UK iTunes Store price drop; BBC on iTunes; iPhone software 2.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mode2 View Post

Yes they are on iTunes now with :

Torchwood

Little Britain ( though theres only the "i'm Gay" song so far )

Spooks

The Mighty Boosh

Life on Mars

The Catherine Tate Show

Two Pints of Lager and a Packed of Crisps..

well done beep .. now get more stuff on there to show the rest of them channels that iTunes is the way to go

They need Top Gear. This is one of the best shows ever... EVER!
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:

NOKIA has already been KNOCKED OUT of smart phone contention. Add corporate server support and RIM looks like it too could get REAMED.

I love stupid posts like this. I'd love to know how you've come to this conclusion considering the absolute phenomenal success they are having with the N95, whose popularity doesn't seem to be yet waning. Nokia easily outships Apple in terms of smartphone sales (not that I'd even call the iPhone a smartphone until they add basically funtionality like bluetooth transfers, the ability to install additional apps etc). So really, the iPhone has to be compared with the 'dumbphone' market right now, and I'm under the impression that Nokia ships about 250million handsets a quarter. Makes 4 million iPhones look pretty weedy in comparison really.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    wooohoo! BBC TV shows on iTunes! I wish they would add more than just one series though, like one series of Spooks isn't quite enough! Still haven't noticed any price drops though.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

wooohoo! BBC TV shows on iTunes! I wish they would add more than just one series though, like one series of Spooks isn't quite enough! Still haven't noticed any price drops though.

Yeah I'd love to watch the first few series as I've not seen them
  • Reply 25 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I love stupid posts like this. I'd love to know how you've come to this conclusion considering the absolute phenomenal success they are having with the N95, whose popularity doesn't seem to be yet waning. Nokia easily outships Apple in terms of smartphone sales (not that I'd even call the iPhone a smartphone until they add basically funtionality like bluetooth transfers, the ability to install additional apps etc). So really, the iPhone has to be compared with the 'dumbphone' market right now, and I'm under the impression that Nokia ships about 250million handsets a quarter. Makes 4 million iPhones look pretty weedy in comparison really.

Apple did seem to rush things, ship something that's a bit short on features, but they have been adding some. The SDK is supposed to be available in less than a month. I expect them to catch up pretty quickly.

Someone said Nokia shipped 18M smartphones last year, but that's probably to just about every country that exists. iPhone is only shipping directly to four countries, and still managed 4M units, about 8 months now for one market, two or three for the remaining three. iPhone is a bit of an unusual device, but I think you're really pushing your credibility by labeling it a dumbphone, I bet the remaining 232 Million Nokia handsets don't stack up in user interface or media playback.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

I call BS as well.

Just as an FYI here is a good reason why Flash will NOT happen. http://daringfireball.net/2008/02/flash_iphone_calculus

A good part of his argument is predicated on the "mobile web". The problem with hinging the argument like that is that Apple has been marketing iPhone as having the "real internet", rather than the cut-down internet that handset devices are usually known to have.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A good part of his argument is predicated on the "mobile web". The problem with hinging the argument like that is that Apple has been marketing iPhone as having the "real internet", rather than the cut-down internet that handset devices are usually known to have.

I see what you're saying, but I believe the "mobile web" that he is speaking of simply means "on the go."

And what he seems to be saying, (not sure if I agree or not yet) is that Apple is really pushing for 'standards' that they can control, in this case through WebKit.

He makes a good case for the most part, but saying Apple's iPhone / iPod Touch sales aren't being hurt at all by the fact that Flash is absent through Safari, is definitely an arguable point.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Apple did seem to rush things, ship something that's a bit short on features, but they have been adding some. The SDK is supposed to be available in less than a month. I expect them to catch up pretty quickly.

They haven't been catching up quickly so far. Why do you think they will now?

Further, some of the issues are endemic to the UI and the core software and require Apple to fix them, not a third party app. A third party isn't going to rewrite the radio stack or the bluetooth profiles.

Quote:

Someone said Nokia shipped 18M smartphones last year, but that's probably to just about every country that exists.

18M Last quarter, not year was what I'd read. I can't remember where I read that though and I'm on my mobile just now so googling is a pain.

However, if you want yearly, they shipped 437.1m phones last year. 38million Nseries and 7million Eseries. Both the N and E would be traditionally what you'd call smartphones if you want to attach a label that Apple is unhappy with. They sold 60.5million 'converged devices', 146m music phones, 200m cameraphones.

Source: http://www.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_828291

As I said, 'KNOCKED OUT' is a little off reality.

Quote:

iPhone is only shipping directly to four countries, and still managed 4M units, about 8 months now for one market, two or three for the remaining three. iPhone is a bit of an unusual device, but I think you're really pushing your credibility by labeling it a dumbphone, I bet the remaining 232 Million Nokia handsets don't stack up in user interface or media playback.

437.1m and IME some of the non-smartphone media phones are pretty slick though not neccessarily from Nokia. The SE Walkman phones are great little phones. Our kids have two and they don't use their iPods anymore. Hardly any of their friends do either and none of them want an iPhone as it's 'useless'* at texting and bluetooth where I use the 13-year old girl definition of 'useless'.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If anyone can get away with calling this software update 2.0 it's Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You could then copy info from, say, a website, and then paste it to, say, an SMS or email. It's really the only option.

I only hope that it's more robust than Clipboard for Mac OS X. Meaning, allow you to save multiple clipboards, allow you to edit the data within the Clipboard, and save the clipboard for future use.

