Should I change the HDD in my MBP

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I believe your AppleCare will be sound, but if you ever need to have repairs on the machine, and Apple deems "in their infinite wisdom" that your hard drive is bad, they will replace it with the stock drive and you'll be out one expensive hard drive upgrade. No compensation. So keep that old drive around, and drop it back in if you ever need repairs.

No... Apple will NOT replace this at all. I asked the tech on upgrades... They will only replace Apple logo-branded drives. I can buy the drive from Apple & pay the tech to put it in... then after that ALL is covered under warranty.

If I buy my own drive, I have to pay Apple serivce tech to install if under warranty & pay to have it switched if it ever dies.

If you do it yourself or take it somewhere non-Apple certified it will VOID warranty, including applecare.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

Put a SamSung 250G sata drive in there (HM-250Ji model). Take a look at TomsHardware and Storage review. This 250G 5400 PMR drive puts many 7200 rpm drive to shame...

Think I will try Samsung for my next round of hard drives. WD & Seagate ship refurb drives as replacements.

My old Powerbook & new MBP has lost Hitachi, Toshiba & Fujitsu drives.