Baby Boomer Bust

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It could indeed be a bumpy ride and I believe that soon we will begin pondering generational accounting as a result. I think as the boomers retire they will see how the generation after them are going to call in the chips so to speak. The boomers will be able to vote but the reality is that they will no longer have the cunning or energy to address what will be happening to them. Their own games are going to be run against them by younger people with more energy.

You make many reasoned points, but they are firmly at odds with reality, T.

Boomers are a much larger, and more powerful voting bloc than the younger generation. Anything short of murder in the streets or a tax revolt by the young will simply mean that the larger number of voters will continue to steal via political force from you and me.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm sorry to all the traditional Republicans here, but the answer to the low birth rate is immigration, specifically from countries where population growth is out of hand, and there are plenty.

I've not seen Republican against immigration at all. I have seen Republicans against giving illegal immigrants legal status whereby they now begin to cost us money instead of making us money via their exploitation.

I've had this wonderful sort of circular reasoning discussion with several people who knock off their silly talking points about the cost of a head of lettuce or doing jobs Americans won't do.

Them: You are lucky these folks are here otherwise think about who would pick your lettuce and how much it would cost. They are doing jobs Americans won't do!

Me: You are right but if that is the case why do they need documentation, a license, the ability to claim Social Security benefits, etc.

Them: Well it will help bring them out of the shadows and stop them from being exploited.

Me: Isn't the point of them being here to be exploited?!? If they aren't being exploited won't the cost of that head of lettuce go up? Won't the Social Security Fund go even more broke since they are now paying in and wanting to draw out? If we fix all this exploitation, wouldn't these become jobs Americans will do since their crime is an unwillingness to be exploited?

Them: (crickets chirping)

The only thing people are against is arguments whereby you claim you would be screwed if certain people weren't exploited and then scratch your head when they don't support measures whereby they can no longer be exploited since that would... screw them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree 100%. Cutting off the tide of immigrants will severely damage our ability to compete as a nation, and will lessen the supply of workers needed to care for our huge retired population.

Agreed and best of all, our immigrants legal or illegal don't care to show up and commit jihad while enforcing sharia law!

Quote:

You make many reasoned points, but they are firmly at odds with reality, T.

Boomers are a much larger, and more powerful voting bloc than the younger generation. Anything short of murder in the streets or a tax revolt by the young will simply mean that the larger number of voters will continue to steal via political force from you and me.

Well my amounts from the inability to get blood from a stone. One of the reasons I follow the family court stuff so much is because this is what is happening there. You see men who never get paid above board so it is trackable income. You see more bartering instead of trackable transactions. I do not think it accidental that in a time of profound technological change as this, you see more people than ever forgoing marriage, even forgoing bank accounts. The more the government squeezes, the more people will hide their actions or refuse to sanction them via government means. They will live with the wife for 50 years without the piece of paper. They become self-employed consultants who hide all the cash that runs through their businesses. Hell they might even buy a motorhome with television and internet via satellite and phone via cell service and just drop out of the property tax loop. I actually know a few men who have taken this route.

Also if you get a court to buy into generational accounting, then debt becomes taxation without representation and as such, could yield a very large win if shopped around to enough judges and courts. It would only take one win.

The means by which it is avoided or is overturned really isn't important. All that needs to be understood is that unless they want to criminalize the entire working population of the United States or bring back slavery, then they are screwed since nothing short of that can bring about the amount of funds necessary to "save" them.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

I've not seen Republican against immigration at all. I have seen Republicans against giving illegal immigrants legal status whereby they now begin to cost us money instead of making us money via their exploitation.

I've had this wonderful sort of circular reasoning discussion with several people who knock off their silly talking points about the cost of a head of lettuce or doing jobs Americans won't do.

Them: You are lucky these folks are here otherwise think about who would pick your lettuce and how much it would cost. They are doing jobs Americans won't do!

Me: You are right but if that is the case why do they need documentation, a license, the ability to claim Social Security benefits, etc.

Them: Well it will help bring them out of the shadows and stop them from being exploited.

Me: Isn't the point of them being here to be exploited?!? If they aren't being exploited won't the cost of that head of lettuce go up? Won't the Social Security Fund go even more broke since they are now paying in and wanting to draw out? If we fix all this exploitation, wouldn't these become jobs Americans will do since their crime is an unwillingness to be exploited?

Them: (crickets chirping)

The only thing people are against is arguments whereby you claim you would be screwed if certain people weren't exploited and then scratch your head when they don't support measures whereby they can no longer be exploited since that would... screw them.

