Next-gen Intel notebook chips to exceed 3.0GHz

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm thinking they will go from the current non-Santa Rosa Merom chip to the 22x22mm Montevinas in the Fall. There may also be a price drop for the MBA as the Montevina chips will more standardized.

If they could get the MBA down to $1,599, that would sell a lot more machines.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

MBAir uses 20W parts, and it seems like they use their own qualification bin.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3203

I don't think it would be smart to go to a higher watt chip. Maybe a refresh would have 1.8GHz & 2GHz chips.

Thanks for that Jeff. i was looking for that article but couldn't find it. So, you think same processing power but less electricity consumption? You could be right, unless, of course, Apple blindsides us again with another unique chip?
  • Reply 43 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

So, does this mean not macbook upgrades until summer????

I figure 2?8 weeks after the MBPS updates we'll see MB updates. Not very helpful, but certainly before summer... i think. \
  • Reply 44 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope Montevina also means a notable battery life increase. The reason I haven't retired my MB is that the battery life isn't what I need for my trips.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Thanks for that Jeff. i was looking for that article but couldn't find it. So, you think same processing power but less electricity consumption? You could be right, unless, of course, Apple blindsides us again with another unique chip?

The chip isn't unique, just the packaging.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:

I hope Montevina also means a notable battery life increase. The reason I haven't retired my MB is that the battery life isn't what I need for my trips.

What's your practical useage on the battery? You might get 15% more with the newer chips, aside from any other improvements. If LED backlights drop enough in price, that could be a bit more.

Don't some battery manufacturers offer longer life batteries for the MacBook?
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:

What's your practical useage on the battery? You might get 15% more with the newer chips, aside from any other improvements. If LED backlights drop enough in price, that could be a bit more.

Don't some battery manufacturers offer longer life batteries for the MacBook?

I'd like at least 5 hours of usage for watching movies and surfing the internet while flying, now that 2008 seems to be he year airlines get onboard with satellite internet.

Ideally, I'd like someone to make a larger bottom for the Air that holds an extra pound of battery. That should be good for international flights.

There are external batteries that have MagSafe adapters so as soon as they have one that mimics the Air's low-profile connector I may jump ship then.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:

I'd like at least 5 hours of usage for watching movies and surfing the internet while flying, now that 2008 seems to be he year airlines get onboard with satellite internet.

Ideally, I'd like someone to make a larger bottom for the Air that holds an extra pound of battery. That should be good for international flights.

There are external batteries that have MagSafe adapters so as soon as they have one that mimics the Air's low-profile connector I may jump ship then.

five hours is really good for most any laptop, esp watching movies.

I suspect we'll see something with the connector before too long, but it might be expensive.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

For those who want to know some details about the prices/models, here they are:

I notice that they're not revealing the clock frequency (or price) of the mobile quad-core at the top of that list.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I notice that they're not revealing the clock frequency (or price) of the mobile quad-core at the top of that list.

Yes, that's the only speed that has not been leaked (yet). Given the amount of cache, my guess is that it could be a 2.53GHz part (like two P9500 on one package). Price is supposed to be $999.

Montevina is the real 2008 update:
    • faster clock

• faster FSB

• faster/more efficient DDR3 RAM

• better power management

• better integrated graphics

• more models to accomodate more designs: high-end notebooks, AIO, standard notebooks, smaller notebooks, less expensive notebooks, smaller desktops...

• Reply 51 of 90
    will they update the Macbook Pros (Motevina) in June then? Or does the iMac get it first, then we have to wait 2009 or Sept for the Macbook Pros to get Motevina?

cause I am not sure weather to wait for the Penryn or just wait till June when they announce Motevina.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

will they update the Macbook Pros (Motevina) in June then? Or does the iMac get it first, then we have to wait 2009 or Sept for the Macbook Pros to get Motevina?

cause I am not sure weather to wait for the Penryn or just wait till June when they announce Motevina.

Intel is slated to release Montevina in June but history has shown that Apple will not implement the new mobile chips for a couple months. If you can't wait until the fall for a MBP you may want to consider the first Penryn-based MBPs coming out shortly.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:

Intel is slated to release Montevina in June but history has shown that Apple will not implement the new mobile chips for a couple months. If you can't wait until the fall for a MBP you may want to consider the first Penryn-based MBPs coming out shortly.

thanks a lot, yah I won't be able to wait a couple months, I'll definitely need one for the summer time then. Oh well, I'll just look on the brightisde, when I graduate and find a real job, I'll just save up for the Motevina. Or I'll sell
  • Reply 54 of 90
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Even if there was no competition, Intel has to compete with their existing product in the field. Computers can easily last 10+ years but part of the reason people usually don't use them that long is because new ones are so much faster. If the new ones weren't faster, then there's less reason to upgrade. The progress might slow down, but generally it won't stop for the above reason.

Nobody said it stopped, but it was implied that Intel continued developing at the same rate regardless of competition, which is absurd.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

If chip performance doesn't rise in a timely manner, then Intel's sales fall, because why buy new machines if the performance is little changed?

It sounds like you actually believe this. Very quaint.

Since about 1999, performance HAS NOT CHANGED for 99% of what people use computers for. Yeah, gamers keep buying new computers, but a 800 Mhz P3 with 1 GB of RAM runs the internet, email, and itunes just as fast as a brand new Vista PC.

Sure Intel competes with itself. But really, 90% of sales these days give Intel a sale so that the user can get a bigger hard drive, a nicer screen or some other thing unrelated to "speed".

Plus, Intel competing with itself is a whole lot easier than competing with an actual company. When Intel competes with itself, both parties want to maximize Intel's profits. When Intel competes with AMD, the situation is slightly different.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Yes, that's the only speed that has not been leaked (yet). Given the amount of cache, my guess is that it could be a 2.53GHz part (like two P9500 on one package). Price is supposed to be $999.

That sounds right to me, as the desktop Q9300 will be a 2.5GHz/1333Mhz part.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

No- you think?
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The 3.06Ghz will more than likely be in the iMac refresh this year and in the MBP sometime in 2009.

Naive question, I know, but anybody care to hazard a guess as to when that "iMac refresh" might take place?

And is it likely to mean a price boost?
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmgw View Post

Naive question, I know, but anybody care to hazard a guess as to when that "iMac refresh" might take place?

And is it likely to mean a price boost?

? http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

• Reply 60 of 90
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

That would defeat the whole purpose of the Air. Have you ever added a larger battery to a cell phone or video camera? It's bulkier and heavier and just ruins the form of it. Can't you just plug it in on flight as you can on a train? It's too bad this Air just wasn't meant to be in the air if you can't carry on a spare battery.