My airbook first impressions...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I like your portable studio solution, but I am waiting for the airbook to come with a larger hard drive. At it's current max levels of 64 or 80gigs...it just isn't enough for me.

I'm still gonna get a new macbook to use the next couple of years, and THEN check back in with the air. By that time SSD prices should come down with much larger options.

Because as it is, a 64gig SSD drive after you load the OS and all the stuff you may need will leave you with around 38gigs. If that. To me, this would be WAY too limiting and not worth the 3 grand sticker price. I know some could work around this. But for me, having to add an external HD kinda defeats the whole portability edge the air had over the macbook.

But it is a sweet machine for sure. :-)

As soon as they can cram at least 160 gig HD in there...I'm all over this baby. :-)
  • Reply 22 of 31
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I like your portable studio solution, but I am waiting for the airbook to come with a larger hard drive. At it's current max levels of 64 or 80gigs...it just isn't enough for me.

I'm still gonna get a new macbook to use the next couple of years, and THEN check back in with the air. By that time SSD prices should come down with much larger options.

Because as it is, a 64gig SSD drive after you load the OS and all the stuff you may need will leave you with around 38gigs. If that. To me, this would be WAY too limiting and not worth the 3 grand sticker price. I know some could work around this. But for me, having to add an external HD kinda defeats the whole portability edge the air had over the macbook.

But it is a sweet machine for sure. :-)

As soon as they can cram at least 160 gig HD in there...I'm all over this baby. :-)

Although I'm at least a year away from getting a new portable, I'm already decided that it will be a MBA.

I've even thought about how I would handle the smaller storage issue. While I'm sure that the MBA will have greater storage capacity a year or two from now I still have a plan in place for dealing with limited storage.

While most consider limiting the files that they transfer I also looking at purging a lot of apps that I know I won't use on that machine. Gone will be iDVD, Garageband and iMovie. These apps I'll keep on my desktop machine. That should free up some decent space for iWork and apps like Bento which I think I'm getting soon.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I also looking at purging a lot of apps that I know I won't use on that machine. Gone will be iDVD, Garageband and iMovie. These apps I'll keep on my desktop machine. That should free up some decent space for iWork and apps like Bento which I think I'm getting soon.

Thank for reminding of this tactic -- I am going to do it now
  • Reply 24 of 31
    My Air arrived today! To all the bashers out there: eat your hearts out! I will be putting this machine to good use.

Just got home with it and will set it up later, but my first impression now as an owner is: Wow. The design for some reason reminds me of a wafer cookie... My wife got to have a good look at it and she wants one, now; thanks for bankrupting us, Steve!

I agree completely on the apps: get rid of everything you don't need.

At the moment, I plan to install:

iWork

Curio

Journler

Seashore

The Air already has iLife onboard, so any recording or editing I need to do in the field will be done with those apps as they will do the trick. My primary use for the Air will be as a writing and planning tool. Sometimes I will need/want to work with audio and video, but the Air will mainly be for planning and writing my materials, something I do best while away from my desk.

Compared to my current MBP, the Air is much lighter and even more so if you consider the weight of the power brick. I just carried my MBP around on my back for three days and it started getting pretty heavy on the third day. The Air will not impose this feeling.

Off to set things up... I probably won't post again for some time because I'll be too busy playing- er, working!

• Reply 25 of 31
    I get the same thing, people are so wowed by my MBA. I know of 2 people that went out and bought Macbooks after seeing my Air. When I told them a Macbook was the same thing only slightly thicker and with and optical drive, they went gaga and opened up their wallets at a local Apple store.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I envy you, Berger, and I'm not afraid to say it.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Took the Air to Starbucks tonight... couldn't get any work done because of all the peering eyes!

Ran into one problem, though: bags. The rucksack that I have that fits my BMP perfectly lets the Air jostle around like crazy, albeit it a protected softcase. Dropped by two PC shops and all of the cases are just the wrong size or, due to the Air's beveled design, still let it jostle. I will wrap it in a towel for now, but I hope somebody comes out with a true bag soon.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I bought this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...s&mco=9A2600B3

at the Apple store in Norfolk when I bought my Macbook Air. I also have a sleeve, and along with my three ring binder for school, it fits like a bug in a rug.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Yeah I forget how heavy ethernet ports were these days. Not to mention a seconds USB port

And a $100 price drop, yeah that would be far too thick

Not to mention that Apple didn't have them damn sense to actually make the existing USB capable for actual peripherals. I mean come on, who designed this thing.. Johnny Ive's bloddy intern? The Air may be thin, but the damn designer is very thick.

Even if lundy addressed most of your concerns that was definitely hilarious Ireland!
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Yeah, it's really weird. Lack of money; therefore, envy -- would be my take. Some people drool over things they can't afford, some get angry because they feel entitled. Getting angry at a computer because it's not right for you? Weird.

Me, I don't need one at the moment because of my MBP, but it hardly makes me angry.

On the positive side:

My niece (I gave her an MPA just as she headed down to Honduras to volunteer in some medical facilities) is loving it. That and a 10+ hour external battery, and she's found it a total joy.

My producer from my last film (who I also gave one to) has now ordered one for his wife and one for his son (who's at college). He keeps calling me up to tell me about something new he's discovered (he wasn't a Mac person before). Lots of calls means, hopefully, more work in the future (he said self-servingly ).

I think it's a great product that has a very stylish visibility. Anger? It's like getting angry at a Mussoni suit. Why? What did the suit ever do to you? Oh, that's right, I can get a full suit, jacket, pants... AND a vest! at Walmart for 1/10th the cost. What were those Italian designers thinking? Oh, and the Walmart suit has more pockets, too!

Wow, maybe you gave your majordomo and the whole residence staff Macs too, just because you can and it feels soo good to tell all about it here LOL

=> Isn't this supposed to be a tech forum, not a bragging scene?

I'd actually be interested in getting 10+ hour external batteries - any useful info on that?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhateverWorks View Post

Wow, maybe you gave your majordomo and the whole residence staff Macs too, just because you can and it feels soo good to tell all about it here LOL

=> Isn't this supposed to be a tech forum, not a bragging scene?

I'd actually be interested in getting 10+ hour external batteries - any useful info on that?

Sorry, the Majordomo is very conservative and has a Mac Pro (feels that laptops aren't "real" computers). As for the 10+ hour externals: http://www.batterygeek.net/

10+ and above and everything below and in-between. They've been very easy to work with, too.