Apple shares rise on Citi recommendation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    "Yeah, I guess we need more unwarranted masturbation fantasy regarding AAPL"

Hardly, but I do think it will hit $200 (again) by the end of the year.

If you only knew how ridiculous you sound saying that $85 per share is "optimistic". So you're thinking $75 a share? That would give Apple a market cap of only $65 billion. Which is in range of what Microsoft wants to pay for Yahoo. Give me a break.

Not to mention Apple Inc has over 18 BILLION in cold hard cash!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Consumer spending data is coming through the pipes this week. Will it be good news? Or will it be a disaster. It's pretty dumb to be buying AAPL at these prices, since it should be priced in between $85 and $95 in light of current and near-term economic conditions.

hahaha! i think u are a total moron... anything below 130 is a total gift from god!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    ROTFLMAO

The stocks tanking: Buy! Buy More! Buy Now!

The stock rises: Buy! Buy More! Buy Now!

How easy it is to separate a fool from his money.

The stock market is a ponzi scheme.

Think. D I F F E R E N T

Your treasures will be eaten by inflation, insider trading, and the laws of mathematics.

If 2+2=5 the 5=2+2, too.

Why work hard and save it just for the thief? Why be a thief?

If you gain without working, then someone is working without getting paid. Perhaps even yourself.

A working class hero is something to be.

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school,

They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool,

Till you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules,

A working class hero is something to be,

When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years,

Then they expect you to pick a career,

When you can't really function you're so full of fear,

Keep you doped with religion and sex and AppleTV,

And you think you're so clever and classless and free,

But you're still fucking peasents as far as I can see,

There's room at the top they are telling you still,

But first you must learn how to smile as you kill,

If you want to be like the folks on the hill,

• Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augur View Post

ROTFLMAO

The stocks tanking: Buy! Buy More! Buy Now!

The stock rises: Buy! Buy More! Buy Now!

How easy it is to separate a fool from his money.

Think. D I F F E R E N T

Your treasures will be eaten by inflation, insider trading, and the laws of mathematics.

If 2+2=5 the 5=2+2, too.

Why work hard and save it just for the thief? Why be a thief?

If you gain without working, then someone is working without getting paid. Perhaps even yourself.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're smoking.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    I do believe I called this awhile back when the MBA came out- that thing is going to sink Apple. I was half joking- its not really going to sink Apple but I think it sank the stock. The Air is so far off I believe people lost faith in what Apple is doing. Here we are heading toward an economic downturn and Jobs puts out a super expensive product based on nothing more than "cool" factor. When money gets tight people don't go for cool. Even with a booming economy the air would have trouble selling. Add to that the failure of Apple TV, the dismal looking online rentals etc... drops in Ipod sales, underachieving Iphone, and a notebook line that is quickly aging and Apple really has no stars in its lineup. Not trying to be an Apple hater here I am just being realistic. If you take your Apple blinders off and look at the situation in a realistic way you will understand why people don't want to buy the stock.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

I do believe I called this awhile back when the MBA came out- that thing is going to sink Apple. I was half joking- its not really going to sink Apple but I think it sank the stock. The Air is so far off I believe people lost faith in what Apple is doing. Here we are heading toward an economic downturn and Jobs puts out a super expensive product based on nothing more than "cool" factor. When money gets tight people don't go for cool. Even with a booming economy the air would have trouble selling. Add to that the failure of Apple TV, the dismal looking online rentals etc... drops in Ipod sales, underachieving Iphone, and a notebook line that is quickly aging and Apple really has no stars in its lineup. Not trying to be an Apple hater here I am just being realistic. If you take your Apple blinders off and look at the situation in a realistic way you will understand why people don't want to buy the stock.

Didn't people say the same thing about iPods & Apple? iPod was released a month after 9/11. It was considered a novelty that wouldn't sell in what looked like a dismal economy.

For one, it's not as if Apple knew there was trouble brewing when it started developing the machine. Development lead times long enough that it's impossible to predict macroeconomic conditions like that. Not only that, I think you should be reminded that Apple introduced the Air *before* the indicators of a possible downturn came out.

iPod sales did not drop. There's no good indication either way on rentals. So far, iPhone sales as a whole have been about on target. I don't really know what's aging about the notebook line, not only that, they sold their record number of their supposedly aging notebooks last quarter.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

$85 per share is a tad optimistic considering the circumstances.

So if you're so confident it will hit that point, are you shorting the stock or taking other action to make money on a drop?

I keep asking you this, why are you so afraid to answer it?

Quote:

Augur, your idiotic posts have already been torn apart enough already so it's not worth wasting time repeating them.

We get it, you're either a clueless idiot or an obsessed zealot convinced that the very concepts of investment and growth are evil, period.

Either way, I don't see how your rants are the tiniest bit relevant to Apple Inc. Could you please stop wasting our time?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

I do believe I called this awhile back when the MBA came out- that thing is going to sink Apple. I was half joking- its not really going to sink Apple but I think it sank the stock.

Apple had a big drop at the same time everyone else had a big drop. You really think it's the MBA and not market forces? Or maybe the MBA is SUCH a horrible idea that it made people lose confidence in the entire US economy. Makes about as much sense.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

So if you're so confident it will hit that point, are you shorting the stock or taking other action to make money on a drop?

I sold all AAPL I owned in a range around $185, making out like a bandit at the expense of ignorant investors in AAPL who thought they could ride a valuation bubble but instead got shafted when they bought in on the tail end of the bubble.

I feel sorry for the investors who were led into the Ponzi scheme that was AAPL for the past couple years.

