APPLE READ THIS - Why the iPhone is failing in Europe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Failing to meet expectations, don't make me laugh, because it's not meeting the expectations you have set for it, it means it's a failure.

I guess you must work at Apple to know what the expectations are for their products, they haven't reduced the amount they want to sell but already the product is a failure. One product that is only available in 4 countries in the world is all of a sudden supposed to sell out every other phone that there is.

Have you been paying attention to the numbers? I'm talking about Apple's expectations, not mine.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Have you been paying attention to the numbers? I'm talking about Apple's expectations, not mine.

In what way have they failed to meet expectations, you don't know the plans they have for the phone, they will release them the phone in more countries and meet their goal or even exceed it, right now they are on track to hit their target with additional launches in different countries.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    @tonton and Irleand,

You make great points. The iPhone will have problems in more mature markets such as Europe and Asia primarily due to the "locked" nature of the biz plan Apple is using. Another factor, here in FInland anyway, is the fact that ALL subscription based contracts my be accompanied by a phone with 3G. Apple offered the phone here and the operators laughed them out of their offices. I think this is a learning phase with Apple. They would be smart though and to look at how the operators work in Europe and in Asian markets. If Apple could offer unlocked phones, I am sure they would sell twice as many as they currently do.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    We're not going to get into posting PMs here.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Hey, fellow members, be careful - sapporobaby is trying for the 2008 title of "Know it all that in fact knows nothing". In the topic "AT&T plans 3G expansion ahead of second-gen iPhone", he sent me four private messages. Posted here for your amusement, just so you know his "true colors", he says he's a professional that is bound by several NDAs to build 3G networks worldwide and that all of us (especially me, ahem) better not make any mistakes. He's already called others idiots, that some of us should discover girls, and like minded statements, among other things.

The link to that topic is : http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...t=84061&page=3

Just a friendly FYI. I don't want any of you to get insulted and fall victim to a forum troll. Even bavlondon2 didn?t send me insulting private messages, hehe.

Wait, didn't you just post something like this in another thread? Are you going thread to thread looking for my posts? Does that make you a tro.........?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    At the end of the day Apple has chosen to concentrate on features which they think users want the most. They have indeed made usin those features a joy given the inginuity of iphones interface however they left of many things which could have made iphone more appealing to a bigger bulk of the market. At a time when we will see camera phones in the UK with up to 10 Megapixels its hard to understand why Apple only used a basic 2mp cam.

Im not going to go through every other feature missing from iphone as quite frankly ive said it all before and Apple know this better than anyone. Why else do you think they just improved the tarrifs for O2?

Apple have always been about making simple things look pretty. They have always been known to force users to use their methods or none. A good example of this is how they still force users to transfer content onto their proucts via syncing with itunes. They are never going to eat into Nokias share of the market. Nokia have a 40% share of the market. I dont have the exact figure to hand for what % of the smartphone market S60 takes up but Apple will never even come close. Nokia release a new phone almost every month. It should be clear to you all by now that iphone isnt meant to be a mass market phone. Tehcnology does come down in price eventually but you will have to wait a few years before you see Apple phones as commonly used as the rest.

I decided to hold out until a bigger capacity iphone was released and now the time has come so I should be getting mine hopefully in the next 2 weeks (although after reading about how the N96 specs were leaked on the Nokia german website I am tempted to hold out for that, or even the P5) or so however I will miss things MMS and filesharing with bluetooth. I just hope Apple addresses some of these things via firmware updates in the not to distant future.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    It's much simpler than that.

Because Apple wanted the iPhone to be a high-class mobile phone.

They disabled all the features that would be attractive to chavs.

They succeeded! Boom badda bing!

C.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    self - edited
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

...The N95 has some great technology but what's the point of 3G if you get 2 hours of usage when it's switched on? It comes down to trade-offs and great functional design...

A large number of people actually use the majority of the features on the iPhone because they are intuitive and we can forgive the lack of 3G if it gives us 5+ hours battery life instead of 2. It's a great balance.

I have two questions:

1) The '2 hour runtime' is based on 2 hours of CONTINUOUS use is it not?

2) In those 2 hours of continuous use, can one not download many times the data that a current iPhone user can in the 5 hours of EDGE that they get?

As such, one would experience an overall similar runtime on the battery if having the same usage rates on a 3G iPhone vs. the current iPhone, with the only difference being that one doesn't need to wait three days for a website to load.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post

I have two questions:

1) The '2 hour runtime' is based on 2 hours of CONTINUOUS use is it not?

2) In those 2 hours of continuous use, can one not download many times the data that a current iPhone user can in the 5 hours of EDGE that they get?

As such, one would experience an overall similar runtime on the battery if having the same usage rates on a 3G iPhone vs. the current iPhone, with the only difference being that one doesn't need to wait three days for a website to load.