The article was talking about "send files to the clipboard via email or bluetooth", not sending contents within the clipboard to email or Bluetooth. In other words, via email or Bluetooth connection, you can send files to iPhone's clipboard.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

The article was talking about "send files to the clipboard via email or bluetooth", not sending contents within the clipboard to email or Bluetooth. In other words, via email or Bluetooth connection, you can send files to iPhone's clipboard.

Point taken. Poor comprehension on my part.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You could then copy info from, say, a website, and then paste it to, say, an SMS or email. It's really the only option.

I only hope that it's more robust than Clipboard for Mac OS X. Meaning, allow you to save multiple clipboards, allow you to edit the data within the Clipboard, and save the clipboard for future use.

yes, same here.
    • I do wonder why Numbers show us as a .zip file but Excel can be viewed? That seems a bit weird.

• iPhone can hold photos and videos, but why can't I have a files folder that i can load a bunch of files into and view them and send them??

• Why can't i forward contact information?

• Why can't i save files from an email to a folder?

• Why is there no conversion widget?

• Why can't my Form Field data be remembered?

• No voice recorder? This seems silly not to have?

• Why can Jobs view his iPhone on a big screen, but we can't??

2.0 can't get here quick enough.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Ha!

Ironically, given the current exchange rate, 73p is now the cheapest you can buy iTunes tracks in Europe.

73p = 97 (Euro)cents

By comparison Americans are paying 67 (Euro)cents.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quit whining or they'll call it

iPhone '08 or

iPhone Vista (gack!)

speaking of whining, the only one I'll agree with on that previously posted list was the camera gripe. If it were a GOOD 2MP camera with flash and maybe a little zoom, that would be great!
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMiC View Post

yes, same here.
    1. I do wonder why Numbers show us as a .zip file but Excel can be viewed? That seems a bit weird.

2. iPhone can hold photos and videos, but why can't I have a files folder that i can load a bunch of files into and view them and send them??

3. Why can't i forward contact information?

4. Why can't i save files from an email to a folder?

5. Why is there no conversion widget?

6. Why can't my Form Field data be remembered?

7. No voice recorder? This seems silly not to have?

8. Why can Jobs view his iPhone on a big screen, but we can't??

1. That is odd. You'd think they offer built suport for their own products before others.

2. It would be nice to use it as a USB drive. Even dynamically creating a partition with FAT32.

3. This should have been there from day one. at least the ability to email my vCard like I can do with AddressBook.

4. You could IMAP or just taking care of it when you get to you machine, but having a local folder option would be nice.

5. There are lots of widgets that should have been included or listed as options to install within iTunes. (e,g: currency convertor, flight tracker)

6. It can be remembered if the webpage was setup to do so. I think Meebo saves the username and password fields as a cookie, but I'm not sure.

7. Like the common widgets, it should have been there.

8. We can't? I thought there was a dock that allowed for video out. I've never looked so I could be dead wrong.

• Reply 36 of 54
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

yeah, "anyone" else would call their new mobile OS "Panorama Ultimate edition service pack 2 PLUS!", and people would want to downgrade after installing it.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

If they weren't missing features in the first place they'd have nothing to add. But keep beta testing it for us hold outs and they'll have it perfect by the time they add 3G.

This assumes that if Apple added everything from the very beginning that it would all work as well as if more function is added over time. Apple's explanation is that we will add over time as we figure out how to make it all work well. So we aren't beta testing because everything works.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Why can't I.....X,Y,Z

The funny thing about list like this is that no one phone does all of this. And no one phone with a long feature list performs all of its functions equally well.

Its easier to make a long list of requests its not so easy to create a device that performs all of those requests well.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Just as an FYI here is a good reason why Flash will NOT happen. http://daringfireball.net/2008/02/flash_iphone_calculus

I don't think thats any reason at all. I think the author of that linked post is overestimating the impact flash would have on the iPhone. If flash had been on the phone from day one, It may have had a bigger impact on application development in that video, audio, and other functionality may have been more easily integrated into a web application than using solely Javascript/AJAX techniques.

At the very least, it would have offered another platform for devs familiar with actionscript.

However, with the imminent release of the native Cocoa API, there isn't a compelling reason for many to spend time on iPhone flash development, other than web app developers that are only familiar with the flash platform. Flash has the same major disadvantage as AJAX web applications, in that you need network access to view them. Also, Although I am not very familiar with Flash lite that runs on Windows Mobile and Symbian, I'm assuming Flash will be very processor intensive and not be nearly as responsive as a native ObjC Cocoa application.

In my mind, I see Apple viewing Flash as just another check on the feature list, but something that many viewers would like to have, especially since the competition has this as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlip78 View Post

I think you mean the license FEE. As in the British television tax that funds the BBC operations in the UK (it is not a commercial organisation). The government did not allow to BBC to increase the fee by as much as they wanted and the BBC is trying to make up the short fall through other means such as BBC Worldwide (which is it international commercial subsidiary).

I wish the USA had a taxpayer subsidized station that could be free of corporate and advertiser influence. It could possibly make a small island of real information in a sea of crap. I mean seriously, when people are actually watching Faux News and believeing they are offering objective reporting, there has been a major failure in media, government, and citizenship responsibility.

well, enough of pipe dream babbling...
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Total BS on the iPhone 2.0 software. I mean, it's going to be a big upgrade, but not a total overhaul. Look at Mac OS X, only big software upgrades get the .x name like Leopard, Tiger, Panther, etc. Same thing with Apple TV, big overhaul to the software, gets named Take 2.

I think it'll be 1.2 and I'm really really hoping for a 3G announcement for the iPhone. I know how secretive Apple is, but if they don't say anything, the FCC filing will. I just want an idea when it's coming so I can save money and buy one. 3G and the SDK will make the iPhone even better.