I enjoyed the Ponzi scheme when it wasn't identified as such, now there is quite a bit of apprehension in investing in AAPL because the "secret is out". But then again, you still have morons who think it's a bargain at whatever price below $250, and they keep buying and buying, and then they get shafted by people who sell their inflated stock.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

I sold all AAPL I owned in a range around $185, making out like a bandit at the expense of ignorant investors in AAPL who thought they could ride a valuation bubble but instead got shafted when they bought in on the tail end of the bubble.

I feel sorry for the investors who were led into the Ponzi scheme that was AAPL for the past couple years.

I enjoyed the Ponzi scheme when it wasn't identified as such, now there is quite a bit of apprehension in investing in AAPL because the "secret is out". But then again, you still have morons who think it's a bargain at whatever price below $250, and they keep buying and buying, and then they get shafted by people who sell their inflated stock.

So I guess that's a "no"? You're not shorting or making other moves to profit on a fall in AAPL price.

If you're so confident, why not?

And would you buy AAPL again, if so at what price? $85? Lower?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

The problem is that you're clearly being an extremist in the other direction when you give target prices that would effectively mean a P/E of 14.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I think he's mainly whining that he didn't sell at $200, instead of when he got out at $185. Sour grapes.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Honestly, I have no idea what you're smoking.

LOL I don't get my "highs" on numbers anymore. People are addicted to stock prices like they are to box scores and heroin.

People's emotions go up and down with the stock market. They think they are winning when they are really losing. All profit has to come at somebody else's expense. They are cheering inflation on. Rather than getting richer, they are getting poorer. But that isn't the worst of it.

Remember Scrooge? He spent his life watching over his numbers, and forgot what it was like to be alive. There are many, many, many among the land of the walking dead, who are addicted to the counting of numbers.

I managed to escape.

Scrooge was not the exception, he was the norm. His exception was that he was miserly, too.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Thats why I get high from natures herbs man, not numbers you guys are being slaves to the man, plus the P/E is 28 BTW, not 14
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

People's emotions go up and down with the stock market. They think they are winning when they are really losing. All profit has to come at somebody else's expense. They are cheering inflation on. Rather than getting richer, they are getting poorer. But that isn't the worst of it.

It's an interesting perspective. I applaud people simplifying their lives to focus on what's important to them. However, I don't think your understanding of how macroeconomics works jibes with reality. For one, it's not a zero-sum game that you portray it to be.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's an interesting perspective. I applaud people simplifying their lives to focus on what's important to them. However, I don't think your understanding of how macroeconomics works jibes with reality. For one, it's not a zero-sum game that you portray it to be.

How is it not? At any one moment, there is a finite amount of goods and a finite amount of money. People are constantly producing and consuming and generating waste. It is always a zero-sum game. The number or people increase or fall, but again, it is always a zero-sum game at any particular moment.

Also, it isn't just about "simplifying." The current system is a mathematical farce. The accounting we use doesn't match reality at all, because the value of the goods is constantly increasing. In fact, it is the accounting that is creating the inflation, not "supply and demand," or the invisible hand of stupidism. People buy low and sell high. That IS inflation. It isn't a mystery. Inflation is a man-made phenomenon, caused by the government initially, and perpetuated by everyone.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Ah forget it, I'm not going to argue with a Marxist.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

g3pro, your posts have become very tiresome. If you are so sure, then SHORT the stock and you'll be rich.

aaarrrgggh, you are 100% correct. It is inconceivable that AAPL would be trading at a P/E of around 14.

g3pro you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Augur, your idiotic posts have already been torn apart enough already so it's not worth wasting time repeating them.

We get it, you're either a clueless idiot or an obsessed zealot convinced that the very concepts of investment and growth are evil, period.

Either way, I don't see how your rants are the tiniest bit relevant to Apple Inc. Could you please stop wasting our time?

Apple had a big drop at the same time everyone else had a big drop. You really think it's the MBA and not market forces? Or maybe the MBA is SUCH a horrible idea that it made people lose confidence in the entire US economy. Makes about as much sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Apple appears to be in pretty good shape to weather a recession. Huge amounts of cash on hand, products diversified among various electronics/computer market segments, and a devoted customer base. If they play their cards right (and they seem to have been doing so lately), they could come out of the recession having picked up top talent and way ahead in R&D.

I'm just not sure why anyone would sell much, or what other companies they think would be a better bet in the long term.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So, you are basically saying that they should have a PE of 14 (after cash/short term investments are discounted from stock price) on the worst earnings projections is OPTIMISTIC?! Even CSCO which has much worse prospects is trading at 21x after cash and st investments!

In that 12 months, Apple has added about $6/share to its coffers. Growth might be flat this year if the economy gets as bad as the bears are trying to make it, but where I sit most of the pain is really in the financial sector and not the broader economy.

The Apple stores are still crowded (not packed, but crowded), and people are still buying. March won't be a stellar quarter compared to last year, and it would be nice to see either a dividend or an acquisition, but AAPL is priced pretty reasonably right now for the macro economic risk factors. When Europe starts feeling the pain then I can see AAPL dropping below 120 again, but much worse than that seems quite unfounded.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

hahaha! i think u are a total moron... anything below 130 is a total gift from god!

Quote:

Consumer spending data is coming through the pipes this week. Will it be good news? Or will it be a disaster. It's pretty dumb to be buying AAPL at these prices, since it should be priced in between $85 and $95 in light of current and near-term economic conditions.

dang, it feels good to be a gangsta.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    $97. Good times keep rolling.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    AAPL at $88. Wow, right inside my predicted range. Go me.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

AAPL at $88. Wow, right inside my predicted range. Go me.

Yeah, AFTER it went to almost 190. During which time you didn't have the balls to show your face on this site and admit you were wrong.