Dazabrit had a point about the N95 and it's battery life. Two hours was not quite right but it would hardly last a day. One of the things that they found causing the battery life problems was that fact that some software, Fring for example left a server running in the background, and there were some other issues. Nokia redesigned the N95 and added a bigger battery. I have one of the initial N95's and can say that the battery life was pretty poor, however the new one's are quite a bit better. As far as 3G vs. non-3G usage, I did not notice a major increase in battery time but it was noticeable. I think if Apple can figure a way to increase the battery size a bit more without a major re-engineering, 3G should not be a serious issue. The bottom line is, there will be no 360 hour standby time or 24 hour usage with these high powered media devices. Battery technology is lagging behind the applicable uses unfortunately. There are some good Symbian sites that provide background info on the N95 and its evolution.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Briefly: European iPhone sales figures, insider stock transactions

January 31, 2008 - T-Mobile recently announced that it has sold 70,000 iPhones in the first 11 weeks since the device went on sale in Germany in early November.

A T-Mobile executive played down the seemingly low numbers -- France sold 70,000 iPhones in the first month -- and said "the iPhone is by far the most sold multimedia device in T-Mobile?s portfolio."

In the UK, O2, the exclusive provider of the iPhone there, said that Apple's phone was its fastest-selling handset ever "by a significant margin."

Nonetheless, it appears the iPhone's high price, limited plan options, and EDGE network support, three things European customers are not accustomed to, are affecting Apple's ability to ramp up sales of the iPhone overseas.

In the UK, roughly 60 percent of mobile phone users opt for a pay-as-you-go plan rather than a subscription contract. The iPhone is only available with an 18 month commitment.

In an effort to make the iPhone more attractive in the UK, O2 earlier this week began offering additional package configurations for the iPhone, including the ability to purchase more text messages as an add-on package and lower minutes. Text messaging is more popular than calling among a significant portion of the European population.

At Macworld Expo/San Francisco on January 15, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced Apple had sold 4 million iPhones to date, a figure that would put the lion's share of the sales in the U.S. alone.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    The iphone is doomed, it's a failure and should be discountinued right away.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

*Laughs* Where do people get this sort of nonsense?

In what possible regard is it a failure as a product?
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Try not to take many of these posters seriously, Xian Zhu Xuande. If you followed most of their logic, they would say M&M candies are an utter failure because they don't sell well in the Sahara Desert, Egypt, the Amazon rain forest, or anywhere else where it's really hot. I hear Windows is on over 85% of all computers on the planet, so from some people here that means the iMac (with less than 10% market share) sucks and is a business failure. Nothing seems to be a hit in their eyes unless they and all their friends own one.

The next thing you know they'll start saying high definition tv sucks and fails worldwide because not everyone has it yet. Same with anything else that is released first in the United States. Continue at your own peril, Xian Zhu Xuande, because you're like Christopher Columbus trying to convince people that the world is round. Some, like sapporobaby, who says he's a 3G networking genius who knows everything about technology and has several NDAs, wants to claim the position of forum ambassador to their country. Ok, if they want to. They aren't going to shut down iPhone sales in their country all by themselves, no matter what they say here, hehe. Next year the iPhone will be selling at least twice as much as it is now, in every country it's released in.

Hey, sapporobaby, why haven't you sent me another private message or "school" me on advanced networks and technology? Did I violate your NDA or something? By April I'll have fiber, broadband wireless, and broadband cable going to my house all at the same time, while you implied you already had the same. Actually, right now, I have two of them, so I'm only missing fiber. Hmm, is fiber selling well in Finland too, just like in America? Oh, that's right, you want me to come up to Finland to see how real telephony and high tech networks run, right?

Note : As might not be that obvious, some here have valid points about the iPhone, whether sold in the United States or elsewhere. My statements are not intended to include every single poster in this topic as being misguided.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

Try not to take many of these posters seriously, Xian Zhu Xuande.

You're right. I wouldn't have entertained such a nonsensical discussion anyway. From a marketing standpoint the iPhone has already accomplished something which was previously unheard of in the mobile industry and everyone is benefiting from it, iPhone or not.

Apple's sales numbers can speak for themselves.

And I'll wager a large chunk of the 'missing' iPhones are placing calls in regions like Europe.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Briefly: European iPhone sales figures, insider stock transactions

January 31, 2008

France sold 70,000 iPhones in the first month -- and said "the iPhone is by far the most sold multimedia device in T-Mobile’s portfolio."

In the UK, O2, the exclusive provider of the iPhone there, said that Apple's phone was its fastest-selling handset ever "by a significant margin."

Sure, for the obvious reason that most network providers hardly sell phones anymore.

If you then walk the path of a "tying arrangement" and your networkprovider is the only option to buy the iPhone... it is bound to be the most sold media device, given all others are bought through other retail stores.