Agreed and best of all, our immigrants legal or illegal don't care to show up and commit jihad while enforcing sharia law!

Well my amounts from the inability to get blood from a stone. One of the reasons I follow the family court stuff so much is because this is what is happening there. You see men who never get paid above board so it is trackable income. You see more bartering instead of trackable transactions. I do not think it accidental that in a time of profound technological change as this, you see more people than ever forgoing marriage, even forgoing bank accounts. The more the government squeezes, the more people will hide their actions or refuse to sanction them via government means. They will live with the wife for 50 years without the piece of paper. They become self-employed consultants who hide all the cash that runs through their businesses. Hell they might even buy a motorhome with television and internet via satellite and phone via cell service and just drop out of the property tax loop. I actually know a few men who have taken this route.

Also if you get a court to buy into generational accounting, then debt becomes taxation without representation and as such, could yield a very large win if shopped around to enough judges and courts. It would only take one win.

The means by which it is avoided or is overturned really isn't important. All that needs to be understood is that unless they want to criminalize the entire working population of the United States or bring back slavery, then they are screwed since nothing short of that can bring about the amount of funds necessary to "save" them.

By Jove, I'll make you a Libertarian yet.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

I'm sorry to all the traditional Republicans here, but the answer to the low birth rate is immigration, specifically from countries where population growth is out of hand, and there are plenty.

Do you realize the tax burden passed on to others when low wage earners live two families to a home with many children enrolled in the public schools.

Lets say you take a home in Fort Worth Texas in "little Mexico" and two families split the home. This home is valued less than $60,000 brings in property tax of roughly $1,000 yearly. The cost to each family is $500 of this $1,000 total.

Now what do these families get for their yearly $500 contribution? Let's say each family has just 2 children. It is known that it costs $7,000 per year per child to be educated in the public schools here. Multiply that by 2 children and you have a burden to the tax base of $14,000 a year per family or $28,000 per year (during the school age years) per this one household that pays in property tax of $1,000 per year.

Benefit of 28 - 1. This does not take into account other benefits like flooding ER rooms. I am not making this up either. I can show you the reality of this. Come to DFW and I can show you the ER rooms with over an hour wait. And you will see who is there because they have no other method of health care.

You tell me how this is supposed to be sustainable.

Our federal government is bankrupting this country with wars and overspending.

Our local governments in border states are going bankrupt from the immigration issue.

I have nothing against people south of the border I am just giving the financial facts of how this trend is not healthy for the social systems of education and health care.

Social services work when the members pay in at the proper premium. When a huge percentage of the population that uses social services pays in virtually nothing it will implode the social services financially.

Am I wrong?

Fellows

In other news Americans leaving the high cost of living in US.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...14ACED353EC%7D
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Am I wrong?

Fellows

Nope, you're right.

Also, for developments on new tax-free zones springing up in the US, look into the developments on the Republic of Lakotah, a separatist indian nation that just split off from the US, inside the US. This will get really interesting.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

Nope, you're right.

Also, for developments on new tax-free zones springing up in the US, look into the developments on the Republic of Lakotah, a separatist indian nation that just split off from the US, inside the US. This will get really interesting.

I am part liberal and part free market capitalist and it really jerks my chains when I hear a far right or far left minded person make comments which are seemingly detatched from all reality.

For example I was watching CNBC the other day and this "financial guy" from some stupid fund was saying he did not think high gas prices affected the economy or would have any impact on peoples lives.

I thought to myself you little bastard... must be nice to live in la la land..

Then I hear my friend tonton who I figure leans to the left in a political sense (not a crime mind you) and I quite respect tonton btw. say the bit to which I responded to earlier in this thread above about immigration solving the population problem and it is as if tonton is detatched from all reality of what growing immigration is doing to the local municipal governments in border states in the US. (see my post above)

It is as if those on the far right who have endless bank accounts speak from a vantage point that

BAHHHHH high gas prices will not hurt the economy or the consumer... and those on the far left having an endless giving heart speak from a vantage point of BAHHHH the US can afford to give out social services to millions who pay virtually nothing into the system.

To both these people on the far right and far left I respectfully say.. You are skimming over reality or you do not live in reality.

and a spritz of perfume will not fix the growing problem a.k.a. ( economic stimulus package )

Fellows
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Fellows, what you don't understand WRT immigration and the economy is that it is an investment. The return comes later. We are, after all, children of immigrants (unless we're native American), and maybe our first generation ancestors didn't pay into the system, but we do. Maybe new Mexican immigrants aren't paying as much into the system now, but their children and grandchildren will, which is what will support the economy without relying on high birth rates. Aside from that, there are plenty of immigrants who pay into the system, and plenty of third, fourth, and sixth generation Americans who don't.

