iPhone's share of US smartphone market rises to 28 percent

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

If you want an unlocked iPhone, you can get one in France. It is illegal to have locked phones in France.

No, you cannot, and no, it's not. You're simply wrong.

It is illegal in France to tie a phone exclusively to only one carrier. All carriers must provide an alternative option, though they may do so at a premium. Apple sells nearly all of its phones in France fully locked to Orange.

Apple also sells a fraction of the iPhones sold in France (reportedly as much as 20%), at a huge markup (649 Euros), that will work with any French provider. These phones are still locked to French networks exclusively and cannot be used with SIM cards from other countries. They are not unlocked phones.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, it's not. You're simply wrong.

It is illegal to tie a phone to only one carrier. Apple sells nearly all of its phones in France fully locked to Orange.

Apple also sells a fraction of the iPhones sold in France (reportedly as much as 20%), at a huge markup (649 Euros), that will work with any French provider. These phones are still locked to French networks exclusively and cannot be used with SIM cards from other countries. They are not unlocked phones.

Uhhhh.... No, I don't think I am wrong. French stores are selling unlocked phones. You can call Orange and ask for the nearest location to purchase an UNLOCKED phone and they will sell you one. They will also offer you an Orange contract but in the end you have the option to purchase either or.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/17/o...one-in-france/

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...in_france.html

iLounge orignally reported that when the French phones were utilized on another network there were some cmpatibility issues. These were related to the iPhone software. Intitially there were compatibility files for only 4 countries (Germany, France, UK, US). However, Orange reported that these compatibility issues would be resolved with an upgrade, and has apparently done so.

Incidentally iWorld, a third party application, provided compatibility for iPhones that had been hacked.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:

Uhhhh.... No, I don't think I am wrong. French stores are selling unlocked phones. You can call Orange and ask for the nearest location to purchase an UNLOCKED phone and they will sell you one. They will also offer you an Orange contract but in the end you have the option to purchase either or.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/17/o...one-in-france/

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...in_france.html

iLounge orignally reported that when the French phones were utilized on another network there were some cmpatibility issues. These were related to the iPhone software. Intitially there were compatibility files for only 4 countries (Germany, France, UK, US). However, Orange reported that these compatibility issues would be resolved with an upgrade, and has apparently done so.

Incidentally iWorld, a third party application, provided compatibility for iPhones that had been hacked.

Ok. I was wrong. The iPhones are not "country locked". I had read an initial report that stated otherwise. However, it does seem like individually unlocked phones work better than the current unlocked phones from Orange (649 Euro).
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:

Ok. I was wrong. The iPhones are not "country locked". I had read an initial report that stated otherwise. However, it does seem like individually unlocked phones work better than the current unlocked phones from Orange (649 Euro).

No worries dude. 650 Euro is better than the 999 Euor they were charging in Germany. If you are interested in a 8 gig unlocked, let me know. I might be able to hook you up

Cheers
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:

No worries dude. 650 Euro is better than the 999 Euor they were charging in Germany. If you are interested in a 8 gig unlocked, let me know. I might be able to hook you up

Cheers

If I want, I can get one here in HK for US$450, fully unlocked with firmware 1.1.3 with an agreement to upgrade when a new unlocked firmware is released.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    Quote:

If I want, I can get one here in HK for US$450, fully unlocked with firmware 1.1.3 with an agreement to upgrade when a new unlocked firmware is released.

If you can get a 16 gig for the same price I may have to send you $ 450.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

If you want an unlocked iPhone, you can get one in France. It is illegal to have locked phones in France. Other countries have variations on this law. For example here in Finland the iPhone is not allow if it bundled with a contract. Finnish law stipulates that all phones bundled with a contract have to be 3G enabled. One of the Finnish operators was approached by Apple but they turned Apple down due to the lack of 3G in the iPhone, as well as Finnish law.

So I can grab one of those and stick my TMobile SIM card in it and have it work till when...the next update? I don't want to pay that kind of money and get it bricked by Apple. If they want my money they have to give me a legitimate choice. Otherwise I'll stick to TMobile and Blackberry.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

So I can grab one of those and stick my TMobile SIM card in it and have it work till when...the next update? I don't want to pay that kind of money and get it bricked by Apple. If they want my money they have to give me a legitimate choice. Otherwise I'll stick to TMobile and Blackberry.

You did not read the links, or some of the recent posts. They are legal. They are official iPhones from Orange that have to be unlocked or can be locked to Orange. After 6 months, Orange has to unlock the locked phones if customers want.

So to answer your question. You can buy an unlocked phone from Orange (official iPhone partner) and because of French law, you can have a legally unlocked phone.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Another Apple product which has been declared a failure just like the Macbook Air has been declared, I wonder why the geniuses making these declarations aren't running their own corporations like Apple and making them successful.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

You did not read the links, or some of the recent posts. They are legal. They are official iPhones from Orange that have to be unlocked or can be locked to Orange. After 6 months, Orange has to unlock the locked phones if customers want.

So to answer your question. You can buy an unlocked phone from Orange (official iPhone partner) and because of French law, you can have a legally unlocked phone.

I know it's legal but can I use an unlocked phone here in the US without worrying about the next update bricking it?
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I know it's legal but can I use an unlocked phone here in the US without worrying about the next update bricking it?

I don't know how to answer your question other then yes. I hope this explains it well enough.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:

I don't know how to answer your question other then yes. I hope this explains it well enough.

Seems like I need to do some net searching then.

Thanks.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Wow, I’m really glad I don’t work with some of you. Under some misguided (not being mean) business attitudes here, some of you would have put Microsoft, Apple, and even Ford, out of business in the first year alone.

You're just not capable of posting without the whole point being how clueless, incompetent, ignorant, and stupid the other posters are, right?

Last chance. Remove all the remarks about other posters.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

You're just not capable of posting without the whole point being how clueless, incompetent, ignorant, and stupid the other posters are, right?

Last chance. Remove all the remarks about other posters.

Sorry Lundy, not sure what you are talking about here?
  • Reply 75 of 76
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's a reply to Kephisto.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Lundy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the mods care about how an argument goes in private posting, unless someone threatens another. It's the public posts they are concerned with.

And by the way, Kephisto, it's poor etiquette to publicly post private posts. They're private for a reason.