The moment that the iPhone can be sold unlocked at a reasonable price, its salesfigures with O2 and T-Mobile will quickly be reduced to the level of the other devices or even worse, I fear.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

And I'll wager a large chunk of the 'missing' iPhones are placing calls in regions like Europe.

I am convinced a lot of people WANT to buy an iPhone (I for one think it's gorgious), so as a product I don't think it a failure. I guess the problem is the way it was marketed : you MUST buy a rate plan with it... A bold move from Apple... but I guess sofar it hasn't been the succes they expected (in Europe and Asia that is). But can you blame Apple for trying? They noticed what a cash cow content providing is with iTunes. What had to be the next step after music?

Hey, I was surprised the MacBook Air wasn't offered exclusively through AT&T!!
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

Some, like sapporobaby, who says he's a 3G networking genius who knows everything about technology and has several NDAs, wants to claim the position of forum ambassador to their country. Ok, if they want to. They aren't going to shut down iPhone sales in their country all by themselves, no matter what they say here, hehe. Next year the iPhone will be selling at least twice as much as it is now, in every country it's released in.

Hey, sapporobaby, why haven't you sent me another private message or "school" me on advanced networks and technology? Did I violate your NDA or something? By April I'll have fiber, broadband wireless, and broadband cable going to my house all at the same time, while you implied you already had the same. Actually, right now, I have two of them, so I'm only missing fiber. Hmm, is fiber selling well in Finland too, just like in America? Oh, that's right, you want me to come up to Finland to see how real telephony and high tech networks run, right?

Considering you trolled me from thread to thread to post your "friendly" warning. In the previously "trolled" thread, I gave you the last word as you needed it, and still seem to. However in this thread I made no such promise. By the way did you go and correct yours completely erroneous statement to (can't remember the name off hand) about his iPhone being useless once the contract run out? Nope. You only gave him "great news" that I told you about. Man, I hope you are not a journalist. All of your writings are suspect. What's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes. Plagiarism. So, I would say that class was dismissed on that issue. You got a failing grade.

Glad you will have fiber in April. Great that they have it already to many homes here in Finland and I just happen to be working here at the time to enjoy it. Oh, did I mention the entire country will have digital TV in March, as mandated by the govt. As I like to be compliant, I had mine about 2 and half years ago. It goes quite nicely with my 24 mbs ADSL. When not zooming around the Internet at home, I can still do it on my Nokia N82 at 7.2 mbs. In all fairness, I do you my iPhone as a back up phone or if I want to play some music.

Now for the NDA's. You can't violate them. Only I can, and well what would be my reason? To fill you in on what you already know from your weekly summer camps at Stevie Boy Job's? I'm sure he pulls you aside and asks your advice, and seats you at his right hand.I cordially invited you several times to prove me wrong about anything and you disguise your lack of knowledge in multi-page posts designed to obfuscate. Anyway Mr. Stoneage, when you can buy a house via MMS (yup I bought one of mine this way), or stop using checks, I will gladly welcome you to the new millennium. Until then find something I have said wrong and prove it right. You are getting quite boring. By the way, I would guess that EVERYONE (you do love your crowds. must have quite lonely as child huh....) saw you make this person, and so it will stay.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

You're right. I wouldn't have entertained such a nonsensical discussion anyway. From a marketing standpoint the iPhone has already accomplished something which was previously unheard of in the mobile industry and everyone is benefiting from it, iPhone or not.

Apple's sales numbers can speak for themselves.

Actually you are correct. Right now in France they are hemorrhaging unlocked iPhones. The same can be said in Germany when T-Mobile was forced to sell them unlocked for a while. People were still willing to pay 1000 Euro for them. Several small but profitable businesses have popped up selling hardware unlocked iPhone but now that a software hack has been found (last few days), you might see a huge run the local Apple shops where the iPhone is sold. AT&T is not reporting the number of pre-paid cards subscriptions with the iPhone. I have several friends that purchased their iPhones this way. Buy it, give AT&T $54, don't recharge the card, let the contract expire in 30 days, hack it, and then you have an unlocked iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Wow. This is a bit of a stretch. If Apple were to sell unlocked phones in Europe, there would a great phone war. Nokia would be forced to listen to its customers and not just rest on its market share. Europeans have a different mindset I think when it comes to the iPhone. I do not think many are impressed with its technology as apart from the slick UI, internally the iPhone is rather dated from a technological point of view. I do know that many like having their videos, their tunes, the ability to surf the net, all in one package. Here the iPhone is quite good. If Apple were to make some software concessions, and add additional BT profiles the iPhone would really be hard to beat.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It's much simpler than that.

Because Apple wanted the iPhone to be a high-class mobile phone.

They disabled all the features that would be attractive to chavs.

They succeeded! Boom badda bing!

C.

Er yeah that must be it!

Not that im an expert on chavs but in my experience playing music through loudspeaker tend to be the only real annoying feature and correct me if im wrong but iphone does that doesnt it?