What the hell?? QUICK! Someone analyse then explain!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Something tells me I should be extremely excited about this but I'm not sure exactly what. \

Can someone please read the article and, after a thorough analysis, please explain to the class exactly what the hell Apple is up to???

Quote:

Apple patent app details revolutionary ‘Universal Appliance’

Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:06 AM EST

"On February 14, the US Patent & Trademark Office published Apple’s patent application titled Universal Appliance. Apple’s patent generally relates to a universal appliance that combines the benefits of a fixed-function CE device with the generality of a PC. The universal appliance includes a host environment which could support one or more fixed functions and virtual machines capable of running Microsoft’s Windows OS amongst others such as Linux," Neo reports for MacNN.

"In some implementations, a universal appliance service provider other than Apple, such as your local cable provider could deliver this device. Apple’s revolutionary appliance could be seen as a Web 2.0 device - being that it will easily allow Skype and Flickr to play a role in this device and could allow a user to super customize the interface with Widgets of their choosing. Apple’s work with Google is evident in that there’s an interface component geared to dish up advertising – which could be seen as a marketing implementation that a cable provider could use to help subsidize the device. The universal appliance will integrate a phone handset, could play games, run applications and offer other vital consumer oriented applications such as live television or provide options to obtain content from iTunes or other third party developers," Neo reports.

Apple’s Summary

A universal appliance combines the benefits of a fixed-function CE device with the generality of a PC. The universal appliance includes a host environment which can support one or more fixed functions and virtual machines that can provide general computing capabilities (e.g., a Windows OS). The operation of the virtual machine is isolated from the host environment supporting the fixed functions, so if a virtual machine becomes unstable or is otherwise compromised (e.g., infected with a virus), the underlying fixed functions are not affected.

The user can select fixed functions and virtual machines for operation on the universal appliance. In some implementations, software environments, including the fixed functions and virtual machines, can be delivered by a universal appliance service provider over a network or other communication medium. The software environments for fixed functions and virtual machines can also be delivered by a removable or portable medium (e.g., a USB flash drive, compact disk, media player, mobile phone). After the software is delivered it can be automatically installed, thus avoiding the need for manual installation by the user. A universal interface can be provided with the universal appliance that adjusts automatically to display one or more user interface elements for the selected fixed functions and/or virtual machines in an aesthetic manner. Twenty-four hour server functions can be provided with the universal appliance to allow for automatic data backup, remote access to personal data and an Internet telephone that can accept calls 24 hours a day.

Read it over at macdailynews.......http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/16394/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Have you ever thought of using a thread title that's actually descriptive, rather than something which provides no information and is littered with ALL CAPS and !!!!

?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Have you ever thought of using a thread title that's actually descriptive, rather than something which provides no information and is littered with ALL CAPS and !!!!

?

Well the "!!!!" stays! And one word in caps "quick" un-nerves you to such a degree that that is all you have to comment? Yes, I was going to include "universal appliance" in the title but that was going to make the thread title too long. If the admins want to change the title of the thread then I welcome them to it because I can't edit it. But can we please talk about the actual content now? Or should this discussion about a potentially tech industry-wide game changing device by Apple go to an Apple discussion site where the action really is because its apparently not here!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    For the record, only a single question mark or exclamation mark is required, or indeed necessary. They're not multiplicative.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

For the record, only a single question mark or exclamation mark is required, or indeed necessary. They're not multiplicative.

What the...........*sigh* Duly noted sir and/or madam. Hello? *note the one question mark* Game changing device......Apple.......something to talk about.......

I give up. I'll be at macrumors. Maybe someone there is interested about Apple's future products.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What the...........*sigh* Duly noted sir and/or madam. Hello? *note the one question mark* Game changing device......Apple.......something to talk about.......

I give up. I'll be at macrumors. Maybe someone there is interested about Apple's future products.

See you there.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Macdailynews took down their article (suspicious). But here is another link:

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...onsumer_elect/
  • Reply 7 of 38
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    It's okay folks. I just got off the phone with Olternaut's doctor and he is going to up the meds…

;^p
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

It's okay folks. I just got off the phone with Olternaut's doctor and he is going to up the meds?

