Apple slashes iPod shuffle price, introduces 2GB model

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jemster View Post

By fan site I mean a site set up by people not associated with Apple in any way other than liking their products... you call it a mac news site, I call it a fan site, same difference. As far as I'm aware AI is in exactly the same position?

No, they are very different. Macworld doesn't report on rumors, unless the news is about the rumor itself. AI is a fan site, much of the articles, and forums, are rumors. Most of what we, the members, write about, are rumors, or rampant speculation. Though even AI isn't the furthest out on that.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jemster View Post

By fan site I mean a site set up by people not associated with Apple in any way other than liking their products... you call it a mac news site, I call it a fan site, same difference. As far as I'm aware AI is in exactly the same position?

Nope. It's an actual published magazine, a news source. And the source of their info is usually Apple itself (unless they credit the info to someone else). It's not like AI at all, which is a rumor site.

In regard to the rest of your ranting, you turned out to be wrong. You were convinced that apple wasn't lowering prices, when it turned out they were going to but just hadn't updated the UK site. There was even a news source reporting the UK price, but you still insisted they weren't lowering prices. Don't you just want to let it go now and move on?
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Wonder if we'll get some decent colors. Not a fan of the pastels they currently have. (would have to give up my cool orange model)
  • Reply 64 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Wonder if we'll get some decent colors. Not a fan of the pastels they currently have. (would have to give up my cool orange model)

I have an orange one too. Though I'm usually not a fan of orange.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    A $50 iPod is great! I'm going to pick one up for the gym.

If only Apple could think of a way to put a small display on it for simple navigation. That would be nice

I like what iRiver has done. They use a small screen and the edges are touch sensitive, much like an iPod patent filed a while back. Its almost the same size as a shuffle. I know Apple can do this but cooler and better.

Huge diff in price though, Shuffle is $49-79, iRiver is $159 and up!

• Reply 66 of 74
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

i really don't see how this is going to change anything.

If you already own one as I do there is abolutely no need for a new one. Many if not most people use them for the gym and an hour - 1 1/2 hour workout has more than enough music on it.

Sure there is - at least for me. I don't always have access to my iTunes library - sometimes for 3-5 days at a time. I think it's still too small at 2GB. I'd love to have a 4GB Shuffle. But, that's just my opinion.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

A $50 iPod is great! I'm going to pick one up for the gym.

If only Apple could think of a way to put a small display on it for simple navigation. That would be nice

I like what iRiver has done. They use a small screen and the edges are touch sensitive, much like an iPod patent filed a while back. Its almost the same size as a shuffle. I know Apple can do this but cooler and better.

Huge diff in price though, Shuffle is $49-79, iRiver is $159 and up!

That's pretty slick looking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Sure there is - at least for me. I don't always have access to my iTunes library - sometimes for 3-5 days at a time. I think it's still too small at 2GB. I'd love to have a 4GB Shuffle. But, that's just my opinion.

Are you encoding lossless? For typical bitrates, I don't go through 1GB on a charge, as in, for me, a 1GB iPod needs to be recharged before it needs to be refilled. That said, mine is a nano, maybe a shuffle lasts a lot longer. But still, I doubt that it's a lot more than twice as long, so 2GB should be fine, save for high bitrates.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see Apple implementing this now as capacity is doubling much faster than our desire to double audio bitrates.

But Apple already has implemented it. Somewhere there's code that says "if the thing connected is a Shuffle then enable this feature". All they - or some ingenious hackers - have to do is strip out that logic and enable it for all iPods.

- Jasen.

P.S. Anyone know of third party software that does this? Bonus points if it works with the iTunes library.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

But Apple already has implemented it. Somewhere there's code that says "if the thing connected is a Shuffle then enable this feature". All they - or some ingenious hackers - have to do is strip out that logic and enable it for all iPods.

We discussed Apple implementing it when the 512MB Shuffle came on the scene. If Apple didn't include it as an option for all iPods already do you think they will now?
  • Reply 70 of 74
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

TAre you encoding lossless? For typical bitrates, I don't go through 1GB on a charge, as in, for me, a 1GB iPod needs to be recharged before it needs to be refilled. That said, mine is a nano, maybe a shuffle lasts a lot longer. But still, I doubt that it's a lot more than twice as long, so 2GB should be fine, save for high bitrates.

Nope. Just standard coding. I know that it's a lot of storage. I'm just wishing for a larger one. When they come out with a 4GB Shuffle, I'm sure that I'll want an 8GB or even 16GB one.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    How come the UK store only has £32 1GB models?
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

How come the UK store only has £32 1GB models?

The US store only has 1GB models too.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Probably because the 2GB shuffle won't be released until the very end of the month (I know it's only 3/4 days away, but they wouldn't advertise it on their store before it's actually available...)
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The US store only has 1GB models too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post

Probably because the 2GB shuffle won't be released until the very end of the month (I know it's only 3/4 days away, but they wouldn't advertise it on their store before it's actually available...)

Okay, the 2GB models are there now. Given that it was a couple of days, I'm surprised the pre-order option like the Time-Capsule and MBA got wasn't offered.