipt was more or less talking about. It seems relatively straight forward. Some might actually do it. I won’t.

Reading through their FAQ it seems just like most of the other referral programs that I refuse to waste my time with. They want you to basically sign up, send friends emails with links on them, and when that friend does so and later activates a certain type of service (or higher priced one) within 30 days both of you get the suggested benefits. Ahem - sure, in theory.

In practice, coming from someone who's already helped to sell 30 iPhones, personally, $25 isn't worth my time, or the time of the one I'm demonstrating the iPhone to. I should clarify - not when that $25 is speaking with them in person, when they're now heavily considering buying one, then I have to send them an email, have them click a link from that, follow to that website and enter rather personal information, sign up a new service to AT&T (because - note, they must not currently have AT&T), and wait some 30 days later to which that might qualify for a referral.

What I do, on the other hand, is take the time and interest to really listen to them and see what they want a new cell phone to do. I then compare what they currently have to the iPhone I’m using, letting them actually use it to do things they would normally be using it for. I then let them know about other smartphones and recommend they visit related stores to try the other ones out, research more online, then decide. Most buy the iPhone.

This month I'll contact "higher ups" at AT&T and see if they can start negotiating an exception for referrals in my case. For example, the above stated link is offical and did work, past tense. Unsure when it will work again but, as usual, this is another reason why I don't depend on some company's website to help them refer people.

Btw, it seems with the new 16GB iPhone a 3G 8 GB iPhone would likely be seen as a step down. Most of us would likely accept a 3G 16GB iPhone. That would rock! More memory and features? Ok, that would rock more!
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

TomTom is working on a GPS application for the iPhone. There are external BT GPS units about 1cmx1cmx2cm in size, in the wild, for Palm devices. It's not much of a jump to see that as an iPhone application that only pays the BT power-draw price to add GPS rx ability. You don't even need to attach it to the phone, but if you could then you don't even have BT power draw to deal with.

Nokia has a pretty handy GPS device: LD-4W. It will run about 11 hours on a single charge and easily fits in your coat pocket. If Apple would program addition profiles in BT, this would open up a world of possibilities. A2DP would be a nice feature considering the iPhone is more iPod than phone. A2DP has been pretty much standard on Nokia and SE phones for about a year. Why Apple overlooked this one basic function is beyond reason.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    I got a 16gig on Friday. There is only one thing any iPod REALLY needs: a decent set of earphones. Maybe my ears are an oddity, but no set of white, apple earphones has ever worked for me.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

I got a 16gig on Friday. There is only one thing any iPod REALLY needs: a decent set of earphones. Maybe my ears are an oddity, but no set of white, apple earphones has ever worked for me.

Hey. If money is no object, try a pair of Shure se530c's. They are very nice.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hey. If money is no object, try a pair of Shure se530c's. They are very nice.

I have a pair of Shures (albeit, a more middle of the line pair because price was an object) and love them. I also like the little remote thing on the pair that came with my iPhone, and wish that apple would not ignore such a crucial part of the user experience when it comes to their line of personal music players. I have yet to meet anyone who has anything nicer than "I don't mind them" when the topic comes up.

I guess I will have to buy an adapter and use the Shures from time to time. It just drives me nuts when I am walking to work in the AM now with the standard 'phones in.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

I have a pair of Shures (albeit, a more middle of the line pair because price was an object) and love them. I also like the little remote thing on the pair that came with my iPhone, and wish that apple would not ignore such a crucial part of the user experience when it comes to their line of personal music players. I have yet to meet anyone who has anything nicer than "I don't mind them" when the topic comes up.

I guess I will have to buy an adapter and use the Shures from time to time. It just drives me nuts when I am walking to work in the AM now with the standard 'phones in.

Hey my friend, I have a solution for you. Shure makes an adapter for your iPhone. It has a mic and and headphone adapter so you can use any headphone with it. It has controls for the iPhone as well. Take a look here:

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P..._phone_adapter

Cheers