Now if you're saying that state and local governments bear too much of the financial burden of the investment, I'm right with you on that one, I being from California and you being from Texas. Immigration related expenses, including security costs and education costs, in addition to social programs, should largely be borne by the Federal government.

I don't think I'm as far detached from reality as you claim when you look at the whole picture.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Fellows, what you don't understand WRT immigration and the economy is that it is an investment. The return comes later. We are, after all, children of immigrants (unless we're native American), and maybe our first generation ancestors didn't pay into the system, but we do. ...

You moved to Hong Kong years ago. You may read the newspapers, have party affiliations, etc, but you're not getting the whole story. Neither am I, to tell you the truth. Even so, most honest Ameriacns with fingers on the pulse realize that the system is broken. There are many potential solutions, but there is one clear problem: the systems in place -- hospitals, jails, tax codes, etc. -- are not capable of bearing the current situation. So something needs to change. Most Democrats seem to be against any form of repair for the singular reason that they think they can get voters out of central american immigrants (illegal or not). That is indisputable. The rest of the varied political spectrum has different opinions on how to fix the problems, and most of them don't involve putting up walls or mass deportation. So before you make silly, sentimental claims that pull anecdotes from bygone eras where the systems of the day were not broken, consider that there is, indeed, a real problem.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

You moved to Hong Kong years ago. You may read the newspapers, have party affiliations, etc, but you're not getting the whole story. Neither am I, to tell you the truth. Even so, most honest Ameriacns with fingers on the pulse realize that the system is broken. There are many potential solutions, but there is one clear problem: the systems in place -- hospitals, jails, tax codes, etc. -- are not capable of bearing the current situation. So something needs to change. Most Democrats seem to be against any form of repair for the singular reason that they think they can get voters out of central american immigrants (illegal or not). That is indisputable. The rest of the varied political spectrum has different opinions on how to fix the problems, and most of them don't involve putting up walls or mass deportation. So before you make silly, sentimental claims that pull anecdotes from bygone eras where the systems of the day were not broken, consider that there is, indeed, a real problem.

I agree that there's a real problem. where did you get the idea that I thought everything now is AOK?

In fact, I believe there are many things that would begin helping with the problem, but cutting services definitely isn't one of them, nor is spending billions policing the border, financing vigilantes or building more walls and fences.

I think some of the first places to look are job training and placement for legal immigrants, and seasonal worker program to provide a legal alternative to illegal immigration (and provide a break for the economy).

I haven't seen any of the candidates, Republican or Democrat approach the solution to the problem correctly.

And I strongly disagree with your assertion that "most Democrats seem to be against any form of repair..." It is simply incorrect, as well as the fact that your claim regarding their motivation for supposedly "not wanting change" is illogical. There are far more votes to be gotten by blabbering about fences and deportation than there are in doing "nothing" in a grab for the Latino vote, which any candidate knows, isn't any happier with the current system than the white folks.

Do a little reading, please.

And here.

After you read that then come back and say "most Democrats..." I don't see that either of those candidates are "against any form of repair".
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Do a little reading, please.

And here.

After you read that then come back and say "most Democrats..." I don't see that either of those candidates are "against any form of repair".

Referencing the web pages run by the candidates and their aides is about the least informative thing you could have done. Don't turn this into partisan silliness. You really need to tap into the dialog that goes on in journals and editorials. Thanks to the internet, I'm sure you can find it this kind of stuff.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Referencing the web pages run by the candidates and their aides is about the least informative thing you could have done. Don't turn this into partisan silliness. You really need to tap into the dialog that goes on in journals and editorials. Thanks to the internet, I'm sure you can find it this kind of stuff.

Excuse me? Candidates' published positions, including bill introduction and voting records, are not "informative", but the media is? LMFAO!

Barack Obama:

Quote:

Barack Obama's Record

* Crack Down on Employers: Obama championed a proposal to create a system so employers can verify that their employees are legally eligible to work in the U.S.

* Fix the Bureaucracy: Obama joined Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) to introduce the Citizenship Promotion Act to ensure that immigration application fees are both reasonable and fair. Obama also introduced legislation that passed the Senate to improve the speed and accuracy of FBI background checks.

* Respect Families: Obama introduced amendments to put greater emphasis on keeping immigrant families together.

Tell me how those FACTS are not better than "journals and editorials". Please.

