Apple hit with summons over iTunes Store Allowances

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:

"computer-based method for allocating funds in pre-established accounts for use by customers, by creating for each customer a customer account file containing a record of funds deposited for the customer, and limiting how the funds in each customer account file may be spent on audio and video entertainment."

Common practice?

ANYONE who has ever joined a christmas club and had their details held on computer... like mm maybe a lot of computer shops?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:

"computer-based method for allocating funds in pre-established accounts for use by customers, by creating for each customer a customer account file containing a record of funds deposited for the customer, and limiting how the funds in each customer account file may be spent on audio and video entertainment."

It seems to describe a system where you post funds but limit how much of it can be used at a time or where. "RSS" says here's $120 for the year but you can only spend $10 a month. That's not an allowance, that's just limited withdrawal.

Apple's allowance works the other way around. It's a system where you post a limited amount of funds but the recipient can use as much as they want or save up for future purchases. iTunes says here's $10 a month for a year, but you can save it up for later, just like a real allowance. It's like a savings account for iTunes store.

IMO, the patent is super lame in the first place. It's like patenting the idea of using a CD drive tray as a cup holder.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Little Jimmy's Lemonade Stand sued Apple, because he says the whole concept of offering something for sale and insisting on payment was his idea.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    You should all take a look at this... we are SCREWED! Microsoft has finally done it....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29130

"If this patent holds up in federal court, Apple will have no choice but to convert to analog," said Apple interim CEO Steve Jobs, "and I have serious doubts whether this company would be able to remain competitive selling pedal-operated computers running software off vinyl LPs."
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

... When you apply for a patent, it gets initially reviewed by a screener for basic validity, correct filing, etc. If given the go-ahead it gets review by a 3-person panel of experts that have experience in a similar/related field as that of the application. They would follow the basic rules we have now, EXCEPT that the filing would have to meet a *HIGH THRESHOLD* for originality and ingenuity, as the current system is supposed to now, but which is broken. People would not be granted patents for brain-dead common sense extensions of prior ideas.

The bar of acceptance would also be set much higher for "abstract" ideas and things such as software patents. One example being things like Amazon's "one click" shopping would NOT be patentable. ....

That is similar to an idea for improving the patent system. In my version, this panel would decide on the originality and ingenuity of the invention and, rather than a high bar with a "yes" or "no" choice, the length of a patent would be proportionally awarded. Cheesy, marginally original inventions might get a year or two of patent protection, whereas a really great one gets the full 20 year term.

Damn, I should have patented that idea! Now that I've publicly disclosed it, I'm screwed!