;^p

Which reminds me......I have to talk to Personnel and discuss whether I should have my health coverage cover pharmacy costs as well. Anyways, has anyone actually read the article and/or patent and figured out what Apple is up to? I sware to gawd if some idiot says no I'm going take a triple dose of dayquil and then torment you all with rants from now til doomsday!
  • Reply 9 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I know exactly what they intend to do and frankly the idea is hot.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Hold the phone!

Apparently it was a mistake and it was misreported that the new product is Apple's Apparently, the company the patent belongs to is actually "moka5".

http://www.moka5.com/

I will try to find out more later.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I'd suggest reading these:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/guidelines.html

I'll quote guideline number 9:

Quote:

Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums. Furthermore, threads with no original content will not be allowed. Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.

Respect the board, and the board will respect you
  • Reply 12 of 38
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Right. And this NOT an Apple patent application. Move on, close this thread, please!

... and in fact it would be nice to close or regroup all the "MBP delay" threads that are anyway useless.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Right. And this NOT an Apple patent application. Move on, close this thread, please!

... and in fact it would be nice to close or regroup all the "MBP delay" threads that are anyway useless.

Wait! Before we all move on I would like to hear more from wizard69 on what exactly this thing is? And how this might potentially effect Apple down the line. Amazing. This thing got reported as an Apple patent and spread around the entire internet like wildfire before someone said that it wasn't apple.

Wizard? Exactly what do you know?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

Got it flounder. Make sure all thread titles are geeky, boring, and sure to put readers into a coma before they are even able to click on the link. Duly noted thanks. :sarcastic thumbsup:
  • Reply 15 of 38
    In all fairness... If you think Olternaut is being "dramatic" now, you should have seen him when he was posting "Leave Brittany Alone" videos on Youtube!!!

/tears Leave Olternaut Alone!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

In all fairness... If you think Olternaut is being "dramatic" now, you should have seen him when he was posting "Leave Brittany Alone" videos on Youtube!!!

/tears Leave Olternaut Alone!!!!!!

lol. I've got to check out this "leave brittany alone" video to what all the fuss is about.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Got it flounder. Make sure all thread titles are geeky, boring, and sure to put reader's into a coma before they are even able to click on the link. Duly noted thanks. :sarcastic thumbsup:

Precisely where does the posting guideline say they need to be geeky and boring? It simply says they need to be informative, and the post needs to contain some of your own content.

I'm trying to be helpful. Virtually every thread you start has an incredibly annoying title with caps and exclamation points that obfuscate your purpose and detract, not enhance, the message you're trying to convey.

Trust me, !!! and OH MY GOD LOOK AT THIS NOW! #@# and other similar things that tell the reader nothing about the topic you've started don't make anyone want to read them. It makes it far more likely they'll never click on the subject to begin with.

The posting guidelines are there for a reason.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Got it flounder. Make sure all thread titles are geeky, boring, and sure to put reader's into a coma before they are even able to click on the link. Duly noted thanks. :sarcastic thumbsup:

As opposed to...what? Sounding like they're written by a 4th grader with Tourette's?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

The board will never respect you. If the poll demographics are true, most people here are teenage losers that take offense to anything and everything!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

As opposed to...what? Sounding like they're written by a 4th grader with Tourette's?

............Yes yes dang it a 4th grader with tourettes! Wait. Flounder responded lemme read it.

*sigh*

response: Fine flounder. Actually, my posting habits usually include thread titles that are indeed informative and have some sort of description on the content. And they usually are in general.......responsible.........conforming. But in recent years I have become extremely impatient and easily annoyed and I've just about had it with it.....all. \

So I need to find ways to stimulate my mind before society finally does crush my soul out of existence.

So when it comes to tech news and opinions from moi no boring posts from me.....EVAR!!!

EDIT: You should see how I play battlefield2: project reality. I become a kid again and I raise hell like I'm avenging the death of someone I know or something. =]