Blu-ray exclusives by Best Buy, Netflix deal HD DVD serious blow

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

The only reason I can figure is BB has suckered rich people into buying BD players with monster cables and the PS3 install base helps.

I have never owned a dvd player, had a PS2 for DVD's and now a PS3 for BRD, I refuse to spend money for a machine that has a limited use.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    What I've not seen much of in this debate is the DRM implication for Apple and OSX relative to the DRM requirements for the playback of HD content (regardless of which specific format wins. Now that Blu-ray seems closing in on the nomination, how will Apple implement this technology?

edit: almost forgot to mention, aren't their rather heavy handed DRM methods used in Vista pertaining to HD playback?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

None of the people who followed Apple. Apple went for DVD-R, the first major manufacturer to do so. That's still going strong.

Your information is not correct. With the Power Mac G4's, Apple dropped the ball and went with DVD-RAM drives instead of CD-RW drives. Many people were stuck with clumsy and slow DVD-RAM drives and disc cartridges. Later, Apple resolved the issue with CD-RW drives and later, DVD-R drives.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

That's not entirely fair. I've heard they are very nice upscaling DVD players.

I didn't know that... that's very good news to me. That alone would more than quadruple the value of my investment in one, since my wife is fairly obsessed with buying DVDs.

I have a relatively good quality Yamaha progressive DVD player (turntable 5 disc) but I absolutely HATE it's counter-intuitive remote and the fact that you can't turn the stupid power off without getting up, crossing the room and bending over to push a button.

Thanks for the observation, and my apologies; calling it "otherwise useless" was an oversimplification based on the constant discourse about how everyone is abandoning the format.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    It's really the same on the BR side. In the end, if HD optical formats don't go mainstream the upshot is that the BR players are great upscaling DVD players as well. The devices will still be useful in the long run.