Once again that is not "doing nothing". Once again, I have proven that you are simply wrong, at least in this example of one particular Democrat (and a pretty important Democrat at at that). Barack Obama's record is fact. Not "editorial".

And are you not the one who made this partisan?

You said, "Democrats aren't doing anything!". I said, "Yes they are doing something, and here it is. But neither party is doing enough*." And I'm the one being partisan? Jeez, did you join the SDW bizarro reality world?

Please, other members, tell me I'm not going insane. Spliney actually said these things, right?

*About as non-partisan a statement as you can find.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Fellows, what you don't understand WRT immigration and the economy is that it is an investment. The return comes later. We are, after all, children of immigrants (unless we're native American), and maybe our first generation ancestors didn't pay into the system, but we do. Maybe new Mexican immigrants aren't paying as much into the system now, but their children and grandchildren will, which is what will support the economy without relying on high birth rates. Aside from that, there are plenty of immigrants who pay into the system, and plenty of third, fourth, and sixth generation Americans who don't.

Now if you're saying that state and local governments bear too much of the financial burden of the investment, I'm right with you on that one, I being from California and you being from Texas. Immigration related expenses, including security costs and education costs, in addition to social programs, should largely be borne by the Federal government.

I don't think I'm as far detached from reality as you claim when you look at the whole picture.

Thank you for your reply. I hope you did not think I was trying to hammer you too hard because I do not mean to sound in any tone as if I am giving you a hard time about the subject of immigration.

With respect,

Fellows
  • Reply 33 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Well I've softened up quite bit. I have a quote somewhere on here where I said the silver bullet solution to the boomer's problems is a literal silver bullet. See how much nicer this is in comparison to that?

The real problem will be much worse than them getting older. In the past we have only had to deal with their generational selfishness and self-centeredness. Now we are going to be dealing with their denial related to aging and finally passing on from the planet. I say good riddance.

It could indeed be a bumpy ride and I believe that soon we will begin pondering generational accounting as a result. I think as the boomers retire they will see how the generation after them are going to call in the chips so to speak. The boomers will be able to vote but the reality is that they will no longer have the cunning or energy to address what will be happening to them. Their own games are going to be run against them by younger people with more energy.

I'm firmly of the opinion that inflation will return and that the generation after them will somehow decouple entitlements from it. This will solve the entitlement problem in part by cutting benefits without really cutting them. You let inflation run 6-7% while actually raising benefits 1-2% and the government will just lie about the numbers. (Hell they already do)

I believe we will end up endorsing a universal health care program but I believe the reasoning on this will be a bit perverse. It will be because as the boomers begin desiring all their life extending and quality of life procedures, we will be able to ration care and deny them these items. You will see hip, knee replacements and other procedures limited by the government due to preexisting conditions much like what is happening in Britain now.

I think America lucky in that our illegal immigrants don't happen to want to kill us unlike Europe. We don't have to worry about Mexicans being radicalized religiously. I think we will soon see an amnesty program in part because of the "retirement crisis."

I think the "miracle" will hopefully be some economic self-interest and a realization that we need to bring the troops home not just from Iraq but from Germany, from Korea, from Japan ,etc. The boomers have been spreading and believing their own lies for too long. You see anyone who even hints at these positions beginning to generate big money when a Perot, Paul, or anyone even hints at them. You put them to a young face and watch the tide turn.

Look at me too.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Well it looks like there are a few of us that can do this together... it will be nice to see all the baby pages

Amanda - Congrats I was due with Hannah yesterday 1/14 last year I just did a page in my gallery on my due date. Im so excited for you How far apart are your kids?

http://www.ps2netdrivers.net/manual/hp.49g-/
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

So for me I should stay in my house for 10 more years and then upgrade to a pre-owned starter mansion on the cheap.

At least you have a house. Look at the unfortunate ones at there with no homes or losing their homes in misguided forclosure out there.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

At least you have a house. Look at the unfortunate ones at there with no homes or losing their homes in misguided forclosure out there.

Do you realise that you are replying to a 2 year old post?
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Are you sure you are right about that....

I would expect Florida to be hardest hit with this suspected imbalance.

Fellows

Nevada is in really bad shape with Forclosure there at 14%.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    KubaPKKubaPK Posts: 0member
    That makes a lot of sense. Here is some good data on baby boomers - https://www.hellokrystof.com/baby-boomers-the-next-great-generation/

gerald apple said:
    Quote:

Fellows

Quote:

Fellows

Quote:

Am I wrong?

Fellows

Nope, you're right.